Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #1
Tallor

Default Rocs and Elephants -- An inquiry of Lifting and Winged Flight

For the longest time I've wondered, "What's the weight limit on carrying things while using Winged Flight?".

And I'm still wondering that, so I'm asking you! Could a 5oz bird lift a 1lb coconut? What about rocs and elephants--or simply elephant calves?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Rocs and Elephants -- An inquiry of Lifting and Winged Flight

This XKCD What-If reckons the limit for birds of prey is about half their own body weight. The squire/cube problems with Rocs are a different matter.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:30 AM   #3
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This XKCD What-If reckons the limit for birds of prey is about half their own body weight. The squire/cube problems with Rocs are a different matter.
Oh that's simple. Macro-fauna cells are partially magiatrophic, using ambient mana to reinforce bonds between mundane molecules, creating super-strong fibers and also powering muscles... or something.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
For the longest time I've wondered, "What's the weight limit on carrying things while using Winged Flight?".

And I'm still wondering that, so I'm asking you! Could a 5oz bird lift a 1lb coconut? What about rocs and elephants--or simply elephant calves?
I should actually submit this article I wrote on that.

Short answer for RAW is: Your extra-heavy Enc, unless you take some kind of limitation (above and beyond Winged, which just gives you wings that can be crippled to prevent you from flying). Reduce your Fly move (and ground move) as normal for the Enc level you are at. A Roc needs lots of ST, but it should have lots of ST due to its size.

For real birds, you get a wide range. There are quite a few birds that can lift well over their body weight, but none of them are even the size of humans. I propose a new limitation that includes your own body weight in the calculation (removing the somewhat clunky "Requires Low-G" limitation from Biotech) and couples with Arm (here, Wing) ST to get things close.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
The RAW answer is "equal to your extra-heavy encumbrance unless some limitation says otherwise". 'Cannot Hover' will typically limit you to Heavy because carrying an extra load presumably doesn't reduce your minimum airspeed (if your basic flight move is 12 and you have cannot hover, you have to move at least 3, but X-Heavy encumbrance reduces your Move to 2).

Realistically, it's going to depend a lot on the details of how the critter flies and the amount of surplus metabolic power it has.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Humabout

Quote:

I've always run with Cannot Hover requiring a creature to maintain a minimum speed of 1/4 x Air Move, and encumbrance above Heavy reducing it to 1/5 x Air Move. So basically, up to 6xBL before you stall and plummet (or can't lift off).

As for the air speed of an unladen swallow...which species?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
Purple Haze

Encumbrance reducing speed is not the way real world flight works. Generally, if you can get off the ground, being overweight makes it impossible to fly slowly.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
GodBeastX

This question was answered in 3E, not sure why it wasn't in 4E.

I think I'd go with two hand basic lift?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
This question was answered in 3E, not sure why it wasn't in 4E.

I think I'd go with two hand basic lift?
In 4e, the principle is to use the general rule unless a specific one that overrides it. That is, use the same weight that you can carry. Add more limitations on Flight if you don't want to be able to carry as much (though there is some ambiguity about which ones to use).
Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In 4e, the principle is to use the general rule unless a specific one that overrides it. That is, use the same weight that you can carry. Add more limitations on Flight if you don't want to be able to carry as much (though there is some ambiguity about which ones to use).
Maybe Flight with Temporary Disadvantage, Less Strength X, -XX%?

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flight, lifting, winged flight