Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Blood Legend

Default Re: Your most rememborable GURPS related moment?

Slightly related long standing thread over here you might be interested in: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=28383

On that note, I was playing in Panzerfaust's Cursed Shard/Sword game ages ago when I had inadvertently summoned the God of Monologues (or was it magic?). I turned to my comrade and told him to evacuate the unconscious women (NPCs) in our group though he kept insisting I couldn't take on the half-mortal god on my own. After the tavern was empty and my comrade was safely outside, I threw a magic based hand grenade past the God.

It hadn't occurred to either the GM or my other friend that I wasn't aiming for the God at all; I was aiming for the cache of unstable and/or old fashioned magical hand grenades, barrels of gunpowder and other various explosives being stored in the basement of the tavern moments before unintentionally summoning the god. The door to the basement steps was, of course, right behind the God. The look on the GM's/God's face when he realized what I'd just done.

Actually mathing it out, I'm pretty sure the ensuing fireball should have been fairly visible from space. My character obviously burned to a crisp regardless, but he got better. Couldn't keep a good swashbuckling ranger/rogue down.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 08-09-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
16 hit rapid strike against a nook that gave me the record of the most damage done in one second. It was over 300 points total, and done with my fists.
Um, so I get the 20 damage punch - I've played enough martial artists in Champions games - but what kind of game was it that 60ish skill was deemed reasonable?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Actually mathing it out, I'm pretty sure the ensuing fireball should have been fairly visible from space. My character obviously burned to a crisp regardless, but he got better. Couldn't keep a good swashbuckling ranger/rogue down.
If your explosion isn't visible from space, it wasn't big enough.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Um, so I get the 20 damage punch - I've played enough martial artists in Champions games - but what kind of game was it that 60ish skill was deemed reasonable?
Flurry of Blows (GURPS Martial Arts, pg 131), I'd assume. Presuming the MAist was TBM, and had the FP to blow ... -16 is doable.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
martin_rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
I was introducing GURPS to new players in an historic Japan Campaign; to make them learn the combat system I pit them one against another in a small bokken tournament before the main storyline, results?

Three broken limbs and one lasting head injury...
And how did the characters end up? ;)
martin_rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Otaku

Oh this sounds like fun! Hard to pick just one moment. If I had to, I'd go with the following - please forgive the length - I've tried three times to make it concise, and this is the shorted. XD

Roughly 15 years ago (so 3e), playing in a TL3-4 homebrew setting - no magic, and few cinematic abilities. This was specifically a combat heavy campaign - we were told to design mercenaries and instructed that the nature of the world meant that standing armies were small and filled out with the ample supply of mercenaries. I chose to create an archer, and for reasons I don't exactly recall, while I built him to be sturdy for the environment (decent outdoors skills, several Advantages to aid in survival like Disease Resistant, Fit, Resistant to Poison, maybe even Rapid Healing).

The lack of healing technology and spells hit us rough; our GMs had cut their teeth with another GM that had a player-killer reputation so I think they tended to go easy on us; we were all still in High School (same school, different years) and friends outside of the game, so that may have played a factor as well. We had also just been paid for our mercenary work of the last year. While no one had died, we'd had a lot of down time to healing, some near deaths, and one character was retired immediately after the first session due to severe brain trauma plus other injuries.

We felt like celebrating (in game) and the GM was fine with a proposed "drinking contest". Spurred on by complaints my previous characters were often too "goody-goody", I took Advantage of running a Greedy mercenary. Despite us all being friends (or at least acquaintances) from before the gaming group had formed, this seemed like a good time to teach the others that maybe they shouldn't complain about me playing "nice guys". Plus we all had a similar sense of humor, and keeping the GM entertained with intra-party hijinks was a good way to keep any surprise attacks from happening. XD

My character bought the first round (cheapest stuff they had), and quickly took a dive. My Fast-Talk and Acting skills weren't great (might have even been off default!) but the other players wanted to win so bad and I was able to fill the GM in on my plan ahead of time, so it wasn't questioned. It was a small group; there were only three other players (with a forth being introduced that session) but as mercs we all had good HT scores so two of them made their checks so often we busted out the Drinking Rules from Compendium II.

Early the next morning (bwahahaha!) I executed the main part of my plan (and reason my character was willing to part with good coin for those cheap drinks!). One character was trying to become a landed noble; due to the politics of the area it was common for successful mercenaries to essentially buy into knighthood. The player focused on making a strong warrior (and I believe this time his player had most of the "good guy" Disadvantages). Didn't buy his IQ or relevant skills up by much (if at all), and he was so tired and hung over that he had significant penalties to contests of IQ or Will.

So I went to find him. I convinced him that he'd forgotten his coin last night and that I'd agreed to loan him the money for the drinks provided he repaid me promptly the next morning (so that I could settle up with my own creditors). I also mentioned that I'd kept track of what he ordered, and was impressed by how much he put back and his expensive tastes. With bonuses for good role-playing and the penalties he had incurred, he failed bad enough that he paid up and his somewhat idealistic character felt mildly indebted to me, considering me a good friend for helping with the "celebration" and dealing honestly and fairly with him.

I hit up the second character who made it to the end, and his player critically failed either an IQ, a Will, or a HT check (can't remember which) when I knocked on his door (...he was really hungover). I believe he decided to throw the nearest thing to him at the now partially opened door... and his bad roll meant he did just that. That just happened to be the bag with his full year's pay. He also had no memory of what he had done. Later he became convinced it was a young, male pick-pocket, and he was so murderous we hurried him out of town lest he kill all the boys in town that were about that age!

Honestly, I suspect those two were doomed anyway - turns out the new PC was going to be a young, female pickpocket. Conversations with that GM later gave me the impression he wouldn't have wasted that "opportunity" except he figured why work so hard with two players reminding the other players of the stakes of the game.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Evil Roy Slade

A one-shot Old West game had the three PCs corner their enemy in a train stopped in a mountain tunnel. They knew their target was holed up with his cronies in a particular car so they had stealthily surrounded this car: one was concealed one car behind, one PC beneath the target car, and one was one car ahead. They had ascertained that there was a steady wind through the tunnel blowing from the west (the locomotive end of the train), and the PC beneath their target car was equipped with a pistol notable for its large muzzle flash, so the PC toward the front of the train put a plan into motion: he collected a sack of coal dust from the coal car and shook it out into the steady wind, then bellowed at the other player to fire his pistol, hoping to produce an improvised fuel-air explosive. The effect was wildly successful and engulfed not only the target but all three PCs, each of whom was carrying a half-dozen sticks of dynamite.

Well, they DID say they wanted a one-shot adventure.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Stealing a complete and usable nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, in RogerBW's Action/Reign of Steel campaign. Successfully sneaking through the Turkish Straits in it was pretty good, too.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
My karate skill was at 22. We were using extra effort for skills rule.

All out attack determined telegraphed with spending 4 FP gives you +12.

So with a skill level of 34 I would make as many rapid strikes as I could, we were also using destiny points I think. Or something like that from power ups 5. 1 of those points can give 25 FP to use. Or to make a failure a success etc.

With tbam rapid strikes are at -3, spend a FP and you can cut it in half. See were I am getting at? And this was all before I joined the game.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Leynok

Lets see, one of my most memorable ones would be in the first campaign I hosted.

I was under the impression I wasn't challenging my players enough, so I split the party up and had them each face 2 opponents on roughly the same point level as them. Each of the players managed to win after a bit of trouble, but one fight stood out.
The player had built his super like fantasy rouge or thief, but most of his points went into a super powered evil side, and even his normal combat abilities were sub-par so I was starting to realize he shouldn't have gone of against 2 opponents alone. The other players egged him on to aim his crossbow at the first enemies knee, and his first attack scored a critical, permanently crippling the foes leg and rendering him useless in battle. The second foe accidentally unleashed the previously mentioned Super powered evil side and only just managed to flee with his life.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote