Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
WhiteLily

Default My first video reviewing Dungeon Fantasy

I expect to do a series of videos using my online sessions of the DF RPG on my YouTube channel.

HERE IS my first video I did, going over my thoughts on DF RPG that I thought some of you might enjoy.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: My first video reviewing Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
I expect to do a series of videos using my online sessions of the DF RPG on my YouTube channel.

HERE IS my first video I did, going over my thoughts on DF RPG that I thought some of you might enjoy.
You got a subscriber just because of who you played with XD
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
WhiteLily

Thank you!

Doug Tenapel offered to do the art if I wanted to do an RPG book. I'm have never put one of those together before, but I see a lot of games doing well on Kickstarter.

Last edited by WhiteLily; 09-25-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
WhiteLily

Here's my follow up SECOND VIDEO on YouTube.

I have a brief clip of Doug Tenapel from playing the game. He's really enjoying the system.

In this video, I tackle the tough question that a lot of fantasy RPGs foster and don’t address; how does your party dispose of 24x +2 magic swords?

Magic items are the coveted treasure pieces of Dungeon and Dragons and games of similar ilk. Typically, the settings are clearly derivative of Lord of the Rings and feature small hamlets dotting a countryside where the year’s harvest seems to be the major concern of commerce. But what about the economy of magical items?

Like it or not, “Ye Old Magic Shoppe” have become a staple of dungeon fantasy gaming. The party assembles for a task, gores to a location and slays a bunch of bad guys, and comes back with their booty. The ultimate aim of this acquisition of fantasy wealth will be for the characters to gain more powerful gear to kill yet more powerful monsters.

Adventuring becomes an ascending power curve that both Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons have embraced. Character stats change dynamically over time both with the benefits of level, and with the new abilities the characters have gained from their more powerful gear. Online discussions center around “build optimization” and having the right magic gear is part and parcel to that.

This fosters an economy of exchange by which player characters can liquidate their unwanted magic items and trade them in for the items that they do want. This kind of magic item commodity exchange was certainly not part of the Lord of the Rings. If it were to exist, it would require an entire industry to evaluate the items, transport them, catalog them, advertise them to interested buyers, arrange for financing, and serve as a financial intermediary between the interested parties.

In other words, the magic item industry is a product of modern thinking about value, markets, and the easy of transportation of both commodities and wealth. An actual medieval society would have none of that. Even if we allow the wizards guild to come in and serve this function, said organization would be hard pressed to deal with the concentration of wealth that your average party attempts to liquidate after an adventure.

The entire scenario drowns out the fantasy of a simply medieval life. I liked the idea presented in XCrawl, that dungeon adventurers were modern sports figures who went through prepared dungeons for the excitement of studio audiences because that now answers all the obvious questions about where the wealth that the adventures recover came from and where it is going.

Unfortunately, no one else likes or seems to have heard of XCrawl. People want their Lord of the Rings setting. Albeit, with a “Ye Old Magic Shoppe” located in The Shire.

In this video, I make my suggestion as to how to better address the problem. I divide magic loot into three categories:
Hearing magic meant to keep the player characters in action
Mysterious magic items that could be powerful boons or secretly cursed that the PCs will need to explore in their own time
And magic items that mainly serve as a store of value for the PCs that they intend to liquidate at their earliest opportunity.

The first two categories of items will be used primarily by the party itself, and need not call into existence a related support structure and the economy that that suggests. Of course, the third does, but herein I have a solution in mind: What if the GM simply rewards the players directly for the value of magic items donated to causes or destroyed (if evil) in the name of justice?

For instance, you recover the Witchfire. It’s an evil artifact that spontaneously animates the dead and traps their souls. In a traditional game, you would try to get some monetary value from it in order to translate that to a magic item you actually wanted. Instead, I say, have a ceremony where you destroy the item in the name of your cause, and the cause rewards you directly with prestige which is expressed through experience/character points.

The direct reward of XP satisfies the characters needs for a payoff. Furthermore, advancing a level is often less game breaking and more easily understood that acquiring the latest magic item out of the sourcebook entitled, “Overpowerd magic items for your character volume 3.” It also invite more role playing opportunities.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
Tinman

Subbed. Loved your first video & loved playing the Wichfire Trilogy back in the day.
I had to find it & download it to run it again.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
WhiteLily

Here is my third video. I got into more of the meat of the video footage I have from my first DFRPG game with Doug Tenapel.

Blondie, the character portrayed by Clint Eastwood in the 1966 Sergio Leone film "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly", always puts on a good show. People have enjoyed that character so much that he has been replicated in book as well as roleplaying games. The later can be a bit problematic as Blonde's character is anything but a team player.

What to do when one of the player's at your table uses him for inspiration? In this video, I go through some actual clips from my first game session with Doug Tenapel and his son, Ed. I've doing book 1 of The Witchfire Triology, the Longest Night.

Humorously enough, this crazy situation came up because of a random encounter. As I decided to set the module in TSR's Ravenloft setting, the characters are guarding a trade caravan which has to spend the night in the authoritarian kingdom of Falkovia.

According to the Ravenloft boxed set, the laws of Falkovia treat demihumans as property that can be forcibly enslaved by the state if they are within the borders of Falkovia and otherwise unowned. This lead to a situation where Ed sought to sell his father's elven character.

Turns out, he was not totally cold hearted; he was following the example of Blondie. In the movie, Blondie hands in Tuco for the $2000 reward after gunning down 3 otherwise innocent folks who were attempting to do the same thing. Blondie later rescues Tuco from the hangman's noose.

A clever ploy to get the reward money. But perhaps harder to accomplish in a roleplaying game. For one thing, in the movie, if Tuco actually dies it not really a loss to Blondie. He got his money. And that shows us, the audience, how cold blooded Blondie is.

In the world of RPGs, have one character behave that callously towards another might engender some animosity between the group. Not the least of which is how the GM has to rule what happens to the character that just got handed off to certain death for profit.