Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [DF] Mermaid racial template?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Wouldn't No Legs be "Aquatic" [-5] rather than "Slithers"? Slithers makes me think snakes, not fish. Ground Move becomes 0, Water Move is Speed sans fractions.

Semi-Aquatic [0] is also viable, given merfolk have arms; Ground Move is 1/5 Water Move
That would totally be the case, if we weren't intentionally building it to function well on land.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Wouldn't No Legs be "Aquatic" [-5] rather than "Slithers"? Slithers makes me think snakes, not fish. Ground Move becomes 0, Water Move is Speed sans fractions.
In theory, some sort of undulating motion might be possible (although admittedly they'd probably resemble a lamia), or with strong tails they might be able to kind of bounce their way around on land (which would technically be No Legs (Bounces), but that's in the same category as Slithers). In any case, you'd expect reduced Ground Move, but that isn't strictly necessary.

Quote:
Semi-Aquatic [0] is also viable, given merfolk have arms; Ground Move is 1/5 Water Move
Semi-Aquatic is a bit harsh if you want your mermaids to be viable on land. I wouldn't require them to use their arms, although for a more complicated build being able to go faster on land by using their arms could be an option. Considering that would only boost their Ground Move to 1/3 Speed (they'd functionally be crawling), it might not be horrible to make that a Perk.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The OP did mention that they planned the adventure to be water based.
She may just be used for a single adventure, but I'd like to design her such that she could be used for future, non-aquatic adventures (in case my daughter falls in love). I like the options I've seen here for merfolk who can handle land just fine.

I wonder about adding some DR to the tail. That would mitigate the need for armor, at least a bit. (Though a merknight will need something funky.) I mostly play DFRPG and rarely design builds with full GURPS, so let me check that I know how to do this right. DR 1 for the legs would cost 4 points (-20%). Does that change if I include the feet (flipper) too?

I'm ambivalent about the dependency, though it would be nice to have a sensible disadvantage or two to help reduce the price of the template. But, ultimately, the price isn't that important.

Edit: And thank you, everyone, for diving into this with me. I love these forums!
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
bert

Alternatively, the mermaid has an alternate form (human-like) which is dependent on some kind of artifact to function. Like a bracelet or similar item. After the first aquatic adventure, a side story could be to find the item to be able to transform to human form... and thus be able to participate in regular, on-land dungeon delves afterwards.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Alternatively, the mermaid has an alternate form (human-like) which is dependent on some kind of artifact to function. Like a bracelet or similar item. After the first aquatic adventure, a side story could be to find the item to be able to transform to human form... and thus be able to participate in regular, on-land dungeon delves afterwards.
Thats kind of the approach I did with mine (linked on the first page) I just gave them Switchable on Amphibious with the special effect they can switch between legs and tail. Gills are normal but in the description I mention they wear scarves both to protect the gills on land and to cover them up so they look more normal to humans.
Another thing I gave them thats a bit different from typical is Chameleon 2. This helps them sneak around better for adventuring, plus they use it for basic signaling and temp control (brighter colors to reflect,darker to absorb light).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #16
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Thats kind of the approach I did with mine (linked on the first page) I just gave them Switchable on Amphibious with the special effect they can switch between legs and tail. Gills are normal but in the description I mention they wear scarves both to protect the gills on land and to cover them up so they look more normal to humans.
Another thing I gave them thats a bit different from typical is Chameleon 2. This helps them sneak around better for adventuring, plus they use it for basic signaling and temp control (brighter colors to reflect,darker to absorb light).

Ahh... I didn't get the implication of switchable. That might work for me.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I wonder about adding some DR to the tail. That would mitigate the need for armor, at least a bit. (Though a merknight will need something funky.)
Mail should work fine, and honestly any "rigid" armor that is articulated enough for the fauld (abdomen) should as well. Unless you make the tail easier to hit than the legs, price and weight the armor as though it simply covered the legs.

Quote:
I mostly play DFRPG and rarely design builds with full GURPS, so let me check that I know how to do this right. DR 1 for the legs would cost 4 points (-20%). Does that change if I include the feet (flipper) too?
Looks right for GURPS RAW (I personally feel the RAW way of handling partial DR gives too low of a discount). I'd probably just ignore the "feet" - just assume the mermaids lack them outright.

Quote:
I'm ambivalent about the dependency, though it would be nice to have a sensible disadvantage or two to help reduce the price of the template.
Some sort of mana dependency wouldn't be outlandish for mermaids. A Dependency on being submerged in seawater every so often might still be an option (I think some myths - or at least some modern stories - either have mermaids dependent on occasional dips in the ocean, or staying away too long means they die if they go back in the ocean). As they evolved/were created for life in the water, Increased Consumption (Water Only -50%) is also an option (their bodies might not be as good at retaining water, as they're used to having a functionally inexhaustible supply). The fact they can get away with drinking seawater (unless they're some sort of freshwater-only mermaid) is probably an Advantage. I'd probably mark it as a Perk; it certainly isn't worth more than [2] (which would be something like Doesn't Eat or Drink (Water Only -50%, Cast-Iron Stomach -50%), but that would actually let you get away with drinking a lot more than just salt water). Of course, Increased Consumption should probably also have a further discount for allowing you to get away with drinking salt water. All told, being able to drink salt water, but having to drink twice as much water (fresh or salty) as a human, would probably work out to a net Feature (or a "wash" if you're feeling punny).

Last edited by Varyon; 07-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
Ahh... I didn't get the implication of switchable. That might work for me.
Thought it might need more explaining (that or everyone ignored the link). Switchable is cheaper and simpler than Alternate Form in this case, I got the idea from the suggestion of switchable body parts like claws.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
Phantasm

Uh... check mentions, because my post never said those which came after.

(for one thing, I almost never play DF, much less DFRPG)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Varyon

Quote:
Uh... check mentions, because my post never said those which came after.

(for one thing, I almost never play DF, much less DFRPG)
Fixed (once I figured out what you meant). Looks like I still had the "open quote" string from when I replied to you when I went and replied to Dalin. My apologies.

Tags
dungen fantasy, mermaid, race, racial template