Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #21
KevinJ

Default Re: Lesser Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
The whole demon thing will have to be reworked anyway, since IQ 35 wizzes are about to become very thin on the ground.
Even IQ24 warlocks will become a rarified field of endeavor.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Even IQ24 warlocks will become a rarified field of endeavor.
Sheesh, the highest I ever got a Wizard was IQ17. I must have been slacking 😳😳
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #23
JLV

I don't think anyone was actually advocating a Fiend Folio here or anything. What I would like to see is some variation...

You summon a Greater Demon and its attributes are:

ST 80 + 4D6
DX 11 + 1D6
IQ 13 + 2D6

As opposed to:

ST 100
DX 14
IQ 20

This provides a bit of variation between Demons (and once one is successfully summoned, maybe it can be summoned again...).

Or, as a different thing, why not some published variants, the same way that "Elementals" are differentiated -- giving them different powers, different weaknesses and different forms.

So, no, I don't think any of us want "Azbabiel, the Lesser Demon of Bad Breath and Small Slams"...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I don't think anyone was actually advocating a Fiend Folio here or anything. What I would like to see is some variation...

You summon a Greater Demon and its attributes are:

ST 80 + 4D6
DX 11 + 1D6
IQ 13 + 2D6

As opposed to:

ST 100
DX 14
IQ 20

This provides a bit of variation between Demons (and once one is successfully summoned, maybe it can be summoned again...).

Or, as a different thing, why not some published variants, the same way that "Elementals" are differentiated -- giving them different powers, different weaknesses and different forms.

So, no, I don't think any of us want "Azbabiel, the Lesser Demon of Bad Breath and Small Slams"...
I,like the variable rolls and the idea of personalityes. Somewhere there are charts for personality traints (might be in 1E AD&D DMG) that you could use for a 'generic' demon that you summon. I think knowing a Demon's name would be important and an in game tome with some information about some specific demons like their names and personality traits and know abilites would be interesting.

BillyJoeJimBob, the lesser deomn of engine repair, might be fairly friendly after you give him a box of stogies (sitting inside the pentagram at the time of summoning) as payment for his help, and can help you fix just about any mechanical engine, for a bottle of two of fine booze he might be induced into giving up the name of a 'friend' who knows a lot about construction techniques. Cultivating a 'freindship' with BillyJoeJimBob might make him more amicable in the future.

Horribilus the Horrible, Lesser Demon of tearing people limb from limb; he swears a lot, makes threats of physical violance against the summoner and his family, but he can teach melee skills to whomever he is instructed to teach (you learn both by doing as instructed as partly through a form of limited wish where you gain the talent when the time is up). You just have to give him what he wants, an intelligent, living and concious mortal to tear limb from limb (bound inside the pentagram during summoning). All instruction comes after the tearing limb from limb, which might be part of the instruction.

It's important to note that all 'demons' may not be 'demons', they might just be people from other dimensions who are summoned from their time and place. Some might not even need to be coerces into doing things they enjoy.

Ralph the Bombastic might really enjoy giving lectures on astro-physics and materials technology, since being summoned gets him out of the hell he currently resides in fior a little while.

Last edited by KevinJ; 06-21-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Gah!
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote