Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
LemmingLord

Default Re: Your most rememborable GURPS related moment?

The thing about GURPS was how easily you could, with the quick reference sheet, easily jot out a new character.. with any quick random theme or pickup game you might think of. I recall one pickup game evening with joy when me and my fellow college age friends decided we were going to play characters with magic based on 0 pts and unlimited disadvantages. We all took advantage of the thematic by making mages with deep seated mental problems. It was definitely what the GURPS 3rd edition book wrote about in the "maximum allowed disads" section where it says you might have a bunch of fun!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Rasputin

One of my favorite moments came when I wasn't running. One player took Blindness to get the free -50 points, and was mad when the GM actually enforced this. So after two sessions, he wanted to ditch the character, who was a katana master or something. So we're in feudal Japan, and the GM sets up a fight between the blind munchkin (he's still a friend albeit afar now, and I don't want to insult him too much, but yeah, you were definitely engaging in munchkinism, if you read this) and some exotic badass in an honor duel for our shogun (actually, my monk character's father), with the intention that the exotic badass would kill the blind weapon master who, after all, is at -6 to his bread-and-butter weapon skills.

Now I need to mention that the player of the blind man is the most amazing clutch roller I've ever known. His exotic Asian-themed badass (kind of a running theme with him) once won initiative then made three Ride checks on his big dire wolf to get a chance to attack my baddie of the week, a 7th level evoker in a D&D 3.5e game who specialized in cold spells. I had been building her up as a foil to another character (played by the GURPS Japan GM; we'll get back to him in a bit) who specialized in fire spells. Anyways, after rolling well on his Ride checks (I just eyeballed the DCs), he critted on his attack roll, which killed her since she's just a 7th level elf wizard.

And, true to form, he does the same here. I wasn't involved in the combat since my character was a Buddhist monk, but IIRC the combat lasted two seconds, long enough for the blind weapon master to crit. We all were amazed, especially since we all knew that everyone was intending the blind weapon master to die, including his player, who wanted this.

My personal most memorable moment came when my Mafia assassin was fighting a Thing That Was Not Meant to Be in a GURPS Conspiracy X game. The godonlyknowswhat had bitten off the left forearm of Saint Ross (his nickname; I don't think "Santino Rossalini" appeared anywhere in that game other than on his character sheet) and was noshing on it a few seconds after I had a crit fail on my Guns roll. But then, I got the sweet 1-1-2 to let me return the favor as my goon fired his Desert Eagle one-handed into the unnatural thing, taking down his HP enough to let me finish it off on the next round. We got my forearm reattached, and he never let the DX penalty bother him, since he liked to show off the scars to intimidate anyone.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

I had failed a climbing roll and fell down around 50 meters down a mountain slope, my character had HT 10 and 10 hit points, he received enough damage to surpass the instant death damage treshold and died.

Everyone went silent and had a stern face about them, when suddenly I remembered!

"Hey, You said it started snowing a few days ago, doesnt that mean the fall damage is reduced?"

A smile lit up in the GM's face as he said "Oh my god you are right! Its way less damage!"

At the end I was 1 point of damage away from being instantly killed without a survival roll.

I rolled the survival roll and barely passed.

Ill never forget that =)
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It was a brilliant job of playing someone who had been the victim of abuse and took it as being her fault.
This is the explanation which I was looking for, and somehow I don't remember reading it before, in some other posts where you mentioned the incident.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #15
AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer

I will post my own favorite moment. At least one of them.

I was playing a near future game with mostly TL 8 tech, and some TL 9 medical tech and early battlesuits. My group was playing as some stranded survivors on a island. This particular island had a scientist living on it known for his genetic work.

We needed to escape but couldn't anyway to leave from the beach. So we went inland which was a bad idea. We had limited weapons, and medical equipment, and had to fight animals genetically altered to be bigger, faster, stronger, and overall more physically amped. We would get through most fights only moderatley hurt, but I got sick of us barely making it through the day. So I had an idea.

I was going to try and make a crude battlesuit with scrap metal and old electronics. It took a week to do it, but I had made a fairly ok suit. It was limited, with 30 lifting and striking strength and only 20 DR. It worked great for fighting animals though, and only some attacks got through the DR.

After a lot of more succsessful fights, we make it to the scientist base of operations. We voted to steal a helicopter instead of asking for help. We are then being attacked by 6 amped up wolves. I would hit or throw them around while my teammates finished them off. All 4 of my temmates get on the helicopter, but a huge panther attacks me as I was about to leave my battlesuit.

It got a lucky hit and broke one the energy units, making the suit start to shutdown and get weaker. It then tried to pounce on the helicopter, but I barely grab it. We then had a long battle of the panther trying to either escape my grasp, or try to break the suit, and me either conserving as much energy as possible, or slam it hard enough to knockout or kill. I was losing energy fast though, and we didnt have any weapons good enough to kill it off. So I decided to sacrifice myself by jumping off a nearby cliff holding onto the panther still.

I lived with a very lucky roll, with help of the battlesuit and panther absorbing some of the damage. I was however crippled and broke all my limbs. I was also at -3xHP. My teammates than found a winch cable that was able to lift the battlesuit with them. This is considered to be one of our more epic sacrifices to occur with this set of characters.
AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
Jasonft

Botching an attempt to feed a healing potion to an unconscious PC. Do extra D3 damage. Subject wakes up just long enough to yell 'Assassin!' and grab for my throat before passing out again.

Turned into one of that campaign's running gags: 'Assassin!' <thud>
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
Cybrludite

I once played a Dwarf with the Gigantism disad, who was working as a spy in human lands. I did not make a single perception check with him. Ever.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
Opellulo

I was introducing GURPS to new players in an historic Japan Campaign; to make them learn the combat system I pit them one against another in a small bokken tournament before the main storyline, results?

Three broken limbs and one lasting head injury...
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
zoncxs

16 hit rapid strike against a nook that gave me the record of the most damage done in one second. It was over 300 points total, and done with my fists.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Green-Neck

A few months ago my players were working their way through my 1930's rocketeer campaign. The players were trying to capture and interrogate the governor of Spitsburgen. Using maximum stealth they rocket dropped from their Catalina ten km away and snuck their way down a valley. Comming under fire from a lone sniper in the entrance to a coal mine they solved the situation with an incendary grenade... Creating what was probably one of the largest thermobaric explosions in history to that date.