Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Wanna race?

I just realized that I never actually posted the race that I opened this thread talking about...

KEESHAR'UM
ST 9, DX 10, IQ 8 plus 7 (34 points)

The Keeshar'um are a race of leonine humanoids, nomadic hunters that roam the open grasslands far from civilization. They rarely separate from their 'pride' so only the unique individual, usually young, interacts with other species.

Keeshar'um are impressive in stature and noble in nature. Anyone who calls them 'cat people' doesn’t understand them at all. With due respect to cats, these are not self-interested. aloof felines, but proud, honorbound warriors who are principled and thoughtful in their actions. They are extremely loyal to their allies and savage to their enemies, especially gnolls and the Hithskaa'um (snake-men).

Keeshar'um are taller and more muscular than humans. Their bodies are covered in light brown hair, and their faces are clearly feline in appearance with a pronounced snout, a flat, catlike nose, and sharp teeth. They have dark eyes with narrow pupils. Manes of brown hair surround the heads of males. Most people notice a thick, almost musky scent around them, but few think it unpleasant.

Racial Traits:
Retractable Claws - When 'readied' these provide +2 in bare-handed combat; their claws also make climbing easier (+2 DX adjustment on rolls).
Night Vision - Keeshar’um suffer no penalties to their movement or other actions in the dark, except when enveloped in the complete absence of light such as that created by SHADOW spells.

Base MA: 12
Starting Age: 14
Size: 1-hex
XP Adjustment: x1.3

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-16-2020 at 07:16 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #22
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I feel like the biggest constraint on player-character races with exceptional stats is that the core XP progression chart is so steep that they cannot realistically add any attribute points...
I find a really simple fix to this without messing with the RAW much is instead of having the XP cost be based on your total stats have it based on how much over your race's starting stats you are. Humans start with a total of 32 points so going to 33 cost 100xp, but Giants start at 41 points thus increasing to 42 points also only cost them 100xp.

Additionally you could either have it be whenever you buy ST you add one ST per hex, or have ST cost be multiplied by 1/x where x is how many hexes you cover.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #23
larsdangly

That's a pretty good sounding system.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #24
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The sick winners in the new game are those damn Hobbits. They remain at low XP costs for a long time with no caps or real drawbacks.
I think there are two issues here:
  • Halflings have advantages like a free talent, which persist even when everyone has the same number of attribute points.
  • Exponential experience systems are a really bad idea.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote