Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
Misplaced Buckeye

Default Munchkin Ogre?

Well since we now have card driven Ogre game I'd thought I'd ask if there was ever an Ogre Munchkin...kinds like Ogre Gurps? Thoughts??
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Munchkin Ogre?

It was floated as an April Fool's joke a number of years ago, and IIRC some stuff from Ogre made its way into Star Munchkin, but last I'd heard the official response was "Please stop asking, it was just a joke."

I do think there's a good bit of potential there, though...Chassis, Treads, Sensors replace armor, footgear, and headgear. Factions [PEF / NAC / Nihon / etc] and marks/designations [Mk.III, Mk.V, Fencer, Vulcan could be a straight drop-in replacement for Dwarf] as races and classes. Conventional units make up the bulk of the monsters [including the Level 1 Cardboard Command Post].

The biggest problems are going to be how narrow the subject material is [non-licensed Munchkin sets are usually love letters to an entire genre], filling out a full set of decks with distinct cards, making the one-shots / 0-hand items interesting, and preserving the series' signature humor.

...no, I haven't put way too much thought into this over the last few months, why do you ask?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
It was floated as an April Fool's joke a number of years ago, and IIRC some stuff from Ogre made its way into Star Munchkin, but last I'd heard the official response was "Please stop asking, it was just a joke."

I do think there's a good bit of potential there, though...Chassis, Treads, Sensors replace armor, footgear, and headgear. Factions [PEF / NAC / Nihon / etc] and marks/designations [Mk.III, Mk.V, Fencer, Vulcan could be a straight drop-in replacement for Dwarf] as races and classes. Conventional units make up the bulk of the monsters [including the Level 1 Cardboard Command Post].

The biggest problems are going to be how narrow the subject material is [non-licensed Munchkin sets are usually love letters to an entire genre], filling out a full set of decks with distinct cards, making the one-shots / 0-hand items interesting, and preserving the series' signature humor.

...no, I haven't put way too much thought into this over the last few months, why do you ask?
Something to fill the void in our lives
between Mini Kickstarters
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Rolando

I think it can be made as a booster set for space munchkin or for the post Apocalypse munchkin.

I know almost all the fans would buy it, specially if it includes a Munchkin OGRE, Command Post and maybe a few other units in a single card. With Munchkin like stats of course.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
wolf90

This topic has come up on occasion, and as has correctly been stated, SJGames will not be going down this rabbit hole.

With that said, please find attached my offerings on the theme well before I had any direct relationship with the company. Please enjoy them for what they are - entertaining ideas that will not show up on anything official. Feel free to populate some blank cards with these if you really have an urge to add them to your game.

Have fun!

D.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Munchkin Ogre forum.doc (40.5 KB, 15 views)
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
Misplaced Buckeye

Thanks Drew. Official is like Badges and we don't need no stinking....well you all know that line...roflmao. House rulez!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Something to fill the void in our lives
between Mini Kickstarters
Sorry, sorry...that wasn't an annoyed "Why are you asking about this?", it was a cheeky, self-deprecating crack about the thought I've put into it too.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote