Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Default Dentistry

How does one describe what dentists do in GURPS terms? Is dentistry an Expert Skill, substituting for Physician, Physiology, Diagnosis, and Electronics Operation(Medical)? Professional Skill seems appropriate, but Dentists require doctoral degrees to be considered competent, so it would appear to be an IQ H skill. Esoteric Medicine is wholly inappropriate, as tooth care is exoteric enough.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: Dentistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens)
Dentists require doctoral degrees to be considered competent
Not in Australia or the Commonwealth generally. Dentists practise with a degree as Bachelor of Dental Surgery. But then, our doctors practise with a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery double baccalaureate, not a doctoral degree. You have to do original research work to get a doctorate out here.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

My dentist has a Doctor of Dental Science degree, or D.D.S.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Agemegos

Quote:
My dentist has a Doctor of Dental Science degree, or D.D.S.
From what university?

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
From what university?
I can't recall which one, but I know he's a doctor.

By the way, I am posting from a U.S. perspective.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Mgellis

Quote:
How does one describe what dentists do in GURPS terms? Is dentistry an Expert Skill, substituting for Physician, Physiology, Diagnosis, and Electronics Operation(Medical)? Professional Skill seems appropriate, but Dentists require doctoral degrees to be considered competent, so it would appear to be an IQ H skill. Esoteric Medicine is wholly inappropriate, as tooth care is exoteric enough.
A dentist is simply a very specialized kind of doctor. I would build a dentist using optional specialties (Dental) for Diagnosis, Physician, and Surgery. A dentist may not need Electronics Operation (Medical)...in my experience, it is the dental hygienist (the person who cleans your teeth) who usually takes the X-rays, etc. A dentist probably has a point or two in Physiology, but probably won't need it at a high level.

Mark

P.S. One thing dentists do, by the way, is screen for things like oral cancer, gum disease, etc. So Diagnosis and Physician are definitely required, I think.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
How does one describe what dentists do in GURPS terms? Is dentistry an Expert Skill, substituting for Physician, Physiology, Diagnosis, and Electronics Operation(Medical)? Professional Skill seems appropriate, but Dentists require doctoral degrees to be considered competent, so it would appear to be an IQ H skill. .
The official way to make professional skills harder is to give them prerequisite skills. For example Physician.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
Not in Australia or the Commonwealth generally. Dentists practise with a degree as Bachelor of Dental Surgery. But then, our doctors practise with a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery double baccalaureate, not a doctoral degree. You have to do original research work to get a doctorate out here.
In the U.S. a medical degree is not the same thing as a PhD, although both are sometimes referred to as doctoral degrees. Most medical doctors and dentists have baccalaureates as well, followed by additional training at a medical school, but this is not strictly needed. A PhD, OTOH, requires original research, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with medicine, although there are people with both degrees. In GURPS terms, I would say that dentistry is a specialization of diagnosis, surgery, and possibly Physician, although they can be apallingly ignorant in terms of non-dental medicine (which is what a specialization does, IIRC- a large bonus to a narrow subset of a skill, accompanied by a penalty in other areas).
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
SimonAce

To make a dentist I'd use

Diagnosis (possibly Dental Diagnosis if you like variant skills) and Profession (Dentist) as a base. Call it IQ+1 for both (thats 12)

A Dentist might also have whatever the skill for anatomy is (IDHMBWM) first aid and admin (for insurance building) in the US some chemistry courses and various biology ones for pre med to round a template. -- probably a point in each skill

add in Surgery (Dental) for an Oral Surgeon.

With Comfortable Income, +1 IQ and Status 1 (its a respected trade) it comes to about 50pts
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama
In the U.S. a medical degree is not the same thing as a PhD, although both are sometimes referred to as doctoral degrees.
The same is true in the Commonwealth. But the difference is different. A Commonwealth MD (or LLD, or DSc) is conferred upon a distinguished researcher for a large corpus of original discovery, and ranks higher than a 'mere' PhD. And a "medical degree" is usually a MB.BS (or some variant) or BMed, not an MD.

We don't give doctorates equivalent to US "professional doctorates"/"first professional degrees". Our MDs are "higher doctorates", equivalent to a DSc, LLD, or DLitt.

Nod head. Get treat.

Tags
dentistry, surgery