Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
LordGoofy

Default Effect of weather (rain, snow, etc) vs Smoke?

Sorry, looked all over, found nothing about this, even in FAQ's. If a smoke cloud is created during weather, do things like rain/snow reduce its area, or TOE?
Wondering. Ty, scott
LordGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Effect of weather (rain, snow, etc) vs Smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGoofy View Post
If a smoke cloud is created during weather, do things like rain/snow reduce its area, or TOE?
I don't recall there ever being an Official Ruling on that. My old group's ruling was "only the worst penalty applies" -- that is: If smoke is providing a -2 TH, and something else is providing -2 or better, then it's -2; if the something-else is -3 or worse, then it's -3 or worse.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Magesmiley

I'm assuming the is a Classic question.

(Mods should move this thread to the Old Editions forum probably.)

Keep the game's time scale in mind. I suspect that rain/snow isn't going to dissipate a smoke cloud too much in a minute, much less the time for paint to dissipate.

We applied weather as a separate category for worst modifier than the cloud dropped weapons category, as it was a general effect that applied to the entire battlefield, rather than just the area of the dropped weapon. So the penalties stacked, just like if you fired through a longer distance of smoke (or multiple smoke clouds).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 07-15-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Grammar
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Keep the game's time scale in mind. I suspect that rain/snow isn't going to dissipate a smoke cloud too much in a minute, much less the time for paint to dissipate.
Depends how heavy the rain is. Any smoke cloud that lasts a minute in the first place is doing so because it's a burning object that is continually expelling smoke, and the rain might just extinguish it. Other than that, raindrops do capture and settle smoke particles, but they'll have to actually come in contact with a smoke particle to do so, and that's not that likely unless visibility is very poor (at visibility 'zero', which is 100m or less, the average time for a smoke particle to remain in the air before being hit by a raindrop is on the order of 4 seconds).
Old 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
LordGoofy

K, so if i follow correctly, weather has no effect on the effects of smoke, etc.
thnx.
LordGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
juris

It's not in any of the rules but it makes sense to me. If someone wanted to houserule cutting the duration in half during a rainstorm I'd say okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGoofy View Post
K, so if i follow correctly, weather has no effect on the effects of smoke, etc.
thnx.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote