Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #151
sjmdw45

Default Re: They should really fix that in Cabaret Chicks on Ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
As I recall, this idea has come up before. I for one would love to see some kind of Alter-Tech book, covering stuff like humors, phlogiston, pyramid energy, cars that get 100 MPG running on water. Lots and lots of real-world disproved and crackpot scientific theories, along with adventure ideas and/or stats (for strange devices, Yeti-men, Esoteric Medicine specialties, whatever) as appropriate.

I don't think I'm the one to write it, though. Not really my area of expertise (and if it was, what would I want the book for, right?).
I'm positive I've seen this product for GURPS before, and I think I even have a copy stashed away somewhere. I remember it discusses Warehouse 23 and the Secret Masters, and artifacts from the Spear of Destiny to UFOs powered by mental angst to the gold plates of Moroni.

I agree that if someone wanted to do another book along those lines for GURPS 4e, with an emphasis on technologies over artifacts, I'd buy it for sheer entertainment value, if nothing else.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #152
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Please do.
Yeah, I'll buy one.

-Max
Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #153
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
I'm positive I've seen this product for GURPS before, and I think I even have a copy stashed away somewhere. I remember it discusses Warehouse 23 and the Secret Masters, and artifacts from the Spear of Destiny to UFOs powered by mental angst to the gold plates of Moroni.
Are you thinking of GURPS Warehouse 23?

There was also Steam-Tech, which had a bunch of extra technology to supplement Steampunk and was pretty good.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #154
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Heh… I thought he was just kidding :?

I sure got a lot of use out of that book… so much use that I picked up the PDF just to save wear and tear on the hardcopy.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #155
doctorevilbrain

Icelander, why do you call Low Tech "Cabaret Chicks On Ice" ?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #156
Diomedes

It's been an unofficial nickname for Low Tech 4e for years.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #157
Anaraxes

Though the usage has mutated a bit over time to mean sometimes "a future GURPS book never actually to appear".

The name originally comes from a offhand reference by Kromm.

Quote:
And whether we title it Low-Tech, Fantasy-Tech, or Cabaret Chicks on Ice is wholly immaterial to the issue of whether we make fixes or not.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=200184

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #158
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Icelander, why do you call Low Tech "Cabaret Chicks On Ice" ?
Gather close to the fire, youngsters, and I'll spin ye a yarn.

'twas in the dark and ignorant days of yore, when the world was young, the Basic Set was but new writ and fearful creatures with blood-drinking fangs roamed the plains, a hunting for unwary youngsters who did not heed their elders and betters.

Gamers interested in historical campaigns were given short shrift and had to either accept what the tiny equipment section in the Basic Set gave them or make up their own equipment rules. They were terrible times.

The people prayed for deliverance from their saviour, The Line Editor. They asked Him, 'Oh, thou who art wise in the ways of GURPS, lift thine gaze over us and give unto us thine Low-Tech, as your predecessors did in the days of The Third Edition'. And He was sympathetic to their plight. He dispatched his servants from his Heavens to walk among the people to ascertain what his dutiful followers wanted from this book.

There were giants in the earth in those days.

But the servants, in their time among the people, saw other games than GURPS. They knew these games as a player knows role-playing games. And they begat offspring with these games, bastard offspring the likes of which good youngsters such as yourselves could never conceive in an aeon of time.

They suggested that instead of giving the people Low-Tech, The Line Editor should give them Fantasy-Tech. Historical accuracy was for pedants and peasants, double-headed axes and flail-swords were where it was at.

The multitude raised a great hue and cry. 'Oh, Great and Merciful Line Editor, thou who art in Montréal, what is this we hear about Fantasy-Tech? Did we not ask for Low-Tech that reads like a dry history textbook and has little utility in games other than those run by SCA-members with OCD and no hobbies that do not include at least a week of research to understand?'

And Kromm said unto them: 'Listen, you ungrateful lot, no one has approved anything about Fantasy-Tech. The Low-Tech book will be a gear catalogue that will aim to be useful to anyone running a campaign at TL0-TL4. This is going to happen no matter what anyone calls it, because GURPS is generic and univeral and we support a range of play styles that spans all the way from that weird Icelander who mumbles to himself while modelling armour penetration to the high-flying acrobatic kung fu of the games I run for myself in the shower. They could call this book Cabaret Chicks on Ice for all I care and it would still aim to be useful to the vast body of GURPS players and not just a narrow subset of them.'

Chastised, the people subsided. Then, someone realised that Kromm had promised the people that everyone would have what they wanted, just as soon as Cabaret Chicks on Ice was released.

There was general rejoicing, apart from that blasted segment of the tribe who is not happy about anything.

A few did not believe in the promised coming of the fabled CCoI, others said that once it was published, Nazis would once more ride dinosaurs and hunt down the forces of good. To those doubters, I say to ye, ye're a bunch of nancy-pantsed willow-wallowers an' should all bugger off.

Now, which of you whippersnappers is going to fetch me another ale? I find myself powerful thirsty after all this talespinning.

Last edited by Icelander; 06-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #159
Gavynn

Ooooo ... great story Grandpa Icelander :)
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #160
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post

There was also Steam-Tech, which had a bunch of extra technology to supplement Steampunk and was pretty good.
GURPS "Warehouse 23" sounds about right.

-Max

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships