Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #231
Icelander

Default Re: [Cutting-Edge Armor Design] Real World SCA-legal Armour and Ballistics Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you're looking at http://www.flashbainite.com/cm/dpl/i..._Challenge.jpg, that's not level IV. Level IV is 7.62M2 AP at 868m/s (2848 fps), that graphic is at 2100 fps. Pretty nice deceptive advertisement, though.
No, Flash® 500 is not the same alloy I'm thinking about. 'AR600' made using with the flash bainite process has a hardness of 600 and significantly better performance.

I was thinking that the performance of Vargas' armour might be around the performance of the Flash® 500 plate, so 5-6 mm will be enough for most 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm rounds, which are the most likely threats he'll face.

Actual armour-piercing ammunition looks like it is pretty rare in Mexico, even among cartels using various military ordnance. So full Level IV protection seems unecessary, even if it would be nice.

From a gamist point of view, the best the PCs can throw at him is 55 grain FMJ in 5.56x45mm from a 16" AR-15 barrel and 123 grain FMJ in 7.62x39mm from a 16" AK barrel. That's doing something around 5d-1 pi and 5d+1 pi.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #232
Anthony

Default Re: [Cutting-Edge Armor Design] Real World SCA-legal Armour and Ballistics Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
No, Flash® 500 is not the same alloy I'm thinking about. 'AR600' made using with the flash bainite process has a hardness of 600 and significantly better performance.
I find no evidence that the product you're talking about actually exists; it's not mentioned anywhere on the manufacturer's site, and it wouldn't make sense for them to be advertising the Flash 500 test if they had something better. Based on what they actually claim to have, 10 lb/sf would be about DR 30, and the 125 lb plate armor could manage an overall DR of about 15 (though with the way GURPS handles armor coverage, it's probably more like DR 20 with weak points).
Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #233
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I find no evidence that the product you're talking about actually exists; it's not mentioned anywhere on the manufacturer's site, and it wouldn't make sense for them to be advertising the Flash 500 test if they had something better.
I found evidence that it had been tested and met the criteria for MIL-DTL-32332 specification, which unfortunately means that there are restrictions on sales to parties that aren't the US military.

As Gary Cola had an dispute with some parties in the military procurement system and ultimately didn't make any sales, he ended up regretting having taken part in the testing.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutting-edge armor design, hema, jade serenity, pyramid #3/85, sca