Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: Converting Star Trek ship wpn dmg to GURPS

..Or Sumner Kai could grab a copy of GURPS:PRIME DIRECTIVE and see how they solved a similiar problem.

Keep in mind its NOT the "true"/canon universe - but its pretty close in lots of places.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner Kai
okay, say a torpedo in Star Trek has a yield of 64 megatons. Would that put it in the neighborhood of 7dx500?

Dunno about 4th ed, but back in 3rd ed, ISTR a kiloton being rated at roughly 2,000,000d.

1000kt = 1mt
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
Sumner Kai

Lol, I said 7dx500 and it was really 6dx700,000!!! Woops!

Thank you everyone! MrId, Fred Brackin, rosignol, you answered my question directly - my hat's off to you.

MrId, your approach (designing a system that is internally consistent and doesn't worry about what the Hollywood numbers are) is how I used to handle it. It worked fine, as you suggested. I just wanted to know if I *could* model it off of those numbers. Bleh.

*off to find my copy of UT...*
Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar
..Or Sumner Kai could grab a copy of GURPS:PRIME DIRECTIVE and see how they solved a similiar problem.

Keep in mind its NOT the "true"/canon universe - but its pretty close in lots of places.

- Ed Charlton
The first GPD did have stat's for ships and weapons but they were based on the Gurps Space 3rd edition ship design system. Unfortunately when they updated GPD to Gurps 4th ed they decided to hold off on updating the ship stat's untill a vehicle design system was published for G4th ed. They said they'd put the old stat's up on their website but I've never found them. They also promise to someday put out a Gurps Starfleet which will include ship stats for 4th edition for several starships but that must wait untill SJG publishes a design system for them to use. Of course if you can get the first GPD you can always convert the ship stats to 4th edition, IIRC the Federation Heavy Cruser (Constitution class) had ablative cDR 400 or so and overloaded Photon Torpedoes did enough damage to knock the sheilds down with a couple of hits.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

(Sick. Sorry if this gets incoherent.)

You could also go on ebay and see if you could find the old Star Trek Tactical Ship Combat Game. Then you'd only have to convert the to-hit function of the game to GURPS and you'd be ready to go. Get yourself the Starship Construction Manuel and you'll be able to make "whatever" you want.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, star trek