Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Culture20

Default Re: Large variance of SMs together

Look up the television show Fraggle Rock. There were many stages of giants/littles in the series, although they weren’t living harmoniously.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Fraggles sometimes tripped demolishing entire buildings without ever injuring a single doozer that I remember.
I think it could be a valid setting rule that accidental injuries due to size don't happen.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Roads? I like major roads being almost freeways (maybe even above the city) that anyone can easily traverse.

I could imagine lanes that help protect the smallest citizens from the largest. Perhaps, for example, the smallest creatures have a small walkway to the side of the road, like a bike lane, but much smaller. This way, nobody huge accidentally steps on them. They might have tunnels underneath the road at intersections and whatnot. (Pedestrian overpasses wouldn't work unless they are taller than the tallest titans!)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
(E)

Jobs for some of the bigger citizens powering elevators and providing transport for the smaller citizens?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Jobs for some of the bigger citizens powering elevators and providing transport for the smaller citizens?
Possible. In my own setting, that's one of the jobs ogres have: pulling rickshaws. Don't ask a centaur to do that, tho.... o/`

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Have you seen Zootopia? It’s pretty relevant with the range of sizes living together. There’s effectively got to be separate facilities for different size ranges. An SM -6 City hall could fit under the stairs leading to a SM+6 city hall.
Wow, that's absolutely true. I'm going to watch that again but pay attention to the world itself much more. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
What you'll see is not stairs, but ramps, and with a modest slope if possible. Those have the benefit of also being cart-friendly, which is nice in city design. With SM +6 giants available, you effectively have heavy construction equipment. Buildings may have a variety of ascension methods - a ramp (general purpose) and a ladder for SM 0 to -2, and a little dumbwaiter for SM -6 people cranked by a SM 0 or SM 1 resident, for instance.
That's a great idea. It might even make sense for many walkways to be ramps so it's easy to ascend to many places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Does the city have some equivalent of the Americans with Disabilities Act which *forces* people to accommodate radically differently sized creatures in the same facilities?

If not, the city is more likely to fragment into the Giant District, the Ogre District, the Human District, the Halfling District and the Fairy District than develop means for accommodating radically different creatures in the same space.
I definitely want to avoid the latter, but I'm not quite sure how I'd do the former.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Fraggles sometimes tripped demolishing entire buildings without ever injuring a single doozer that I remember.
I think it could be a valid setting rule that accidental injuries due to size don't happen.
Hmm. I do like that. Like, no one ever worries about a giant tripping and squashing hundreds of people because it just won't happen here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
That actually solves public transport well. I like the idea that titans move proportionately the same as humans for their size. Titans might just find easy jobs being buses, taxis, etc and just walk along through the town to major stops. That could also cut done on actual vehicle worries.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Culture20

Quote:
I definitely want to avoid the latter, but I'm not quite sure how I'd do the former.
If you have a medium sized industrious species that likes to build, they could make the necessary buildings for everyone; they may even dislike the other species, but enjoy the challenge of the combined architecture.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
Dalin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Does the city have some equivalent of the Americans with Disabilities Act which *forces* people to accommodate radically differently sized creatures in the same facilities?

If not, the city is more likely to fragment into the Giant District, the Ogre District, the Human District, the Halfling District and the Fairy District than develop means for accommodating radically different creatures in the same space.
It could be something like when the original council of nine formed, they created a pact that the city would be built for all. Maybe it only applies to civic buildings, but that set the tone for the larger culture. There should be some cool history about why the nine races chose to (or were forced to) form an alliance back in the beginning.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Take care when getting the ratios of people right. You want to balance both headcount and bio-mass, and that can be tricky. Big folks will need a way to earn a lot more than other folks so they can feed and clothe themselves.

With the mice/men size difference, looking at some of the "mouse world" animated films is probably a good source of inspiration.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
Armin
GCA Prime

I can't even fathom how commerce would work without extensive magic. Human coins would be too huge for faeries to use, and too tiny for titans to use.

With extensive magic, either every coin is a magic item that sizes itself, or perhaps everyone uses counter checks written on resizing paper.

Unless people tend only to deal with others of similar sizes. Faeries only do daily commerce with Faeries, titans with titans. The middle groups can probably get by with human sized coins. Faeries and titans could deal in bulk from the mid-folks, where transactions would be in large enough quantities for larger coins/bars to work, or banker-level transactions.

There's a lot of issues the more you think about the situation. Groups that cohabitate but don't interact much is much easier to comprehend.

Tags
setting building, size modifier