Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Quasi-real Tained By a Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
What about the reverse? How much should an advantage cost that only gives access to chi/cinematic skills, perks and techniques, but doesn't halve penalties for rapid strikes and multiple parries?
Well, my suggestion of -20% was for only removing the cinematic skills, not all the various techniques or perks. I'd price a limitation that removed access to all of the cinematic skills stuff at -30%, and price the reverse, "Only cinematic skills/technique access" at -70%. So, 9 points, basically.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
AlexanderHowl

I think that you need to forbid Cinematic Perks, Skills, and Techniques for a limitation at -30%.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
(...) take TBAM at 30 pts and Mundane Background at -10 and use pricing of items in the Basic Set.
Quote:
In my experience, most PCs take the maximum number of disadvantages, so this would be a reshuffling of points but not a savings.
I agree with this, if you buy a disadvantage it will result in "losing CP from your budget". So, the limitation of -30% on the advantage sounds plausible.

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #14
Railstar

Quote:
What about the reverse? How much should an advantage cost that only gives access to chi/cinematic skills, perks and techniques, but doesn't halve penalties for rapid strikes and multiple parries?
Unusual Background. My "default" price for Unusual Background is [10], on par with Reawakened.

Or Special Exercises perk at 1 point per cinematic advantage (or perk), or Unusual Training perk at 1 point per skill/technique.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
In my experience, most PCs take the maximum number of disadvantages, so this would be a reshuffling of points but not a savings.
Such bizarre gymnastics are yet another reason why I don't use a Disad Limit.

At the moment I can not think of any other subject that has caused more photons to die in vain than "the" Disad limit. There isn't even such a thing as a default one any more.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Or why I run games with a minimum character point value of 250 CP. I have met few people that are willing to take -125 CP of negative traits.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Jareth Valar

Whoa, 2 pages in less than a day. Cool.

So, general consensus seems to be -30%.
-10 seems to be better if this were an advantage of its own, which I think is the way I'll go. TBaM will just include it's benefits an if (BIG if) the game goes cinematic, allow an upgrade to TBaM.

So, what to call it f a new advantage? Master's Disciple? Close Combat Expert? lol, I'm horrible with names. :-(

Thanks for the help everyone
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

Unarmed Master is probably suitable. You could do the same thing with Weapon Master as well, the -30% enhancement, if you want to make people who are just very lethal with weapons.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #19
Jareth Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Unarmed Master is probably suitable. You could do the same thing with Weapon Master as well, the -30% enhancement, if you want to make people who are just very lethal with weapons.
True, though the only thing having both would give would be the extra damage. TbaM already reduces the penalty for Rapid Strike and additional parrying with melee weapons. Though Weapon Master would allow for Thrown weapons too.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Well, I think that most people would take one or the other instead of both. The only time I have seen that was a character who took WM (Bow), TBAM, and Heroic Archer.

Tags
martial arts