Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
Frost

Default [Magic] Alternative Golem.

My group are talking about running another fantasy game. While were discussing possible characters the idea came up for a character creating and using small or even disposable Golem as tools (guess who has just discovered China Meivile).

Now the default Golem spell makes this virtually impossible with its high minimum cost, particularly when used with energy accumulating magic (OK so its basicly impossible with energy accumulating magic) so I was wondering if we could get away with using a reskinned version of the zombie spell.

I was thinking something like this:

Lesser Golem
Book -7, 1 hour
Cost 12 (for SM 0 or smaller) [Edit] The version in the basic set is cost 8, what puts the of the version on thaumatology 163 up to twelve? How badly will it break things to use the basic set cost?[/Edit]

This ritual requires an articulated manikin typicaly formed from wood or clay in order to function. When successfully cast it animates the manikin as the casters servant (St 10, DX 10, IQ 8, HT 10 for SM 0) the golem will typically last for about a decade unless the body is destroyed (former golem bodies may be reused) and is susceptible to subversion by rituals similar to control zombie.

Larger golem are possible at an increased energy cost (*SM+1) as are more durible golem. Stone or metal bodies count as either one SM larger or SM 1 (whichever is greater).

How does this look?

How should I handle smaller golem?

[Edit]Also how do I handle unusual materials? My player has already suggested soap, paper and wax as possible materials for tool golem.[/Edit]

Is there anything else I am missing.

Last edited by Frost; 10-17-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Frost

Default Re: [Magic]Alternative Golem.

Since I posted this I think I may have a solution to the size issue.

I think that I want the twelve [Edit] or eight [/Edit] energy cost to be an absolute minimum but I quite like the idea of allowing the creation of multiple small golem with one ritual so that my twelve energy can create either one SM 0 human sized golem, two half size SM -2, three one third size SM -3 golems etc (yes I am basing my numbers on the size table from biotech).

To limit abuse I might charge a small amount of additional energy for every additional body and every additional type created in one batch. For example I am creating three golem so I need fourteen points, twelve to power the ritual and two more to direct the energy across three bodies.

Last edited by Frost; 10-17-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
capnq

Default Re: [Magic] Alternative Golem.

GURPS Magic Items 3 had a section on alternate golems.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
GURPS Magic Items 3 had a section on alternate golems.
Looking at the preview it still builds them based upon the same assumptions as the basic spell with its uselessly high floor value for cost (based upon their being unfailingly loyal and having an effectively unlimited lifespan).

It still looks like the Zombie approach is my best bet for my players needs.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
garfield

I would be careful about the possible durabilities of these golems.
I guess its not a problem, if they can be rendered unfunctional as easily as the zombies.
Then the only difference is probably the social reaction: zombies are usually disliked - but what about these manikins?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
I would be careful about the possible durabilities of these golems.
I guess its not a problem, if they can be rendered unfunctional as easily as the zombies.
Then the only difference is probably the social reaction: zombies are usually disliked - but what about these manikins?
Durability might be an issue, golem bodies should be quite tough (in much the same way that zombie bodies are) but at least common golem will typically be either flammable or somewhat brittle and I am toying with requiring them to have some sort of focus as an equivalent to the head and neck on a zombie.

Reactions are likely to be quite mixed, the player seems to be up for the idea that his work is both rare and rather disreputable (we are building the setting around the characters) so I am going to run with this. Golem tend to draw fear and curiosity in about equal measure, about what you would expect from a walking shop dummy tinged with hostility and resentment where they might replace people.

One thing that is a given is that the relationship between zombies and golem is probably not common knowledge the PC certainly won't be aware of it. Should it become known a violent backlash is likely even though at a fluff level the two processes are not intechaingable.

Ethics aside the differences are consistency and longevity. A golem of a given size will have the same (admittedly rather mediocre) abilities as any other of that size and will keep them throughout its working life, zombies rot which (for the purposes of our setting) will cause their abilities to deteriorate and after some years they rot to the point they can no longer contain a spirit to animate them (there is no such thing as an animate skeleton). The golem will last longer before its spirit departs at which point it can be repaired and reanimated.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Durability might be an issue, golem bodies should be quite tough (in much the same way that zombie bodies are) but at least common golem will typically be either flammable or somewhat brittle and I am toying with requiring them to have some sort of focus as an equivalent to the head and neck on a zombie.
A tough body usually costs ... so you have to balance the toughness in some way.

Quote:
Reactions are likely to be quite mixed, the player seems to be up for the idea that his work is both rare and rather disreputable (we are building the setting around the characters) so I am going to run with this. Golem tend to draw fear and curiosity in about equal measure, about what you would expect from a walking shop dummy tinged with hostility and resentment where they might replace people.
Does that give the golem maker a negative reaction modifier?
If it does, but you do not count it as a disadvantage, it might help to balance the point costs - like an Unusual Background.

On the other hand your description does not sound that negative. A negative reaction from people loosing their work is rather normal.

Quote:
One thing that is a given is that the relationship between zombies and golem is probably not common knowledge the PC certainly won't be aware of it. Should it become known a violent backlash is likely even though at a fluff level the two processes are not intechaingable.
Maybe a secret? Even maybe a "secret" secret; i.e. one that the player does not know about ...

Quote:
Ethics aside the differences are consistency and longevity. A golem of a given size will have the same (admittedly rather mediocre) abilities as any other of that size and will keep them throughout its working life, zombies rot which (for the purposes of our setting) will cause their abilities to deteriorate and after some years they rot to the point they can no longer contain a spirit to animate them (there is no such thing as an animate skeleton). The golem will last longer before its spirit departs at which point it can be repaired and reanimated.
That points to me like a HUGE advantage of golems over zombies.
But you might balance it with the economics, not with the energy requirement. (In a similar way like Powerstones are balanced by their material costs and not by their energy costs ...)
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Anthony

For small 'disposable' golems I would actually use Create Earth Elemental.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
Does that give the golem maker a negative reaction modifier?
If it does, but you do not count it as a disadvantage, it might help to balance the point costs - like an Unusual Background.

On the other hand your description does not sound that negative. A negative reaction from people loosing their work is rather normal.
The character is going to have a secret, while magic is not normally stigmatised being a Golemist is a bit... sketchy. It exists on the fringes of the acceptable arcane sciences and working publicly would be a bad career move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
That points to me like a HUGE advantage of golems over zombies.
But you might balance it with the economics, not with the energy requirement. (In a similar way like Powerstones are balanced by their material costs and not by their energy costs ...)
If anything I was worried that zombies completely outclassed golem. Compared to zombies, golem are a pain to create. Zombies use found materials and at least while they are fresh can be tailored somewhat to the situation by selecting for physical attributes and skills.

Golem require a manufactured body (if sometimes quite cheaply manufactured) and offer no real flexibility, twelve energy points gets you a blank ST 10 golem with no skills and no other physical abilities.

Zombies win over the short term golem work out better over the long term. Not that I would expect there to be a direct trade off between the two. Different groups will use approaches and both will be relatively rare. Golemism is fringe stuff while reanimation is outright criminal.

On reflection I might abandon the capability to restart an exhausted golem or add mummification back into the mix to complicate matters further.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For small 'disposable' golems I would actually use Create Earth Elemental.
Its something to take a look at, but I am not sure if it isn't going to create more problems for me elsewhere. If anything the default elemental is a little bit too capable for the players needs.