Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
hal

Default Adventure Guns equipment

Hello Folks,
I recall the previous threads where people wished that there were more of the equipment data files available, so today, I started work analyzing the structure of the data files.

While I could have read the PDF that is available for the creation of data files, I decided the best approach to my analysis was to look at the High Tech data file, look at the equipment area, and see if I could achieve the creation of an "Old West" category for the Equipment section.

Today, I succeeded. I was able to add the following categories:

<Old West - Rifles>
<Old West Machine Guns>
<Old West - Artillery>
<Old West - Firearms>

I didn't bother trying to add Old West - Pistols, I just wanted to see if I could get a functional datafile to load in GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT.

So, phase one of the analysis worked well enough. I was able to get a functional data file to work. :)

Phase II was to determine what "variables" do I need to be able to address in order to set up an "entry" per weapon that will go into my expanded Old West file.

This is what I came up with:

Item Name (note, if there is a comma in the name, the whole thing has to be in quotes.)
cat (note that this determines where it shows up in the categories in GCA)
ammo
page
basecost
baseweight
techlvl
mods
lc
description: this combines data from data fields into one line
damage
damtype
minst
rangehalfdam
rangemax
acc
rof
shots
rcl
bulk
notes
skillused
ST
SK

I figured that others might appreciate having this information at their finger tips in case they try to build their own data files.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
flyingwombat

Default Re: Adventure Guns equipment

The simplest way to create a data file is to GCA by creating new equipment, then save it to a data file.

I have found it easier to cut and paste equipment then change the stats in the data file than create fro scratch.

Equipment files is way easier to create character/racial templates.

Saying that, you way is more ordered than mine.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
The simplest way to create a data file is to GCA by creating new equipment, then save it to a data file.

I have found it easier to cut and paste equipment then change the stats in the data file than create fro scratch.

Equipment files is way easier to create character/racial templates.

Saying that, you way is more ordered than mine.
Well, not everything goes according to plan it seems. I've got a macro that will take the data fields and try to piece it together to create the line by line equipment for the data file (including the first 50 lines total).

it isn't working yet.

YET.

It tasks me to discover why it doesn't work yet!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Well, not everything goes according to plan it seems. I've got a macro that will take the data fields and try to piece it together to create the line by line equipment for the data file (including the first 50 lines total).

it isn't working yet.

YET.

It tasks me to discover why it doesn't work yet!
I'm curious, a macro? Assuming you're using a spreadsheet (which I think you mentioned to me in e-mail), once you have a table with data rows and columns layout you can simply use CONCATENATE to piece together tags. If you go beyond the limit of CONCATENATE simply stop, move one column to the right, include the previous column in the CONCATENATE and keep going. I've done this with numerous data files including GURPS Magic and all of the guns all of the High-Tech and Ultra-Tech series.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I'm curious, a macro? Assuming you're using a spreadsheet (which I think you mentioned to me in e-mail), once you have a table with data rows and columns layout you can simply use CONCATENATE to piece together tags. If you go beyond the limit of CONCATENATE simply stop, move one column to the right, include the previous column in the CONCATENATE and keep going. I've done this with numerous data files including GURPS Magic and all of the guns all of the High-Tech and Ultra-Tech series.
I finally got it working of sorts, and I'll send it to you via an attachment.

The goal of the macro is for people to be able to use it to create their own equipment lists for guns (whether home brewed rules or official sources). The intent is for the person to be able to name the file as they desire, have it set up the category tags (like High Tech - Adventure Guns) etc. without having to do too much manual editing. In addition, What I'd sort of like to be able to do with the Macro is to set it up so that if the weapon uses the skill "Guns (Pistol)" as the primary skill, that it handles all of the default skills and automatically fills in the data for you. So if using guns (Shotgun) as a skill, it automatically fails to put in SK: guns (shotgun), but instead, puts in SK: Guns (pistol)-2, etc.

By putting it in excel and making it a macro - one should be able to simple enter data, double check it, and then hit the publish button or hot key - and it creates the file and names it as you want it named. Right now, it puts in the system date from the PC when I run the macro, puts in the variable file name for the header information within the file, and even puts in the copyright date in the right spot for the publication of the source - without having to type it in manually in the file.

Little things like that that make it worth my while to create the macro.

Somewhere along the way, I'd like to create an "Old West" data file that contains ONLY the quirks, perks, advantages, disadvantages etc required for a GURPS OLD WEST campaign - and then lists the weapons by decade (ie 1840's, 1850's, 1860's etc on up to about 1900's).

What irks me so is for GURPS CHARACTERS and/or CAMPAIGNS to list TL 6 as 1880, and to have guns from the 1860's or 1870's be listed as TL 6 weapons.

Ah well. At least I got past the block I was running into! At one point I discovered that using as part of the gun description/name the " in lieu of Inches, was causing problems. Once I figured that out, I used the word inch instead, and the file worked as expected.

:)

I'm a happy guy at the moment for my own needs at least. Now I simply have to polish it up so it is usable for anyone - even if only the inner circle crew of your own group. Of course, I could simply post the macro code here in the forums, you put a stickie on it so that it is always available for anyone who wants to try their hand at it, and possibly learn how to code in VBA (essentially VB.NET with the VBA being the dumb cousin sort of thing).
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
hal

Almost forgot...

While I have a functional data file now, it doesn't look as organized as say, HIGH TECH - Pulp 1 guns etc.

THAT is something either you can fix or tell me how you want it fixed so I can make it do what you'd like it to do. :)

And while I'm thinking about it? I'm going to want to modify the Equipment set up with all of the data files I'm using these days - as it makes the equipment area look really CLUTTERED. It doesn't make sense to have a single weapon listed in 5 separate categories. But that's just me.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
KataH

Hal
Have you finished the data file for Adventures Guns? I would love to get a copy.

Thanks.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
Hal
Have you finished the data file for Adventures Guns? I would love to get a copy.

Thanks.
Sent you a response. Click on my name - it gives you a link such that you can email me directly. From there, I'll send you the GDF file, and possibly the Ballsitics Excel spreadsheet.

Hal
Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
rkbrown419

If you wish to share with the larger community without having to handle individual email might I suggest http://www.motoslave.net/gcarepo/ It has files from many users for many genre.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote