Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #201
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Logistically Viable Weapons AtE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's a rather silly hypothesis to begin with. If I want someone over there dead, I'm not going to fire a single bullet no matter how good of a shot I think I am.
I would fire a single shot, or a failure drill, because ammo conservation is important (and training works, I guess).
Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #202
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
It's a rather silly hypothesis to begin with. If I want someone over there dead, I'm not going to fire a single bullet no matter how good of a shot I think I am.
My accuracy will likely go down more, because I'm at least as caring about not getting shot myself.
And I am mostly pacifist with zero military skill or education.
Not every one is like you, and you shouldn't generalize from a single source.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #203
acrosome

I guess it depends upon how far "over there" is. Five meters? I'll keep pulling the trigger until they fall down. A hundred meters? I'm far more likely to hit with one aimed shot than just by spraying a dozen in the general direction. That's for amateurs. If they're at two hundred meters and dodging? Yes, you'll never get a perfect shot so fire as fast as you can reacquire a decent sight picture.

So it depends. I think both of you are just making different assumptions than the other.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #204
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Not every one is like you, and you shouldn't generalize from a single source.
It is useful, because if even I would produce such results while 100% trying to kill in warfare, such data doesn't make sense to apply to people actually trained to kill.
I'm using myself as an outlier to disprove the claim that the vast majority of trained soldiers are less able to shoot at people to hit.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #205
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I would fire a single shot, or a failure drill, because ammo conservation is important (and training works, I guess).
Sure. I'm just suggesting that firing more than one bullet does not at all require an inability to try to hit a foe.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that everyone always sprays bullets like a video game character with unlimited ammo.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #206
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Even if you assume that 9/10 (or whatever) of the shooters have Reluctant Killer and are just suppressing, you still need to ride hundreds of yards through a kill zone, with all that entails. If either the rider or the horse panics, that entire element is hors d'combat.

And the same logic applies equally to the calvarymen too, 9/10 of them (or whatever) should have problems with delivering effective attacks if they do make it through.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #207
Anthony

Quote:
That depends heavily on my priorities. Reality is, most of the time turning the other guy dead is in the 'nice to have' category, not the primary objective (which is likely something like "make him stop shooting at me and vacate the objective").
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #208
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Long story short the end result of this rifle's evolution would look a lot like a Enfield SMLE Mk III.
3.) Should this Rifle ultimately make the transformation to semi/fully-automatic or stay bolt-action?
Here's a video about one of the several attempts to convert the SMLE to semi-auto. Another one here, and there were several more. None successful. You might well be able to continue using the same cartridge and accessories with a semi-auto, if you started with a plan to do that, but not the same mechanism.
Quote:
1.) What supplementary weapons should be used in conjunction with the rifle. Assuming its matured into the Enfield form.
In an AtE scenario, rifle grenades and light mortars give you advantages against less-organised forces. Real artillery and machine guns cost a lot more.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #209
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Here's a video about one of the several attempts to convert the SMLE to semi-auto. Another one here, and there were several more. None successful. You might well be able to continue using the same cartridge and accessories with a semi-auto, if you started with a plan to do that, but not the same mechanism.

In an AtE scenario, rifle grenades and light mortars give you advantages against less-organised forces. Real artillery and machine guns cost a lot more.
Even if I have a team of skilled engineers who plan out the development of this army's arsonal to maintain the most production carry over from rifled musket to breach-loader, to bolt-action, to semi-auto, it just can't carry over the mechanism?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 AM   #210
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Even if I have a team of skilled engineers who plan out the development of this army's arsenal to maintain the most production carry over from rifled musket to breech-loader, to bolt-action, to semi-auto, it just can't carry over the mechanism?
If you want to prototype and debug all the stages before you start any production, and you accept extra weight and cost at all those stages, then yes, you can do that. But those compromises seem to conflict with the struggles normal to an AtE setting.
Closed Thread