Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
petritis

Default Phobia Cost Problem

Huh, looking in Basic Set Characters, it lists the Disadvantage Phobias, but doesn't say much about figuring out the value of it.

I was looking to make a phobia part of a racial template and need to cost it out.
The race is 'Faerie', sort of like tinkerbell (tiny winged), and the phobia is going to be fear or being caged, with a self control roll of 12 or 15.
Shouldn't there be an effect on the cost based on the self control number?
petritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Phobia Cost Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by petritis
Huh, looking in Basic Set Characters, it lists the Disadvantage Phobias, but doesn't say much about figuring out the value of it.

I was looking to make a phobia part of a racial template and need to cost it out.
The race is 'Faerie', sort of like tinkerbell (tiny winged), and the phobia is going to be fear or being caged, with a self control roll of 12 or 15.
Same as for any other self-control number. Look on page 121
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by petritis
Fear of being caged ? Arenīt phobias supposed to be fears of things which average people are not afraid of ? Nobody likes to be locked in. Such a phobia shouldnīt give that much points.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
nyu2

Call it Claustrophobia, then. That should work.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball
Fear of being caged ? Arenīt phobias supposed to be fears of things which average people are not afraid of ? Nobody likes to be locked in. Such a phobia shouldnīt give that much points.
I would say that most people's dislike of confinement wouldn't even rate as a Quirk in GURPS. Fear of being caged (clithrophobia, I think) would be comparable to Claustrophobia, but less disadvantageous than that, IMO. I'd figure it to be about -5 points.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
JAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball
Well phobias are unreasonable fears. So someone with phobia of being caged would panic at seeing a cage even though there was not much real change of being actually caught. And that would be disadvantageous.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW
Well phobias are unreasonable fears. So someone with phobia of being caged would panic at seeing a cage even though there was not much real change of being actually caught. And that would be disadvantageous.
From a Psych standpoint, Fear of CAGES is different than Fear of Being Caged.

My wife has a massive shark phobia we've been working on. It's not a fear of being eaten by sharks, it's a fear of sharks themselves (also toys, cartoons, movies, stuffed animals, and pictures of sharks, usually, although we've been working at it). You'd want to do the same thing with cages if you want it to be worth anything. Even still, the CR 6 or less version should only be 5 points at the most, and that's only if people are actively trying to capture faeries in your setting.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim
My wife has a massive shark phobia we've been working on.
Which direction? ;)
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
JAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim
From a Psych standpoint, Fear of CAGES is different than Fear of Being Caged.

My wife has a massive shark phobia we've been working on. It's not a fear of being eaten by sharks, it's a fear of sharks themselves (also toys, cartoons, movies, stuffed animals, and pictures of sharks, usually, although we've been working at it). You'd want to do the same thing with cages if you want it to be worth anything. Even still, the CR 6 or less version should only be 5 points at the most, and that's only if people are actively trying to capture faeries in your setting.
OK right - seeing a lion cage at zoo would not make a pixie scared. Seeing a bird cage of size that could hold the pixie would make the pixie uneasy. But someone holdign such a cage in front of pixie with the door open would trigger the phobia as there would be a threat of being caged - even though the pixie would most likely be able to avoid being captured. Maybe somebody holding a butterfly net would trigger the phobia too even though no cage was shown..

And I suppose there are faerie hunters out there - othervise the phobia would not make any sense in the first place. Also as a racial disadvantage it's a bit more severe as most people will know about it and can use it to freak out faeries (for whatever it's worth.)... SO I'd say 10 points with CR 6 could be OK. If it was not racial ability or if most people don't know about it (faeries are rare or something) then 5 points. It being commonly known would make it at least twice as common a situation where caging is used as a threat to come up so 10 points in that case would not be too much if it's 5 otherwise.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Anaraxes

And if actually caged, the pixie freaks out, irrationally slamming against the walls to get out, maybe even hurting itself -- sort of the way a claustrophobic would panic in a confined area. The cage-phobic pixie won't be sulking in its cage making up escape plans, for example, or casting spells through the bars. It's out of its mind. And a few hours of abject terror would probably lead to psychological scars, either forcing buying off the disad (a la aversion therapy), or causing even worse problems (like, say, catatonia to mentally avoid the problem).

Any PC is going to protest at being caged and will want to be free. An actual point-worth phobic disadvantage has to be a lot stronger than a mere dislike.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote