Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
scc

Default [MH] Power Levels

This is one of those you read something and try and make a campaign based off of it, I may or may not end up actually running something built off of this, but writing it out and posting to the forums is something I think I need to do to get it out of my head, and hopefully it will help other forum members.

Now Power Levels are a common device in fiction and I'm looking to design a system where there's a mechanical basis for their existence. In universe my idea is that the numbers come from a Signal Scanner, a device that can detect the Supernatural Signals that these creatures emit and tells you how powerful they are based upon signal strength.

Out of universe Signal Strength is based upon character points, the more points you have the stronger the signal. My current favourite is a sliding scale based upon two powers, you have twice as many points invested in monster abilities the signal is +1 strength.

Game mechanics wise I think this is a modified version of Scanning Sense, using Pararadar based atop normal Radar instead of Imaging, with the Extended Arc: 360, Reduced Range 3, and possibly some sort of Accessibility to show that you can only use it to sense Supernatural things. Basically it gives away your position but allows you to sense other Supernatural things, smart/skilled monsters may learn to use it in passive only mode. Does anyone have a better suggestion but? I sort of want to combine Detect with the ability to be detected.

Now PCs can be monsters (When can't they these days for this sort of thing?). For them I'm thinking that being a monster involves taking a 100pt template and 50pt levels. Taking the template makes you a member of the species, while levels give you more power. The thing is here that monster templates and levels give you access to stuff humans can't normally buy, but the down side is that you have to buy them in blocks, and may not get full freedom to spend how you want, of the 50pts per level, 20 might need to be spent on specified advantages, leaving you with only 30 to spend how you wish, and even that from a shopping list, not unrestricted.

As for what monsters PCs get to chose from, not Vampires and Werewolves have both been over done. As has the Elditch Abomination as the enemy.

And as a final note, Power Level has nothing to how dangerous something is, as combat skills aren't spent from monster level

More when I've had a chance to sleep
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [MH] Power Levels

Sounds like a little DF is seeping into your MH. ;)
Not a criticism, just an observation.
Levels can reduce player anxiety from all the options, and I'm sure it would make planning encounters much easier for the GM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sounds like a little DF is seeping into your MH. ;)
Not a criticism, just an observation.
Levels can reduce player anxiety from all the options, and I'm sure it would make planning encounters much easier for the GM.
Yeah, a little bit, when I was first toying with the idea I was going to simply use DF levels to make things work, them I realized that there where a few flaws with that idea.

One thing I forgot to post in my hurry last night is that Power Level/Signal Strength isn't an absolute indicator of how nasty something will be to fight, skills don't count for points spent on monster stuff, so Strength 1 monsters might get claws, but that's no indication of if they have karate
Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Meaning that if enemies have such devices they may, at first, underestimate monster PCs.
"Just a generic class 3 Vampire....Oh no! He's ex special forces!"
Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Meaning that if enemies have such devices they may, at first, underestimate monster PCs.
"Just a generic class 3 Vampire....Oh no! He's ex special forces!"
"Nobody told me the mummy had a freekin' tank!"
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Nobody told me the mummy had a freekin' tank!"
"What did you think the 'M' in M-1 Abrams stood for?"

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
scc

There's also how the points where spent. For example, from what I can figure out being able to create more members of your species with a bite or the like is an Affliction with the Advantage and Permanent Enhancements. Long story short, that's set up so that the cost an attack that applies a template is template cost plus 40 pts.

So something that make more of species is less dangerous then something that brought combat related abilities, even if the first has a higher power reading.

NOTES:

You're supposed to use Infectious Attack for this sort of thing, but if it's under your total control and unlikely to backfire on you that seem unbalanced.

For my 100pt templates with 140pt spawning I can probably cut it down to around 125pt, which is probably still too high. Unless I use Multiplicative Modifiers for just this one Power, that cuts it down to 36pt to spawn.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #8
CeeDub

Okay, I apologise in advance. None of you seem to be willing to do it, but someone has to. I guess it needs to be me. I'm sorry. Here goes:

Spoiler:  
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
There's also how the points where spent. For example, from what I can figure out being able to create more members of your species with a bite or the like is an Affliction with the Advantage and Permanent Enhancements.

Um. No. Check out Dominance advantage and Infectious Attack disadvantage. Also, GURPS Zombies includes some really robust and essential enhancements/limitations for same.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
T.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Okay, I apologise in advance. None of you seem to be willing to do it, but someone has to. I guess it needs to be me. I'm sorry. Here goes:

Spoiler:  
Much needed additional info, totally relevant to further this discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDDXSmGJZA
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters