Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
Methariel

Default Tweaking children's literature a little...

Hello everybody,

and Happy New Year to all of you. During the last three days, I was reading The Night of Wishes: Or the Satanarchaeolidealcohellish Notion Potion (German original title: Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch) by Michael Ende to my daughters. Apart from it being fun for everybody - my wife, too - and me learning that speaking in the raven Jakob's voice often is straining my vocal cords, I realized the following:

The story very much can be read as the story of two servitors of Animals in their animal vessels trying to prevent two Sorcerers from creating a powerful potion/infernal relic. I'm just not sure if Cherub and Ofanite were the right Choirs... Maybe they're just relievers? That might explain their less-biased way of talking to Saint Sylvester, at least if he is serving Laurence, and not Yves.

I don't know if the book is that well-known outside of Germany, but it definitely is worth a read, especially if you have - or are connected to - children between ages 6 to 13.

Do you know any other children's literature, that can be read with an In Nomine-lens over it?

Yours,

M.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Cooper

Default Re: Tweaking children's literature a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
Hello everybody,

and Happy New Year to all of you. During the last three days, I was reading The Night of Wishes: Or the Satanarchaeolidealcohellish Notion Potion (German original title: Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch) by Michael Ende to my daughters. Apart from it being fun for everybody - my wife, too - and me learning that speaking in the raven Jakob's voice often is straining my vocal cords, I realized the following:

The story very much can be read as the story of two servitors of Animals in their animal vessels trying to prevent two Sorcerers from creating a powerful potion/infernal relic. I'm just not sure if Cherub and Ofanite were the right Choirs... Maybe they're just relievers? That might explain their less-biased way of talking to Saint Sylvester, at least if he is serving Laurence, and not Yves.

I don't know if the book is that well-known outside of Germany, but it definitely is worth a read, especially if you have - or are connected to - children between ages 6 to 13.

Do you know any other children's literature, that can be read with an In Nomine-lens over it?

Yours,

M.
I'll second the recommendation for The Night of Wishes (which was also translated as The Magickernotion Potion).

Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series is meant for tweens and has some very good parallels.

And I'll always throw John Masefield's The Box of Delights into a list like this.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Tweaking children's literature a little...

I'll throw in a classic -- in The Secret Garden, Dickon could possibly be a Servitor of Flowers in a young vessel, subtly helping Mary and Colin gain an appreciation for the Earth and each other. And Ben Weatherstaff could be a very old Soldier (or a crotchety Servitor himself) who knows Dickon and the little Servitor of Jordi who *seems* to be a small bird ....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote