Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Terquem

Default Melee and Wizard "Challenges"

Back a few years ago Steve Jackson Games released little booklets for the Car Wars game with two vehicles pitted against each other, like this one

Division 5 set 1

Would it be conceivable to get the same sort of thing released after the Kickstarter? A small booklet, complete with a unique map or setting, and two pre designed heroes facing off in battle?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Tolenkar

Default Re: Melee and Wizard "Challenges"

Sounds cool. Musashi vs. Kojiiro would be kinda cool. I even have the Samurai Cardboard Heroes for it. Maybe it would be better as an article or .PDF offering.

Yours in TFT,
Tolenkar
Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Back a few years ago Steve Jackson Games released little booklets for the Car Wars game with two vehicles pitted against each other...Would it be conceivable to get the same sort of thing released after the Kickstarter? A small booklet, complete with a unique map or setting, and two pre designed heroes facing off in battle?
Great idea Terquem. I suppose the long-term play-value would be in the unique battle map offered by each of the different "Challenges". Very cool idea.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Chris Rice

I think, rather than just two figures, pitching two interestingly matched "teams" against each other would be better. Different "mini-matchups" could be included in the booklet. This would provide a lot more playability than just two figures. Examples:

Dark Elves and Spiders.
Orcs and Ogres.
Goblins and Wolves.
Elves and Centaurs.
Vampires and Werewolves.

Etc.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
JLV

That's a better idea, in my opinion -- more play value for your money. You could also take things from History -- Knights versus Mongols, Romans versus Spartans, Persians versus Macedonians, Aztecs versus Conquistadors, etc.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Groknard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think, rather than just two figures, pitching two interestingly matched "teams" against each other would be better.
So many thumbs up on this. I used to make something similar on index cards, totaled with some point level rating to try to keep the teams fairly evenly matched. Useful and fun for random draws for an afternoon/evening of solo play.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think, rather than just two figures, pitching two interestingly matched "teams" against each other would be better. Different "mini-matchups" could be included in the booklet. This would provide a lot more playability than just two figures. Examples:

Dark Elves and Spiders.
Orcs and Ogres.
Goblins and Wolves.
Elves and Centaurs.
Vampires and Werewolves.

Etc.
Hi Chris,
I like this idea. The product could have a few scenarios, a simple 1vs1 for newbies just learning. A mass battle with terrain for after they are expert. TFT really shines when you have a fair number of figures on each side with maneuver and terrain (so moving matters.. this hex is better than that hex).

Your larger product is more likely to showcase the great parts of our game.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
...You could also take things from History -- Knights versus Mongols, Romans versus Spartans, Persians versus Macedonians, Aztecs versus Conquistadors, etc.
I love this idea for what it is on it's own, but I also love it as a potential product for the line; which would be a great way to introduce specifics on a certain race/culture not fleshed out in TFT:ITL - Could be a great alternative to the typical Splat Book - this would be a "Splat MicroGame" ;-)

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
David Bofinger

Some of the fights should be 2-vs-1 or 3-vs-2: you never know how many players they might have on a particular day. I think this could be an interesting product.

I remember the original Dragonquest hex map was blank on one side and had a variety of terrains on the other.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

This is not totally unlike something we are thinking about.

But it's not totally like it either, so keep the thoughts coming!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote