Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #41
Parody

Default Re: Targeting modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
These days, I print out the vehicle sheets from the Combat Garage, a copy of the "official" Car Wars record sheet and put them in plastic sheet protector back to back. Then I write all over them with wet erase markers. Can't use dry erase markers, they rub off too easily.
I use the CWVD (of course :), with the "Show Handling Numbers on the Combat Record" preference turned off. I write on it with pencil.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #42
Chris Goodwin

Necro-ing again. Targeting modifiers for speed still bug me. I'm trying to both simplify them, and make reference to only the listed speed penalties as much as possible.

The following are my new house rules.

There are three distance bands: "far apart" (4" or further away), "near" (closer than 4" but greater than 1"), and point-blank (closer than 1").

Speed penalties only apply if the two units are near or point-blank. If they are far apart, speed penalties do not apply. All other modifiers continue to apply. (Point-blank bonus is conditional; see my later post for details.)

Stationary (target or attacker) bonuses apply if applicable regardless of distance, with some caveats.
  • If the attacker is a pedestrian, and not moving during the turn, they can collect the stationary attacker bonus. If their target is not moving, they can collect the stationary target bonus.
  • If the attacker is a nonmoving vehicle, they can collect the stationary attacker bonus. If their target is also not moving, they can collect the stationary target bonus.
  • If the attacker is a moving vehicle, and the target is not moving, the attacking vehicle can only collect the stationary target bonus if its own speed penalty is -0 (27.5 mph or slower).

More to come.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
Chris Goodwin

At near or point-blank:

If two vehicles are moving in the same direction and parallel, then use the faster vehicle's penalty reduced by the slower vehicle's. (In other words if the faster vehicle's penalty is -3, and the slower vehicle's is -2, there is a net -1 penalty.)

If two vehicles are moving in opposite directions and parallel, then combine their speed penalties. (For example, if both are at a -3 speed penalty, then the net is a -6.) The minimum speed penalty in this case will be -1, or -2 if the vehicles are at point-blank.

If they're moving perpendicular, toward or away, use the faster vehicle's speed penalty.

If two vehicles begin and end a phase within 1" of each other, they can each claim the point-blank combat bonus, but will still have to contend with the speed penalty.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #44
Magesmiley

As far as the speed modifiers, make sure that you take a look at the 6th post in this thread. It unwinds the speed targeting modifiers into something simpler and more usable, while still getting the same results. I use this unwound table in my play aids for conventions and most folks can comprehend it.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #45
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
As far as the speed modifiers, make sure that you take a look at the 6th post in this thread. It unwinds the speed targeting modifiers into something simpler and more usable, while still getting the same results. I use this unwound table in my play aids for conventions and most folks can comprehend it.
Yeah... I'm trying to avoid frequent table lookups, but I'm not sure that where I'm going with this is any better. I especially don't want to have to do a table lookup for each shot.

Still takes more thinking.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #46
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Yeah... I'm trying to avoid frequent table lookups, but I'm not sure that where I'm going with this is any better. I especially don't want to have to do a table lookup for each shot.

Still takes more thinking.
Understandable. The targeting modifiers in general are one of the regular slow points that the game has, due to their quantity and frequency of use. Replacing them is a bit tricky once you start digging into them though because there are simply a ton of things that affects the accuracy and a great many of them are very situational.

I have more than a few thoughts on the subject, but they're probably a bit moot at this point, as from what's been shown of 6th edition thus far it looks like weapons fire is probably going to custom dice.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #47
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Understandable. The targeting modifiers in general are one of the regular slow points that the game has, due to their quantity and frequency of use. Replacing them is a bit tricky once you start digging into them though because there are simply a ton of things that affects the accuracy and a great many of them are very situational.
True. Many of those won't change and can be printed on the vehicle sheet; a subcompact's front, luxury's side, or a cycle's tire won't change from one shot to the next. Range and speed are the major variables; I'm trying to figure out a way to simplify or speed up those as well. The play aids that Hawke and I came up with earlier on this thread helped with almost all of the movement related delays; I'm trying to, at most, use numbers available on, or that can be added to, those play aids or the vehicle sheet.

I think I've almost got something; with what I've got (far, near, point-blank) you're either counting speed modifiers or distance penalties, but not both. I'm going partly on the notion that at a distance, the target's speed matters a whole lot less, but closer up a car can whoosh past you quicker than you can target it.

My next idea is to use speed ranges: stopped (+1), slow (+0), medium (-1), fast (-3), extreme (-5). Medium is 30 to 57.5 mph; fast is 60 to 117.5 mph; extreme is 120 to 237.5. Every doubling beyond that is an additional -2. Speeds above slow cancel out any point-blank bonus, and at point-blank the speed penalties above slow are doubled. In a head-on or tail chase (front to front, front to rear, rear to rear), use the two vehicles' net speed (maybe halve the penalties from that, not sure). In a side to side or front/rear to side, use the target's speed only.

Playtesting will find the bugs in this.

Quote:
I have more than a few thoughts on the subject, but they're probably a bit moot at this point, as from what's been shown of 6th edition thus far it looks like weapons fire is probably going to custom dice.
So far, yes. 6th edition doesn't seem very much further along than it was a year ago at this time. The Triplanetary Kickstarter is going right now, and SJ is working on The Fantasy Trip, so I'm guessing that Car Wars 6e is on the back burner for now.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #48
Chris Goodwin

It occurs to me that we can simplify relative direction: either parallel (short axis to short axis or long axis to long axis) or perpendicular (short axis to long axis). And we can simplify relative velocity: closing, holding, or opening. There's something there; I'll think on it more.