Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #41
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Hey total newby here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
In re airplanes, Pyramid #3/53 has dogfighting rules derived from the chase rules in Action. I've somehow failed to own that issue, but Pulver wrote the article, so I assume it's good.
It seems plausibly good, at least. I only have one major gripe on a read, and it probably doesn't matter to the OP. (Changing homing missiles to a character skill attack roll is never okay!)

It's modification to the Action 2 rules, not a stand-alone ruleset, so it won't be usable without Action 2.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #42
adblue

Ok! thanks for all the advice! I've heard of RPG systems that do the two fisted tales setting quite well. But I don't plan on doing only two fisted tales in the future. My inability to focus on a genre for more than one campaign means that I don't really want to invest in a "game in a can" as its been called. I've downloaded GURPS lite and I'm going to screw around with character creation there and see if it feels right. From what I've seen of the rules so far they seem to be broadly similar to a superhero RPG called Icons I played once or twice. It's kind of overwhelming how much support GURPS has, but conceptually at least it seems like the right system for me.

Thanks again for all the advice! I've never seen a forum so eager to help newbies!
adblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #43
AlexanderHowl

I actually think GURPS has one of the best combat systems in existence, which can be calibrated for a desired level of crunch and lethality as desired. You want unarmed combat attacks to do FP damage? Easy enough to change unarmed damage from crushing to fatigue for living targets and just crushing against nonliving targets (lethal strike would likely change the damage to crushing versus living targets and piercing versus nonliving targets).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #44
Black Leviathan

Don't overwhelm yourself.
Looking through the core rules and the lists of different sourcebooks is a bit like looking at the menu at Cheesecake Factory. You're all "That's 108 different cheesecakes, I can't eat that much cheesecake! nobody can eat that much cheesecake!!" Get a handle on the core rules and what they offer. Narrow down what you need. Take material from source books where it suits you. Let the rest fade away.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #45
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblue View Post
Ok! thanks for all the advice! I've heard of RPG systems that do the two fisted tales setting quite well. But I don't plan on doing only two fisted tales in the future. My inability to focus on a genre for more than one campaign means that I don't really want to invest in a "game in a can" as its been called. I've downloaded GURPS lite and I'm going to screw around with character creation there and see if it feels right. From what I've seen of the rules so far they seem to be broadly similar to a superhero RPG called Icons I played once or twice. It's kind of overwhelming how much support GURPS has, but conceptually at least it seems like the right system for me.

Thanks again for all the advice! I've never seen a forum so eager to help newbies!
If that's your goal, you're definitely making the right choice, then.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #46
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
My inability to focus on a genre for more than one campaign means that I don't really want to invest in a "game in a can" as its been called. I've downloaded GURPS lite and I'm going to screw around with character creation there and see if it feels right.
This is a good plan. You may find that Lite doesn't have all the character creation details you want. This is to be expected: there is more in the Basic Set, and other books. If you can't figure put how to do something, ask here.
Quote:
I've never seen a forum so eager to help newbies!
We try! GURPS writing and publishing tends to stress clarity and openness, and the dedicated fans you find here support that style.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #47
Colarmel

GURPS has a core conceit that is super simple. 3d6 roll low. There's a lot of support with specialized rules and stats for specific models of gun or plane or dinosaur. But I've spent the last year or so on a deep dive to high system mastery rigid rules adherence stuff and I learned GURPS is at its best when you get comfortable with, "I don't know if there's a rule here. Just roll against X." If you don't have detailed dogfighting rules just do a quick contest for position and allow a piloting based Dodge against shooting. Are those the rules? I don't know, but if it's fun, who cares?

Last edited by Colarmel; 03-15-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #48
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Are those the rules? I don't know, but if it's fun, who cares
Those are the rules, because GURPS is precisely designed to be as simple and fast-moving or as detailed as the GM and the players want. It is clearly written in the introduction.

Actually, all rules but the very basic ones (roll 3d6 against the stat you are testing) are optional.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #49
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
If you don't have detailed dogfighting rules just do a quick contest for position and allow a piloting based Dodge against shooting.
I prefer half Piloting/Driving/Boating + Maneuver Rating... but that's just me....
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
Ok! thanks for all the advice! I've heard of RPG systems that do the two fisted tales setting quite well. But I don't plan on doing only two fisted tales in the future. My inability to focus on a genre for more than one campaign means that I don't really want to invest in a "game in a can" as its been called.
In that case using GURPS becomes a much better choice. There are a lot of genres for which GURPS isn't the best choice; but for many of those it's quite a reliable second choice, not much worse than the single best choice and more adaptable to other genres.

Since 1992, I've run 35 campaigns of lengths from six months to several years (I started my longest-running one in 2014). Of those, 15 have been in GURPS, in varied genres: classic science fiction, modern fantasy, postapocalyptic, weird, contemporary science fiction (mixed with mystery and with cosmic horror), swashbuckling, mythic fantasy, supers, caper, alternate history, historical fantasy, and steampunk/planetary romance. I've found it quite adaptable.

Quote:
I've downloaded GURPS lite and I'm going to screw around with character creation there and see if it feels right. . . It's kind of overwhelming how much support GURPS has, but conceptually at least it seems like the right system for me.
I think that's a sound plan. If you have a specific campaign idea in mind, you can always describe it here and get suggestions for supplements that could be useful—and help in narrowing down to the ones that will actually benefit your particular campaign.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote