Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
martinl

Default Re: Your most rememborable GURPS related moment?

Playing an intelligent blue Celtic Myth Irish Wolfhound, helping my buds track some unseelie troll types through the fens. We approach their camp and find an appropriately mythically disgusting midden. Other PCs are fighting nausea, but all Cumindigh had say was (Voice of Extreme Joy) FILTH! (proceed to roll around in midden).

Strangely, the other PCs did not react well to my now increased status.[*] Worse, the Troll king refused to acknowledge my aristocratic odeur as well and I had to duel him into submission. Narrow minded jealous fey bastard[%].

[*] Cumindigh assumed status was roughly the same thing as odor.

[%] To be fair, as a fey "Bastard" goes without saying. It's not like he could go into a church! [#]

[#] Yes, it is unfair to make the church comment in a celtic myth game. Deal.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
cosmicfish

My very first campaign, many-many years ago. We were playing people snatched from across universes and time, so we had a very diverse group - we were given literally nothing but point values, no guidance or limitations otherwise.

The moment of note was during one of the first combats, in which we (or at least I) thoroughly expected Stanley the accountant (an odd choice for an admittedly ambiguously-introduced campaign) to die a swift and terrible death. We were wrong.

It turned out that Stanley had some very serious psychological issues. Specifically, Multiple Personality Disorder. When stressed, Stanley went away and Major Death came out. Major Death had issues as well, mostly involving the rage-filled creation and subsequent desecration of as many corpses as possible.

Stanley did NOT die a swift and terrible death, and we all started treating Stanley a lot more carefully.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Witigis

Okay, while posting in another thread I remembered one of my very first roleplaying campaigns, and the first one with GURPS. I mastered a modern horror campaign. The plot was taking place in my hometown (a medium-sized town in Germany near the Ramstein Air Base). I had only two player characters at the time, one of them a private eye, who was chasing a psycho killer (built with the psycho killer rules of GURPS Horror). This psycho was really tough (to raise the survival chances of the PCs I gave him a quirk which caused him to announce his presence to his would-be victims before an attack one-way or another). In the course of the adventure, both PCs confronted the psycho killer for the first time in person on the spot of one of his murders, an second floor apartment in the town. Almost panicking, the characters emptied their guns (.38 Specials) into the body of the psycho killer, causing him to crash through a large window to the street below. When the PCs reached the window and looked down, they saw the killer rise, entering a car and driving away. Spontaneous comment (like in "Jaws"): "We need bigger guns, much bigger..."
After that encounter, the private eye went home, still a bit shaken, where his little brother (dependent) was. On entering his apartment, he heard his little brother cry in the living room: Don´t do me any harm... Immediately he rushed into the room, gun drawn and ready to fight, only to find his little brother and a friend creating an audio play.....
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
Figleaf23
Banned

10 memorable minutes behind a decorative panel at a gaming convention with a hot geek-girl.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
10 memorable minutes behind a decorative panel at a gaming convention with a hot geek-girl.
Hmmm... I suppose that technically qualifies, but this could set a dangerous precedent for this thread...
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #36
SolemnGolem

One of my players was in a slave labor camp, and he had been given "preferential treatment" in that he got his own hut to sleep in, so he didn't have to worry about being killed or raped.

The camp also had captured a weird forest beast with mystical powers. The beast spent a few days howling in the pit and then quietened down. The PC's hut was right next to the pit.

One day, he heard a pittering outside, and then a thump as if something fell against the outside of his hut. It then scraped its way along the ground outside, dragging itself tortuously along the ground. All the while it gave out weird inhuman moans and whines and piteous whimpers. It finally got up to the doorstep and could not get over the threshold so it grew silent.

The player was by this point thoroughly freaked out (to say nothing of the PC) and he called out asking who was there. The thing responded in a ragged foreign tongue, mimicking the sentence in a wobbling imitation. Then it took several rapid-fire abortive breaths and tried again. And again. Each time, the imitation grew closer and closer to the PC's language.

The outside creature spoke briefly with the PC, cutting a deal for mutual escape. Then it ended the conversation by saying the PC had to dispose of this corpse before the guards found it. Then a choking hacking coughing sound, and the thing at the threshold slumped and lay still with a death rattle.

The PC looked out and found a dog lying in the moonlight. He recognized it as one of the guard dogs - he'd be in deep trouble if the guards found it near his hut. As he prepared to carry it away, the entrails slid into view and he realized it was only the front half of a dog. The trail of blood leading to the pit was over twenty yards long, and the reanimated dog half had inched its laborious way over to his hut to talk to him with the voice of the possessing spirit.

When he regained his senses, which took a while, the PC gathered himself and threw the dog into the pit and watched. The spirit cast a spell on the dog, and the dog came to life abruptly, whimpering in pain and fear. And then the spirit lifted it up in one hand and crushed its body in two bites, then gulped it down still living.

The description loses a lot of tension and atmosphere in the retelling, but one of my players said it was the single most scary thing she had ever imagined, in any medium whatsoever.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #37
DukeofDellot

So this guy, let's call him "the only Latino in the group" comes to me before the campaign starts so that I can build him a character, which is something I usually do for my players. I tell him about the setting and about the system and ask him if he has any idea what he wants to play as.

He takes one look at the Characters book cover and says, "I want to play as that," pointing curiously at the picture of the triceratops.

I tell him that that's pretty funny, he assures me that he's serious, then I tell him to get with me in ten minutes while I build the racial template. The character ended up with the moniker Danger James Thunderhorns, with the ability to shoot lightning from his horns. He was the party face, Jewish, and possibly the least ridiculous member of the party...

...other than maybe Telekinetic Russel Crow.

Did I mention that this was a Banestorm game?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofDellot View Post
and possibly the least ridiculous member of the party...
As I mentioned elsewhere, in the campaign I play in, one of the PCs is a huge, Honest, Paranoid factory.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #39
quarkstomper

Here's a story from when my daughter was younger and had just joined our weekly gaming group:

The Hundred-Year-Old Indian
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #40
Libertine

one time the pc's decided to try and kill my assistant gm's character who is weak against toxins by using a weather witch to call a storm while burning tires into the atmosphere before the attack to produce acid rain.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote