Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
dgswensen

Default Is there a solid printing of GURPS Campaigns anywhere out there?

First of all, I do want to say that I have read the "if you are having trouble with your GURPS books" thread, and am aware of the standing policy from Warehouse 23 on book replacement. Secondly, I apologize if this has been handled in some other thread, but I just have a question regarding GURPS Campaigns.

Simply put, I have two GURPS Campaigns books that are in very tough shape, and have been since I bought them. There are large "streaks" along the front and back, from the plastic coating that seems to be peeling loose from the cover -- these were present on the day I received the book in the mail (I ordered them over the net) and have gotten progressively worse since. The coating is "bunching" in the curves of the book spine, and it's straight-up peeling off on the flat edge of the spine.

At first, I didn't worry about it too much, as I figured I just got a bum copy -- happens now and then when you order over the Internet. But I have friends who also have similar problems with their Campaigns books. I started to get concerned when the book began "aging" way faster than the other books in my collection -- normal wear and tear is part of the RPing life, but Campaigns looks like it's about ten years older than any other book in my collection because of the peeling plastic and general bad condition of the cover.

Finally, I decided to replace the book, and purchased another copy from another online retailer. Lo and behold, not only did it have the same problems, but the second Campaigns book began falling apart soon after I received it. The binding tore away from the spine, and the same "streaks" in the cover are evident. It was so bad that I went back to using my first copy.

Before I go any further, I should say that both of these are "first edition, second printing" editions, published July 2005.

I'm just curious to know if I should bother writing for a replacement, or if subsequent copies of Campaigns are all going to have this problem. I don't want to put anyone else to added expense (or incur added expense myself) if there's no chance of getting a decent copy. My options at the FLGS are somewhat limited, as all I could do is order a copy from them and hope it doesn't have the same problems -- and either have to purchase a third copy, or incur the ire of the FLGS by declining to purchase it because of the condition it's in.

My basic question is whether this binding problem is endemic to Campaigns books as a whole, or whether I've just been unlucky. All the other books in my 4E collection are in marvelous shape, and I have no complaints about them.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Taellosse

Default Re: Is there a solid printing of GURPS Campaigns anywhere out there?

Well, I can't say whether your odds of getting a good copy are favorable or not, but I can say that I'm experiencing some of the same issues with my Campaigns book. Nothing so bad that the book is unusable, but it has weathered considerably more quickly than my other GURPS books. I've got a similar sort of streak as what you describe on my cover, and the binding creaks when I open the book. No pages are coming loose (I've seen the bad bindings of the first edition, it doesn't seem to be doing that), but they feel less solid than my others. It is sort of odd--like the book has either been abused much more than the others (it hasn't) or it's several years older (it isn't--got it at the same time as Characters, which is still in perfect shape).

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
alaph

I ran over my copy with an ambulance and it is doing pretty well :)

It has started to peal like you said yours did but seriously it has been through hell and back.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

As a disclaimer, I'm up here in the Frozen Wastelands -- but if you're been having problems since purchase... Dropping a kind note to the Warehouse23 staff, to their email address, would be the way to go. They don't necessarily read this forum (and don't always notice stuff even in the WH23 forum here, depending on how fast they're being driven by the whips and flails that week), so the only good way to get an answer to your question...

Is to ask them, via email. O:>
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
pawsplay

Mine creaks a little bit, but after careful examination, seems to not only be holding up well structurally but lies well and shows no cracks or peeling. Don't know which printing it's from, obviously.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
sjmdw45

Mine's fine, unless I'm failing my Connoisseur (Books) roll. How could I tell what printing it is?

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
dgswensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45
Mine's fine, unless I'm failing my Connoisseur (Books) roll. How could I tell what printing it is?

-Max
Should be on the bottom right of the back cover in a little white box.

Thank you very much for the responses in this thread so far. I may go ahead and email Warehouse 23 about this.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgswensen
Should be on the bottom right of the back cover in a little white box.

Thank you very much for the responses in this thread so far. I may go ahead and email Warehouse 23 about this.
If you do, please post about the sort of response you get. I might consider doing the same, depending on what sort of results you get.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45

-Max
Go to the very first printed page- with the big GURPS Fourth Edition logo, artwork, and credits. Just above the "Steve Jackson Games" along the bottom, there's a line with the ISBN number on the left, and a count along the right. The count will be:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

or maybe

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

or starting with 3 or whatever. The leftmost number in the count tells you which printing it is. My copy of Campaigns is first printing, and pages are falling out... but I've had it long enough (and the company was so great about replacing my Characters book, back when) that I'd feel guilty trying to get them to replace this one too.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
GnomesofZurich

My Campaigns book is fine, although it is 500+ km away, so I can't tell you which edition/printing it is (I suspect 1st edition, 1st or 2nd printing, judging from when I bought it).

It may end up being luck of the draw. My copy of Characters started having pages fall out, and was replaced by SJ Games. The replacement copy I haven't had any problems with.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote