Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
(E)

Default [Magic] ritual table alternative, house rule

This house rule replaces the magic ritual table with a list of modifiers.

Note I have posted this in a different form in an earlier thread. I was just dusting of files and wanted to revamp this particular house rule for 4th edition. The aim is to give casters tactical choices similar to those that melee fighters make. I also dislike chasing point breaks when building mages.

loud casting +1
elaborate movement +1
both gestures and words +1
Normal words or gestures 0
Quiet word or two and no movement -1
minimal gesture and no words -1
Completely silent and still -3
Reduced casting time (percentage reduction or minute/second reduction?)
Increased casting time (option here for a large bonus or possibly a special effect like no demon will be summoned on a critical fail)
Reduce cost by 1 point -3(or more?)*
spending a hitpoint + 2
Have spellbook on hand for reference +X
What else could be added?

* having this modifier lower would encourage players to use it more and it is a handy "Power level" dial for magic use.

One thought would be having a new type of counter spell that requires the other magic user to identify what spell is being cast thus making concealed casting more valuable.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: [Magic]ritual table alternative, house rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
One thought would be having a new type of counter spell that requires the other magic user to identify what spell is being cast thus making concealed casting more valuable.
I may be wrong, but I thought that was exactly how Counterspell was supposed to work, so it fits your modifiers nicely.

I like it all, but I'm a little apprehensive regarding changing the casting time and cost. Maybe the penalties for reduced cost should use the Speed/Range progression? Not sure, but I like this as an alternative to a bunch of IQ 15 Magery 3 wizards. Altering casting time, did you look at the rules for using extra time? I know in DF there is mention of using First Aid in a single action for -10 to skill. Maybe that's a useful model for hasty casting?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
(E)

Default Re: [Magic]ritual table alternative, house rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought that was exactly how Counterspell was supposed to work, so it fits your modifiers nicely.
That was my bad there, I was thinking about making counterspell more attractive/easier to get. Got side tracked mid paragraph.

In the existing rules a skill of 20 gives the caster half casting time and every additional 5 levels half casting time again. Following that reasoning -5 off skill for half the casting time. Personally I want something a bit finer grained but I'm not sure what exactly.

Still mulling over options for taking more time casting spells, I feel there should be a bonus however mild for non combat or routine casting. The no demon summoned is a thought in that direction.

Last edited by (E); 01-09-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
(E)

Default Re: [Magic] ritual table alternative, house rule

Disrupt casting
Regular; resisted by
Duration: instant
Cost: 2 (?)
Time to cast: 1
Prerequisite: Magery 2 (?)

Works similarly to counterspell but must target a spell that is in the process if being cast. The meta concept of this spell is that it pumps more mana into a spell unbalancing the casting and hopefully stopping the casting. The caster must know or guess what spell is being cast. (Thamaturgy rolls if there is any doubt)This is followed by a quick contest vs the target spell. If the caster of disrupt wins the contest then the target spell fizzles. (Possibly triggering a roll on critical failure chart??)if the disrupt spell fails then the other caster gains a bonus equal to the margin if they choose to target the caster of the disrupt spell. If the targeted spell is a missile spell the bonus can be applied to the "throw"

Tags
magic, ritual table, skill