Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Also the Other Guy's reaction --

Of course, it seems odd but I don't have any particular problem with "dives into cover behind smoke screen" idea.

Also of course, there's no reason that the opponent can't use basic reasoning to figure out where the PC went.

"Hmmm . . . there was a puff of smoke and he disappeared. Maybe . . . he's behind the couch?"

Real life -- read a narrative of someone training as a Commando in England, c. 1943. The writer thought he had had the perfect cover. His trainer marched right up to it and yanked him out. "How did you see me?" "Didn't have to -- you had to be out there somewhere and this was the ONLY place in this field where a man could hide." IIRC they call this the "First Cover" effect and it's taught as a warning to US snipers.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Onkl

Default Re: [ACTION] Dive in Shadows during Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Paragraph break mine.

This is pretty off topic, but I think you're getting your answers in this thread. Hope I don't derail.

First of all, Rule #1 is have fun. I hear your internal consistency argument about the Thieves and Ninjas and such, but never ever trump Rule #1. If this guy isn't a Ninja or Thief or Scout, then it's kinda out of genre, but if in the player's imagination it's cool and it will make the game more fun for him, then I would certainly try my best to work with that!

You put his action at -10, "impossible," the most severe penalty (Task Difficulty, pp. B345-346), after he used a nageteppo. What would it have been without the nageteppo? Still -10. So, that was not the best game mastering decision, in my opinion. I think it would have been better to let it happen give the player a cool Batman escape scene to enjoy.

If you, as the GM, think that something won't work that the player thinks will work, then before his character, in game, makes the attempt, I would hash out the disagreement!

In this situation, if the smoke bomb wouldn't have helped him escape, the PC would have probably known that and would not have wasted time and the nageteppo on throwing it. That would be a reality check fail I would not want to happen in one of my games.

Just my $0.02.
You're right of course, rule #1 is the most important part of any game, and I hope that I would have done what you describe if it was in another game. In this instance though it was the Thief of a DF group with 22 Stealth. And he thought nageteppo weren't worth it because they don't give him a direct bonus on the -10 to Dive in Shadows. And it was in fact not to escape but to disappear and re-surprise-attack another victim.

So, yeah. In another game where this is not the expertise of the character it would have been a nice idea and good thinking. But the way it is I think I would rule the same again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I'd totally let him make a Move and Attack maneuver to pull that trick off, noting that he has to end his action behind cover to make the Stealth roll, and that all non-attack DX rolls are at an additional -2 during Move and Attack - so that's Fast-Draw at -2 and Stealth at -12(!!!) and a throwing roll at a net +2 to throw the nageteppo at his feet with a possible generous scatter if he misses.
This is excellent, thanks! :) I will use it.

Cheers

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 07-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Default Re: Also the Other Guy's reaction --

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
"How did you see me?" "Didn't have to -- you had to be out there somewhere and this was the ONLY place in this field where a man could hide."
Mr Nesbitt has learnt the value of not being seen. However he has chosen a very obvious piece of cover.

How Not To Be Seen
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: [ACTION] Dive in Shadows during Combat

The fact of only 1 place to hide may be a good thing to the ninja, well, if there is only the couch to ride behind, I'll go to the other room, or to the ceiling, he'll try to find me on the couch, and then I kill him.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cinematic, disappearing, stealth