Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #71
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Your most rememborable GURPS related moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
So after a big production, I declare the mods to the roll and he throws the dice. Three ones! CRITICAL FAILURE!
Last I checked, three ones is a critical success, not a failure...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #72
DangerousThing

Quote:
So after a big production, I declare the mods to the roll and he throws the dice. Three ones! CRITICAL FAILURE!
Don't you mean 3 sixes?

As for operating on one's self, there was the doctor in a scientific base which was snow-locked when she discovered she had breast cancer. After consulting with experts, she did operate on herself successfully.

I wouldn't want to do it, but I'm not a doctor with a potentially fatal illness. I don't even think most doctors would be able to do it either.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #73
Dalillama

Quote:
So the doctor character had stayed behind to look after an NPC. There'd been plenty of warning, so the aliens attacked him when the rest of the party was away. In the course of the combat, he gets impregnated with an alien-egg-thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Don't you mean 3 sixes?

As for operating on one's self, there was the doctor in a scientific base which was snow-locked when she discovered she had breast cancer. After consulting with experts, she did operate on herself successfully.

I wouldn't want to do it, but I'm not a doctor with a potentially fatal illness. I don't even think most doctors would be able to do it either.
There are also a couple of cases of doctors doing their own appendectomies.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #74
Jeffr0

Yeah, three sixes is critical failure. oopsy

I also remember an episode of That's Incredible where a guy removed his own wisdom teeth.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #75
BrockNicholson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Just staying alive requires the slaughter of countless amounts of "life". Most of it just happens to be microscopic. I am unsure if he could survive eating only the elements that don't kill the plant, but I don't care enough to pursue it, so don't worry about "proving" it unless you especially want to. ;)

Perhaps his power set should have included Doesn't Eat/Drink and Doesn't Breathe, perhaps Insubstantial as as well so that he could spend most of his time as an environmentally "friendly" phantom. Some form of self-powered rapid transit would also be useful. Granted, the more powerful he was, the more I would argue that he needed to die for the "greater good", because the character had a very subjective morality because in order for it to be objective, he would have to have been all knowing and perfect.

Note - in spite of how it may seem, all these questions just make the account much more memorable and hilarious to me.
Truth be told, I have no idea if that extreme a level of veganism is doable. I am not my character by a long shot :)

If the game had been one of a more detailed bend, I probably would have given him Doesn't Eat/Doesn't Drink in conjunction with his duplication powers. It's also worth noting that he had a bond with a demon capable of destroying the world. So, his death would have set that loose on the world. He had an obsession with immortality specifically to permanently bind the demon. The all-knowing aspect was something he also consistently sought to achieve and actually contributed to the motivation for betraying the party and taking control of the world sim.

In a somewhat ironic twist, the character actually executed several supers specifically because they were too powerful to safely exist.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #76
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
Truth be told, I have no idea if that extreme a level of veganism is doable. I am not my character by a long shot :)
The is a type of vegetarian called a frutarian that just eats the parts of the plant that would fall off naturally.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #77
Grom

My good friend run a game where we all played space marines (think alien2 - ALIENS) it was very much like that, he called it hub 5. we spent 3 weeks finding out that all human life was gone and a strange red weed was spreading everywhere. when we did eventually find the aliens we managed to get a message to earth on what was going on before the aliens totally overrun us and killed us all, we were gutted. We were then informed by the GM that we were not meant to survive the encounter, just get the message to earth for the next batch of super hard marines to come in and kick ass, so we all rolled up these super marines and started kicking alien ass but soon came to the conclusion we could not kill them all, so with a action movie style ending we were in a bad way and just managed to get off the planet back to the mother ship and requested the planet be nuked, which was okayed by the powers that be back on earth. We launched strategically placed nukes at the planet and turned the who place into a massive fireball and the planet split up and went BOOOOOOM. That did the job. What we have been waiting for is the 3rd part, the voyage home. We have had hints that while we were in cryo sleep something has gone wrong on the mothership. We just dont know what it is, did we accidentally bring some aliens back with us, or is it something else, we will have to wait and see.......
Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #78
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Yeah, three sixes is critical failure. oopsy

I also remember an episode of That's Incredible where a guy removed his own wisdom teeth.
With such a failure I would have been tempted to have a really weird consequence.

Such as: he accidentally fuses the alien embryo to himself and winds up with two heads, one human, one alien, a la Zaphod Beetlebrox.

And the alien head is always conspiring against the human part. Think being a Siamese twin with Dr. Smith of the old "Lost in Space."
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #79
CoffeeMan

We were playing a Banestorm campaign. Our group had just tried to sneak into the "Lighthouse of Death" (our third attempt). An NPC scaled the outer wall and checked for a roof entrance. He lowered a rope and we all followed. We all went down the first stairway and a Herald of the Court of Darkness was waiting for us in the very first room (because of course the roof access door had a spell to alert the inhabitants of intruders). We had enough trouble trying to kill another Herald before, and we had surprised him.
So as soon as our tank character runs in the herald throws an explosive flask which took half his HP down. The rest of us ran in. Me and another character ran straight towards the grenadier and he lobs another flask. This one was a glue bomb and both of us were stuck. All the other PCs and NPCs were busy trying to deal with the large metal spider whose armor basically deflects all melee attacks.
So my character has a hidden pistol crossbow in his sleeve. And the herald backed up and pulled out another flask and took aim at us. It was a difficult roll (distance mods, and I had to aim at his arm), but I basically shot him in the arm making him drop his flask. And the GM rolled a fail so the flask shattered when it hit the ground, so the Herald blew himself up with 10 D damage. Of course the explosion also blew the other flasks on the work bench which also exploded and to my friends HP one threshhold negative. He lived but barely. Nearly continued the tradition of our own team causing ourselves the most deaths
CoffeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote