Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
grimblefig

Default Re: Facepalm On-Demand

Regarding the missile question:

On the one hand, yeah, it depends on the scenario and the opponent. If my opponent brings a lot of GEVs, I will probably fire them at several early on, for example.

On the other, you don't get VP for leftover ammo. At the end of the game, an unfired, undamaged missile is a wasted shot.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Did the AI just get smarter again?
Not that smart. It's still letting degunned Ogres sit around instead of trying to ram until their treads are gone.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Not that smart. It's still letting degunned Ogres sit around instead of trying to ram until their treads are gone.
If you completely ignore the Mk V missiles it will kill your CP, so I guess that's an improvement?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #24
ianargent

Almost all my time has been spent with Mk.III Ogres, which have few enough missiles that "use them or lose them" means they launch early. The times I've played with or against a Mk.V, I tend to spend one or two early, then salvo the remainder to thin out the howling mob getting ready to surround me.

Against Ogres, I more or less ignore the Mk.III missiles; by the time they're a priority target the tubes ought to be empty anyway. The Mk.V, missiles rank behind MB and around the same priority as SB - it really depends on my surviving force mix, and CP proximity, whether I prioritize missiles, SB, or treads.

(Tabletop and computer play, not just computer play)
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

It's also a conditional decision based on the goal of the scenario. For example, the ultimate goal of a basic Mark (III/V) attack is to stop the ogre. The actual target is the treads; the weapons are secondary targets and important only so far as to make your force more survivable while taking out treads.

Not every scenario is about stopping an ogre. It's very possible to have cases where targeting the missiles wouldn't drastically affect the outcome.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #26
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
It's also a conditional decision based on the goal of the scenario. For example, the ultimate goal of a basic Mark (III/V) attack is to stop the ogre. The actual target is the treads; the weapons are secondary targets and important only so far as to make your force more survivable while taking out treads.
Well, that and occasionally delaying CP destruction to buy a few more turns in which to take out treads...