Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Orlin

Default Gaming and the Corporate World

While it doesn't come up much in my games, the corporate world is an issue that has a tendency to rear its ugly head once in a blue moon and catch me wildly off-guard. To cite a prime example, I recently ran a game where one of my players decided to take the role of a company president for Heckler & Koch Los Angeles, and after hashing out the details we decided that he was responsible for the business' involvement around the U.S. Western seaboard. I allowed it because I enjoyed the concept that he'd pitched altogether -- a vengeful Malakite of War who "kills deals" by day and "kills demons" by night.

Apart from the most pressing concerns (namely finding ways to restrict his access to finances and high-tech weaponry, which I've managed to do primarily by avoiding the issue of what sort of weapons he owns and to what degree, as well as forcing him to constantly loan out bits and pieces of his arsenal to other needy angels at Michael's behest), I've discovered that I know absolutely nothing about the corporate world. I don't know how corporations are run, what the primary responsibilities of a high-ranking businessman would entail or how to present him with challenges that involve his job.

So far, I've kept the story afloat by shifting the focus toward the people that work for the Malakite, which in turn has allowed me to examine his relationship with humankind. Gina, the hard-working secretary who's suffering through a nasty divorce with an alcoholic husband. Jose, the illegal Mexican janitor who possesses an astounding degree of faith in spite of the hardships he's endured. Bill, the proud Catholic family-man who plays a mean game of Golf, supports three kids and bears a reputation for his absolute ruthlessness in the board room.

Unfortunately, many of the elements I'd like to highlight have been glossed over on account of my ignorance. I have no idea how corporate takeovers work or what manner of responsibilities the Malakite would be forced to endure.

What's the difference between a corporate takeover and a merger? What responsibilities does a CEO have and how are they different from those of a president, a major shareholder or a member of the board of directors? When in role, who does the character answer to? Who are his greatest competitors? Most importantly, what elements of the corporate world can I utilize to enhance the quality of my story?

While I recognize that Heckler and Koch LA probably doesn't really exist, and more importantly that I've handed over an incredible amount of power to an already powerful character, I've made my bed and am prepared to lay in it. The game is enjoyable for both player and GM, and I can be crafty -- but I need to know where I can draw the line within the boundaries of reason. Toward the end of the last session, the character was planning a raid (with several other PC's) on a small Tether of Haagenti and the two of us don't precisely see eye-to-eye on what weapons he should have access to.

His rationale is that his character's position (status 5, role 6) probably comes with an ex-military background, and that his profession entitles him to possess weapons that aren't authorized to civilians. This leads him to believe that, legally or illegally, he could easily have access to anything produced by H&K; I told him that we'd talk about it before the next session began. What do you think?

While I don't expect anyone to be able to break down the complete machinations of the corporate world, any simple advice on how to involve it or need to know information would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, links to sites that may provide useful, (preferably succinct) information would also be helpful. I don't expect anyone to hand me a story arc, but I can certainly hope that someone in the forum has a hand for these sorts of scenarios and can provide some much needed counsel.

I've often found that Hollywood has a great deal to offer the GM who can't afford to whittle away hours researching material that can be better demonstrated on-screen. Personally, I've found that the time I devote to reading is best spent on supplements that are directly related to the game -- although it has never hurt to check the web for religious lore. If anyone knows of some good movies that demonstrate the corporate world and the challenges presented to those who dwell within it, your suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Orlin; 04-13-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Typographical Errors
Orlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roles