Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Cat

Default Spoiling Attack Scenario on M1

I've run this scenario a few times; haven't struck the right balance of forces yet. M1 is very defensible to start with. Next few times, I'll try it with: 18 armor units for the attacker; 1 Mk.III, 6 armor units, 12 infantry for the defender.

Defender sets up north of the river and attacker enters on the south edge. Special scenario rule of shallow water: normal movement rules in water hexes, but not deep enough for the Ogre to hide and avoid combat.
edit: Ogre may attack and be attacked while in a Water hex.

Last edited by Cat; 01-21-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
dwalend

Default Re: Spoiling Attack Scenario on M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I've run this scenario a few times; haven't struck the right balance of forces yet. M1 is very defensible to start with. Next few times, I'll try it with: 18 armor units for the attacker; 1 Mk.III, 6 armor units, 12 infantry for the defender.
What have you been using for the attacker force? Mostly GEVs to cross the water river? If so, do they have enough room to run?

What's the objective? Is it a raid or a slugging match?

Quote:
Defender sets up north of the river and attacker enters on the south edge. Special scenario rule of shallow water: normal movement rules in water hexes, but not deep enough for the Ogre to hide and avoid combat.
Maybe some swamp or forest overlays - or even clear - would help avoid the special rule.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Cat

This is from Scenario Book 1. A strike force is searching for a hidden Ogre to find it, damage it as much as possible, and escape with as many units as possible. The simple scenario rule prevents the Ogre from rushing into the water to avoid being damaged and simply breaking the scenario.

Attacker has free choice of units; personally I like a few LGEVs to fan out, outflank defenders, and search for the hidden Ogre without risking a lot of loss when they find. Most units need some punch to neutralise the other defending units and lay damage onto the Ogre.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Cat

Played this scenario again today, and my first time playing personally and not just hosting the games. First with defense reduced to 6 armor units and 12 squad units, plus the hidden Mk.III. Attack with 15AU.

The attack played well but still got hammered. So much so that buffing up its AU would not bring it close to a chance of winning. Changed things up significantly for the second game.

Defense got 4 armor units, 12 squad units, and a hidden Mk.II.

Attack got 18 armor units. Target goal to score at least 16 points of damage on the Mk.II and then escape as many units off the board as possible.

Marginal attacker victory with 5 AU escaping.

The forces may or may not be well balanced yet; but it was certainly a very fun and challenging game for both sides. Will run more playtest scenarios of this at TotalCon in two weeks using these force levels.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Cat

Ran several more games of this at Havoc yesterday. Not quite balanced yet, but getting close and everybody has been having fun playing it.

Defense got 5 armor units, 12 squad units, and a hidden Mk.II.

Attack got 18 armor units. Target goal increased to score at least 20 points of damage on the Mk.II and then escape as many units off the board as possible.

Next time, I'll bump the Defense up to 15 squad units.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
wolf90

Keep plugging away at it! The mats are all just begging for scenarios . . .

Thanks for your efforts!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Cat

It's tough, you keep making new mats faster than I can give new scenarios a thorough playtest!

Since I don't have any of the cardboard maps, you bet I'll keep working up new ones for the neoprenes.

One more convention date for the trio currently in testing. Huzzah! in Portland Maine later this month. Then hope to get the final polish with play at home and the FLGS. Goal is to have them submission worthy by June/July.

Getting to run these at a handful of conventions has been super for getting lots of different players approaches to the tactical problems and not stuck in tiny-metaland.