Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
Dalillama

Default Re: Post apocalypse alcohol

Although depending on how recent the apocalypse is and where you are you might well be able to raid a brewery or brewer's supplier for some starter yeasts, and after that you just need to reserve some of the mash as starter for the next batch.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #22
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But it generally leads to more of that horrible rotgut. There are a lot of different yeasts and other microorganisms out there that will be happy to grow in your solution and produce all kinds of stuff in addition to (or instead of) ethanol and carbon dioxide. Sometimes you want this - the aforementioned fungi that break down starches, or the lactobacteria in sourdough cultures - but if you are going for a specific flavor, you need a rather specific set of microorganisms. Sure you could toss a pinch of sourdough starter in your barrel and the product will contain ethanol, but....
Well, both Lambic style beer, and a lot of mead styles assume wild fermentation. I haven‘t tried it, but I read a book about wild fermentation, and the author swears by it. It seems viable when you can no longer order Wyeast online...
Old 07-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #23
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Well, both Lambic style beer, and a lot of mead styles assume wild fermentation. I haven‘t tried it, but I read a book about wild fermentation, and the author swears by it. It seems viable when you can no longer order Wyeast online...
I haven't tried wild fermentation personally, either, but the local home brewer club has done it plenty. There's never been anything off-putting in the flavor from the finished products I've tried. Sour is the primary "wild" flavor you'll get, and sour beers taste great!

Once you achieve 3% ABV, there's nothing dangerous that can live in that level of alcohol, IIRC, maybe it's 4%. This is an important bit to remember also, beer may be safer to drink than water, depending on the situation. Small beer, common in Europe, is something I have done before, and it came out with an ABV of 2.7% in that batch, tasted better than any commercial light beer, but was a great, refreshing beer in the summer heat. I never had an issue with any type of infection, but I also had very good modern equipment, sanitizers, and practices - some of which will be lacking in a post apocalyptic setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Although depending on how recent the apocalypse is and where you are you might well be able to raid a brewery or brewer's supplier for some starter yeasts, and after that you just need to reserve some of the mash as starter for the next batch.
You can also get active yeast from bottles of certain commercial beers - those unfiltered & unpasteurized.

Last edited by namada; 07-06-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added second quote & reply
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Terebrant

Quote:
This might be gameable. I had a recipe for cider that used bottled juice and added apple skins for fermentation. For when the players have already looted the alcohol in a shop but still want to drink (and can wait a few days).
Terebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #25
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Once you achieve 3% ABV, there's nothing dangerous that can live in that level of alcohol, IIRC, maybe it's 4%. This is an important bit to remember also, beer may be safer to drink than water, depending on the situation. Small beer, common in Europe, is something I have done before, and it came out with an ABV of 2.7% in that batch, tasted better than any commercial light beer, but was a great, refreshing beer in the summer heat. I never had an issue with any type of infection, but I also had very good modern equipment, sanitizers, and practices - some of which will be lacking in a post apocalyptic setting.
This. E.g. the Swedish Karoliner army (active around 1700, so TL4 I guess) only drank beer to avoid contaminated water. For this reason I would expect beer making to quickly move from the hobby it is pre apoc to something every settlement do.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:49 AM   #26
ak_aramis

Quote:
Especially in a post apocalyptic setting - but also in the real world - you don‘t even need to add yeast; wild fermentation is a thing.
Leaving it open to wild yeast, for mead, results in losing a good portion to wasps, hornets, and bees... Flies aren't generally a big issue; the wasps will keep them at bay.

But your bread yeast will work just fine...

Note that cultivated strains are much faster than wild strains, and in urban areas, the wild strains often produce unpleasant side chemicals. Why faster? Because you're dumping tens of thousands of fungal cells, instead of the half-a-dozen or less the wild will start with.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Leaving it open to wild yeast, for mead, results in losing a good portion to wasps, hornets, and bees... Flies aren't generally a big issue; the wasps will keep them at bay.
Wild fermentation means leaving it open to the air, not to insects. There will be some sort of screen for that. In Belgium, for example, Lambics and Flanders style beers were traditionally left to wild fermentation (some still are, but it's increasingly rare because science produces a more consistent commercial product - something consumers today look for, but not something folks will be looking for in a post-apoc setting.) They'd pump the beer into a loft, leaving the tanks wide open, while the screened windows were left open, and the fermentation would begin by the time the workers returned the next day. It wouldn't complete fermenting until a couple of weeks later, but even with the best equipment, a homebrewer can only get their beer thoroughly fermented in as fast as 4 days - that involves massive injections of yeast & pure oxygen. I always let my beer sit for at least a week to ensure complete fermentation.
Quote:
Note that cultivated strains are much faster than wild strains...[snip, reply below]...Why faster? Because you're dumping tens of thousands of fungal cells, instead of the half-a-dozen or less the wild will start with.
As you say, commercial yeasts contain thousands of times the number of cells that will ferment your beer via wild fermentation, so yes, it'll be faster to start and finish fermenting, but...
Quote:
and in urban areas, the wild strains often produce unpleasant side chemicals.
This, I think, is simply untrue. Belgium Lambics were produced right in the heart of cities historically, as that was were the market for commercial beer was - out in the countryside, folks were self-sufficient & made their own. Commercial breweries wouldn't make a profit there. In the cities, on the other hand, you've got loads of people looking for a drink and lack the time to brew their own.

As I mentioned before, the local homebrew club did wild fermentation, right in the heart of a city of 250,000 and right next door to a swamp too - the only thing you could taste was a slight sourness to the stuff (they did wine, mead & beer), which didn't occur when using commercial yeasts - & I think that was due to some bacteria settling in along with the yeast (the same bacteria that sours Lambics & Flanders, btw). They simply covered plastic buckets with netting that allowed the air (not insects) in.

As for bread yeast, I've actually often read that does produce unpleasant flavors (rather bready for a beer, perhaps), low alcohol (compared to commercial varieties, so it may be comparable to wild yeasts), and tends to not settle out, leaving your beer rather cloudy. Though, I have no actual experience with that, or personally know anyone that's tried it, I should add. I mean, it will make alcohol, and it will make something that can get you drunk, it's the same family of yeast as those that have been cultivated for beer & wine, if not the same varieties. I just can't see it being capable of making a good beer or wine - not without decades of use, and thus breeding out unpleasant traits, as has been done with varieties used for beer & wine.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
zorg
Experimental Subject

Nice - the gun threads attract shooters, this thread attracts homebrewers ;)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #29
Irish Wolf

What I have learned from this is that if I know there's an apocalypse coming, along with canned food and can openers I should stock up on a variety of brewing yeasts. I don't brew myself, but it sounds like it would be worth its weight in platinum as trade goods.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #30
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
What I have learned from this is that if I know there's an apocalypse coming, along with canned food and can openers I should stock up on a variety of brewing yeasts. I don't brew myself, but it sounds like it would be worth its weight in platinum as trade goods.
The nice thing is, if you‘re brewing continuously, you can cultivate and grow your yeasts, so you‘re less dependent on your stores.