Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
miekec

Default Gain a level or not?

In the Dutch version of M3 (Clerical Error, translated as De Onfortuinlijke Theoloog), oen of the Dutch-specific cards is confusing. It's Manneken pis, a level 1 monster worth 1 treasure. However, and that's where my question comes in, it does not specifically say "1 level". On the other Dutch-specific monster card, a level 6 monster, Sint Bernhard, it *does* specify "1 level".

It implies that the first monster does *not* gain you a level if you defeat it, and the second one does.

Help?

-- Mieke.
miekec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Gain a level or not?

That may have just been an oversight, but I don't know for certain as I'm not sure which card that corresponds to. However, in the English version, only monsters that are worth two levels display the levels gained on the card. One level monsters just have a blank spot in the same corner and it is just known that unless it is otherwise states, a monster is always worth one level, hence why it is not listed for those monsters.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
miekec

Thanks.
Yes, I know that at least the older versions don't explicitly list "1 Level". My confusion came a) it's a Dutch-specific monster card, no English equivalent exists, and b) because the other Dutch-specific monster did specify "1 Level".

I'll probably just play it as implied, 1 level gained when defeated.
miekec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

I think you might have to contact the Dutch distributor to see if they have an answer. I would go with oversight, myself, since Monsters are assumed (based on what the rules say) to give you a level for killing them unless otherwise specified on the Monster card or the card used to defeat the Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerical errors, dutch, level up