Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
JimTullis

Default Walls, walls, and more walls. :)

Reviewing the KS updates has me wondering about the sizes of stuff again. Specifically some of the cardboard tokens.

The core game has Wreck Tokens, Barrier Tokens and Barrel Tokens.

Road Tiles has a "Pop Up Camera Bollard" hazard, but it doesn't seem to have a cardboard token.

The Crew Pack has what appear to be Barrier Tokens and Barrel Tokens. And of course Crew Tokens.

The Dropped Weapons Pack has what appear to be Wall Tokens and some Cloud Tokens (smoke/paint probably).

And while I haven't seen the inside, the Uncle Albert's Upgrade Pack box is similar to the Crew Box and Dropped Weapons box, unlike the Armory and Linked Weapons packs which are simply tuck boxes. This seems to imply that Uncle Albert’s may have some cardboard tokens.

So my current questions are...
Are the Crew Tokens and Barrel Tokens the same size.
Are all of the Wall/Barrier/Cloud tokens the same size.
(Both of which would make sense for ease of tooling and simplified game play)
And
What size are the Wall/Barrier/Cloud tokens so I can think about how they will fit in with other items for storage/transport.

I'm also concerned about the size of the Dashboards. I don't think any of the Plano cases (except the ones with no dividers) have a space large enough to accommodate the dashboards.

I might consider 3d printing a Plano Style token storage tray in order to get the best use of space and sorting.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Magesmiley

Default Re: Walls, walls, and more walls. :)

If there isn't a cardboard token, my assumption would be that they are probably printed on one of the cards.

As far as storage, nothing prevents you from cutting down the inner dividers (I've done it on some of mine in the past for other games).

Myself, I probably will be using the Sabol Army Transport bags once again. Pluck foam is great for making exactly the shape you need.

Which leads to another notion - combine some plastic containers with pluck foam (which you can get in big sheets from various sources).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
As far as storage, nothing prevents you from cutting down the inner dividers (I've done it on some of mine in the past for other games.
I've done some Plano Surgery in the past.
Probably will with Car Wars as well.
But finding the right starting tray helps tremendously.
That's why I would like to know the sizes of stuff.

Space is sometimes at a premium when I travel.
Pluck foam looks great, and can be really useful for odd shapes and fragile items. "I'm looking at you, Khador Conquest."

But I've found that I can get much more stuff in padded plano trays since they don't have the thick walls between and below units. I've also had trouble with some of the pluck foam trays not being rigid enough and they would sag when I lifted them. (Granted that was a fully metal Hamelin team in Malifaux ; ) )
Old 01-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
43Supporter

I used to use cardboard -- it was esp. useful in that, if some cretin smashed all my stuff, I was out maybe $5. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
Magesmiley

You might consider using some of the plastic shoeboxes you can get from Costoco in a multipack. Glue some foam (such as pluck foam) inside and you have a pretty inexpensive solid container with foam inside to protect everything.

Also, FWIW, I'm liable to use 3D wall pieces for my games. Specifically stuff made using the Hirst Arts Castle Molds and number of bags of dental plaster (you can get it in grey even). There's also a very good chance my next (3rd!) battlefield will be built using them.

There are a number of molds that are suitable - particularly in their sci-fi and factory stuff, though it probably wouldn't hurt to rally the folks here to request some more post-apocalyptic specific molds suitable for Car Wars scenery. My one request probably won't get too much traction, but 3 or 4 requests might.

On the battlefield, I suspect that it doesn't matter too much what the size is as much as it matters that the boundaries are clearly delineated.

You might want to think about storage if you're going to do some 3D stuff too. 3D walls and jersey barriers will most definitely look cooler than cards and counters and are a relatively simple upgrade to do.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #6
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
On the battlefield, I suspect that it doesn't matter too much what the size is as much as it matters that the boundaries are clearly delineated.

You might want to think about storage if you're going to do some 3D stuff too. 3D walls and jersey barriers will most definitely look cooler than cards and counters and are a relatively simple upgrade to do.
I'm only really interested in the sizes of the cardstock walls so I can transport them for tournament use.

For my own boards I'm planning on using the Intermodal Cargo Containers from Ironheart Artisans. They have the best 1/64 scale containers. 95% of the rest out there are for 28mm.

I also want to use realistic Jersey Barriers, but again they're hard to find in 1/64. Lots in H0 and 28mm, just not 1/64. I would give $25 for a good quality rubber mold that made about 10 1/64 Jersey Barriers at a time. Then I could do the dental plaster to make a bunch.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
kjamma4

Hmm. A Google search brought up quite a few at 1/64. Looks like most of them are 3D printed. Also, may be more than you are looking to pay.

I think your idea of casting them would be the best. Pay for the mold and then depending on how many you are planning on making makes the per cost cheaper then purchasing.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
JimTullis

KJAMMA4, I confess that I haven't looked at Jersey Barriers on Google for about a year or so.

I'll try to check them out over the weekend. Thanks.

One thing Etsy is good for are piles of tires and sometimes stacks of barrels. They look cool on the table, but you would need a lot of them before they would have much effect on the game. Definitely light obstacles with only half cover.

Jersey Barriers could be heavy obstacles or walls depending on how you feel. Only half cover, but a good way to mark out a race course.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
kjamma4

Yeah, if you were going to use them to mark out a race course, you might need a lot at which point casting your own would probably be the most economical.

I think dental plaster would look a lot like concrete so a bit of paint and you'd be good to go. You could easily inflict damage on those which would be more difficult if you had pristine ones 3D printed.

You sent me down a sort of rabbit hole here - my first thought was to go to Hirst Arts to see what they have. Their mold # 331 has tire stacks, oil drums, and a jersey barrier. I have a feeling that one is too large for 1/64 however. Seems like a purely automotive mold would be something that might be a money maker for them with a few games of that genre on the market now.

I also saw gamers who use silicone ice "cube" trays to make *somewhat* similar barriers - one of the best I saw actually used the underside of the tray in between the slots where you'd normally put the water. Since you said you want realistic jersey barriers, those might not fit the bill. However, if you want something similar that might appear in an alternate future Earth setting, they look pretty good.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Yeah, if you were going to use them to mark out a race course, you might need a lot at which point casting your own would probably be the most economical.
Once you've put the money out for the molds, dental plaster is pretty cheap and you can cast quite a few things from each bag of it.
Quote:
I think dental plaster would look a lot like concrete so a bit of paint and you'd be good to go. You could easily inflict damage on those which would be more difficult if you had pristine ones 3D printed.
Yes. Yes it does look a lot like concrete. :)

Quote:

You sent me down a sort of rabbit hole here - my first thought was to go to Hirst Arts to see what they have. Their mold # 331 has tire stacks, oil drums, and a jersey barrier. I have a feeling that one is too large for 1/64 however. Seems like a purely automotive mold would be something that might be a money maker for them with a few games of that genre on the market now.

I also saw gamers who use silicone ice "cube" trays to make *somewhat* similar barriers - one of the best I saw actually used the underside of the tray in between the slots where you'd normally put the water. Since you said you want realistic jersey barriers, those might not fit the bill. However, if you want something similar that might appear in an alternate future Earth setting, they look pretty good.
The ones that looked the most promising for Car Wars are:
Mold #280, which is 1.5" concrete squares.
The Star Fortress Molds, particularly the Post (#315) and The Walls (#415).
The Factory Accessories Mold (#331) also has some good bits (oil barrel, jersey barrier, cones, and some other stuff).

Some of the others might be useful for other specific things.