Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #61
sjmdw45

Default Re: Absurdly high skill levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
The Rapid Fire rules apply whenever you fire more than one shot per turn from a firearm (or similar).
Reference, please? I don't think that's correct. Recoil only affects when you fire more than one shot per *attack*, not per turn: the number of bullets which hit is equal 1 + (margin of success / Recoil). If you're doing Ranged Rapid Strike with single-shots, Recoil is irrelevant.

It's possible that I'm overlooking a rule in High-Tech.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #62
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45
You know, we spend years and years in grades K-12. I wonder whether we get any points in skills from that, or whether it's just a waste of time. If we get skill points, what skills is that in?

Gaming (playground) [2] - 11 (for DX 9)
optional: tetherball specialization
Basic, basic mathematics [4] - 13 (for IQ 11)
For those of us who come out of high school knowing how to do fractions, solve algebraic equations, and/or define a limit in terms of epsilon/delta. You could argue that this is just Mathematics, and that for some people it just doesn't take (wasted points)
Current Affairs?
History?

I betcha most of the time you spend in school is wasted points.

-Max
The points going into IQ (See the section on Children in GURPS) and earning our justification for defaults. thowing point in skill like Gaming, Bicycle, Swmming and Skating would be valid.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #63
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
The points going into IQ (See the section on Children in GURPS) and earning our justification for defaults. thowing point in skill like Gaming, Bicycle, Swmming and Skating would be valid.
Learning to simply stay on a bicycle doesn't require a full point, except for those practicing all those cool and often injurious tricks.
Swimming, well, I know that I have a nice default, as in I can keep my head above water. But a full point for all those kids just getting from one of the pool to the other?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:27 AM   #64
Rupert

Quote:
Reference, please? I don't think that's correct. Recoil only affects when you fire more than one shot per *attack*, not per turn: the number of bullets which hit is equal 1 + (margin of success / Recoil). If you're doing Ranged Rapid Strike with single-shots, Recoil is irrelevant.

It's possible that I'm overlooking a rule in High-Tech.
No, you're not. I did. However, I can't see any reference to being able to make more than one extra attack using a Ranged Rapid Strike, so that means no more than two targets.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #65
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Learning to simply stay on a bicycle doesn't require a full point, except for those practicing all those cool and often injurious tricks.
Swimming, well, I know that I have a nice default, as in I can keep my head above water. But a full point for all those kids just getting from one of the pool to the other?
I said it would be valid, not that all kids would have them.

for bikes you yourself gave a goo argument for some kids having points in, another would be those that are into BMX rasing.

as for swimming, a Was a Sea scout on and island nation with compulsary primary school swimming class. ratting where we did FAR more th keep my head above water. (yes I earnt my level 3 life-saving badge)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #66
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Then why is it the skill of "advanced sexual technique"?
Does it cover knowing all the positions of the Kama Sutra, and how to get into them? Or, does it cover more esoteric material, such as how to use various mental and physical techniques to induce, withhold, or prolong orgasm? Or, does it just cover knowing how to give a really good *******?

IMO, all of these are actually different skills (though being good in bed may just be a perk, and in a fantasy world, orgasm control could simply be part of the justification or "flavor" for magic or chi powers). I suspect that whoever wrote up Erotic Art to begin with didn't care to devote too much time to thinking about the intricacies of sexual abilities for GURPS, perhaps knowing that he wasn't going to be writing about them in detail anyway.

I wouldn't expect that just having sex would ever require any kind of skill, ability, roll, or any other degree-of-success mechanic of any kind, except in a very strange game. All of our ancestors obviously managed to figure it out.

Quote:
I betcha most of the time you spend in school is wasted points.
I suspect many educators - if they spoke GURPS - would say that a lot of that time goes to raising IQ to its adult level, granting native language ability, justifying skill defaults, and so forth. A lot of what happens in school is giving kids the fundamentals of communication, socialization, logical thinking, etc. Actual skill training comes on the job, in college or a trade school, or as a side effect of day-to-day living.

Last edited by Xplo; 03-01-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #67
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo
I suspect that whoever wrote up Erotic Art to begin with didn't care to devote too much time to thinking about the intricacies of sexual abilities for GURPS, perhaps knowing that he wasn't going to be writing about them in detail anyway.
IIRC, it originally appeared in the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon book, along with the very intricate drinking/drunk rules. Lady Sally's girls (and boys) very likely had the "karate" version of Erotic Art (and probably the karate version of karate, too).
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #68
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo
I suspect many educators - if they spoke GURPS - would say that a lot of that time goes to raising IQ to its adult level, granting native language ability, justifying skill defaults, and so forth. A lot of what happens in school is giving kids the fundamentals of communication, socialization, logical thinking, etc. Actual skill training comes on the job, in college or a trade school, or as a side effect of day-to-day living.
I'm a teacher and I speak GURPS and I agree 100% with you. Spot on.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #69
Victor Maxus

Social Stigma (Undeducated) is worth -5 points. I guess going to school let's a person buy this off.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #70
Sumner Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Depends. The Lone Ranger shoots the triggers off'n the pistols of three bandits afore they kin clear their guns out of their holsters. We give him your 25 maximum and Gunslinger so he gets the +2 Acc of his .45 without having to aim. Ok, he has silver bullets which by the legend if not actual fact shoot straighter. Another plus 2.

He makes his fast draw roll. Bang! Bang! Bang!

RoF = ~3 range penalty is -6, Recoil is 4 Size modifier is about -7 and that's generous. He's starting out with an effective skill of 14- with a 4 Recoil. Not looking good for the home team. He really needs a higher skill than 25 to fit into the shooting skills reputedly possessed by the Lone Ranger.
Couldn't this scenario just be a Hard technique, say defaulting from base skill at -7 (or whatever the penalty for targeting the trigger is)? Then, your skill 25 player with gunslinger could buy it up to skill level for 8 more points. Is that how this would work?

The reason that I ask is because I have a player who would be very interested in using such techniques due to my limit of 20 for his Guns (Pistol) skill... :P