Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Lilin

These are evil demons of the night, the children of Lilith. They appear as beautiful humanoids but they have clawed predatory bird like talons for feet and wings on their back. They use an Infernal Sex appeal skill to control humans and if they succeed with their skill the human never notices their unnatural features. The often come in at night to feed on newborns and that is why amulets are used to keep them at bay.

In combat they can use a weapon and their talons on their feel. Their hands an quickly grow long talons for combat if they do not have a weapon handy. When angered they can cause fear by showing the demonic nature in their eyes. They can see in darkness and also create it too. They can also emit a shriek to summon more of their kind.

Their main attack is to use Sex Appear then embrace their victim and then use their back leg talons to tend them. So for this I think that a Grappling or Wrestling skill but I am not sure how to do the rending attack. Any advice?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Lilin

My advice is to build that monster differently. I'm sure you're engaged with the idea of it but it's a derivative of a succubi/harpy and it's a monster type that doesn't work as well with Dungeon Fantasy.

Your player encounters the Lilin in a baby's nursery and approaches it to defend the helpless child. The lilin lures the adventurer into her arms with a critical success in Sex Appeal. Your player looks at you and says "Ok, appealing, but it has claw feet and was about to eat a baby. I mean I'm surely turned on but not convinced this is a legitimate interest in me sexually. I'm going to attack it with my axe.

Give your baby-eating nightmare demon an illusory disguise to hide how hideous and baby-messy it is. Make it only affect one person so when your adventurer's friend comes bursting in and sees her buddy about to be foot-rended she can shout "She doesn't love you for you!".

Make the Lilen baby-eater disgusting looking. Give her the power to silence things in an AOE, so there's no sound of a bay crying or someone bashing in the window shutters and knocking over furniture. You just walk by the baby's room and see a monster about to swallow the baby and as you scream for help you can't hear your voice.

If you really want to foot-rend someone, it would be a close-combat or 1 hex attack doing kick damage modified by the damage for talon claws. Maybe give it a +1 to grapples because that's what talons are supposed to do. If you're bumping uglies I'd say you can't hit above the waist without an impressive feat.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
My advice is to build that monster differently. I'm sure you're engaged with the idea of it but it's a derivative of a succubi/harpy and it's a monster type that doesn't work as well with Dungeon Fantasy.

Your player encounters the Lilin in a baby's nursery and approaches it to defend the helpless child. The lilin lures the adventurer into her arms with a critical success in Sex Appeal. Your player looks at you and says "Ok, appealing, but it has claw feet and was about to eat a baby. I mean I'm surely turned on but not convinced this is a legitimate interest in me sexually. I'm going to attack it with my axe.

Give your baby-eating nightmare demon an illusory disguise to hide how hideous and baby-messy it is. Make it only affect one person so when your adventurer's friend comes bursting in and sees her buddy about to be foot-rended she can shout "She doesn't love you for you!".

Make the Lilen baby-eater disgusting looking. Give her the power to silence things in an AOE, so there's no sound of a bay crying or someone bashing in the window shutters and knocking over furniture. You just walk by the baby's room and see a monster about to swallow the baby and as you scream for help you can't hear your voice.

If you really want to foot-rend someone, it would be a close-combat or 1 hex attack doing kick damage modified by the damage for talon claws. Maybe give it a +1 to grapples because that's what talons are supposed to do. If you're bumping uglies I'd say you can't hit above the waist without an impressive feat.
I meant that it has an Infernal Sex Appeal which means if it succeeds it clouds the minds of those with souls and then in the mind of those deceived the lilin is a beautiful man or woman. Those PCs with Protection from Evil Powers with be able to resist this Infernal power more easily.

And they are not always in baby’s rooms but they enjoy eating them. They will happily devour PCs lost in the desert too. But their motivation is that they are ravenously hungry and hate filled and want to kill and devour babies because of their curse.

I want them to be a little different than the succubis and more powerful and demonic than the harpy.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I want them to be a little different than the succubis.
Why? They're quite clearly a type of succubus.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Why? They're quite clearly a type of succubus.
I like to have a”95 or different types of monsters in my setting. The more the merrier. Succubi are temptresses in place sin and lust while harpy’s are more mundane and part of the monsters left over from the gods of Olympus. My campaign world is set up like GURPS Arabian Nights and Ars Magica where the Divine has conquered the pagan faiths yet there are remnant left begins with ruins to explore and find wealth. The pagan gods are still around and grant powers to their clerics but their religions are very small and isolated.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Black Leviathan

I'm sort of with Anthony here. The description sounds a lot like 1st Edition Monster Manual Succubi, which is cool if that's what you want. But I feel if you go back to the drawing board you could make your Lilin an encounter that's much more interesting and dynamic for your players.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'm sort of with Anthony here. The description sounds a lot like 1st Edition Monster Manual Succubi, which is cool if that's what you want. But I feel if you go back to the drawing board you could make your Lilin an encounter that's much more interesting and dynamic for your players.
You are probably right and it is true seductress monsters are not fun in dungeon delves. Mostly because the Dungeon Fantasy does not have mental hit points that a seductress monster could attack so you are left with just a resistance roll and of the PC fails he is under control of the monster or if the PC succeeds then the encounter turns into combat.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
You are probably right and it is true seductress monsters are not fun in dungeon delves. Mostly because the Dungeon Fantasy does not have mental hit points that a seductress monster could attack so you are left with just a resistance roll and of the PC fails he is under control of the monster or if the PC succeeds then the encounter turns into combat.
Have you tested out your mental hit points idea yet? I know you've talked about it a few times, so I'm curious how it works in play if you end up going with it. (I'm still of a mind that using FP is good enough to model the idea, or possibly reducing Will, but I always enjoy hearing about other house rules.)

As for seductresses and other charm monsters, I think they can work well when used in moderation, especially with good players. I've certainly played at tables where someone was charmed and everyone knew it but kept playing as if they didn't know. This can create a lot of fun tension. And, in the eventual combat, most players I know are happy to turn their abilities against their erstwhile companions for a little intra-party mayhem. Speaking for myself, my playstyle normally epitomizes a Sense of Duty toward my adventuring companions—I'm all about teamwork—but, if a demon possesses me, I'm 100% excited about trying my darndest to sow discord.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote