Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Lunatic_Wisdom

Default Are card effects/class abilities immediate?

My friends and I are Magic: The Gathering players, so we're used to being able to interrupt card and ability effects as they're initiated. We were wondering whether or not Munchkin allows for this kind of play. Here are a couple examples we encountered that I would appreciate advice on how they should be resolved.

Example 1:
I Look for Trouble with King Tut and use Magic Lamp to remove him and take the treasures. My friend tries to interrupt this by playing Friendship Potion to remove King Tut and force me to Loot the Room instead of taking the treasure.
In this case, would I lose the Magic Lamp (since I used it already) and Loot the Room, or would Magic Lamp take effect before he played Friendship Potion, and I take the treasures?

Example 2:
I am a Thief and discard Big Rock to initiate a Theft roll. I designate my target, but before I roll, he plays a Lose Your Class curse. Would I lose my class (and Big Rock, since I had discarded it) before attempting to steal his item, or would I get to roll before I lost my class?

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Lunatic_Wisdom; 12-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Lunatic_Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Are card effects/class abilities immediate?

It's been said here, many times, even recently: Munchkin does not have a stack mechanism. You don't "interrupt" events without a card that specifically says it does exactly that (Wishing Ring and Annihilation are perfect examples). So, playing that Magic Lamp against the only Monster in the combat leaves no Monster to be affected by the Friendship Potion. Once you've discarded a card to pay to steal an Item, that steal attempt must get resolved first before anything else can happen.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Lunatic_Wisdom

Thanks for your speedy reply. I apologize for asking a redundant question, but I couldn't come up with an adequate search phrase to hunt out an answer myself (and regrettably, I cannot search all these threads manually). Regardless, thanks for clearing that up.
Lunatic_Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Using "stack" found this in the top 5 or 6. It's been a long time since I tried to remember how to play Magic, but I thought they used that term explicitly, and it's the term Andrew and I use when saying, "No, Munchkin doesn't have that by default." If I'm mistaken on the terminology, then we'll try to be more consistent with what people are familiar with in the future.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic_Wisdom View Post
I apologize for asking a redundant question, but I couldn't come up with an adequate search phrase to hunt out an answer myself
One of the things I've found helpful is to use Google to search the forum. It works much better than the forum's search mechanism. You just enter the normal search parameters in Google, and then add the following to the end:
site:forums.sjgames.com
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
aeronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
One of the things I've found helpful is to use Google to search the forum.
Chad, thanks a ton.

Off topic here, I'm looking for a job as a professor after I finish my PhD this spring. Had an advert for a position bookmarked, but the link expired. I searched the school's website for over 20 minutes and couldn't find the ad. Used this tip, putting in the school's website for the 'site:', and found it in 12 seconds.

You rock, dude.

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
krspond

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
I searched the school's website for over 20 minutes and couldn't find the ad. Used this tip, putting in the school's website for the 'site:', and found it in 12 seconds.

You rock, dude.

Regards,
aeronaut
I would like to think this looked something like this: University of Alabama:forums.sjgames.com I knew it, SJ does know EVERYTHING!

Tags
friendship potion, magic lamp, no stack, thief