Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Bestial Warlust

Default TFT and Gurps Conan

So I'm seeking knowledge of those here that have more experience with both systems. How to utilize Conan with TFT. Has anyone run a Hyborian adventure with TFT and if so what changes did you make. Besides the obvious no gun powder or elves, dwarves, etc...
What spells did you cut out? What did you adapt if anything from GURPS Conan?
Bestial Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: TFT and Gurps Conan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestial Warlust View Post
So I'm seeking knowledge of those here that have more experience with both systems. How to utilize Conan with TFT. Has anyone run a Hyborian adventure with TFT and if so what changes did you make. Besides the obvious no gun powder or elves, dwarves, etc...
What spells did you cut out? What did you adapt if anything from GURPS Conan?
I played Conan with TFT. And Elric. And many others. I didn't use anything from GURPS. I just used TFT pretty straight apart from the inclusion of Luck points which allowed rerolls. This is now part of Legacy (lesser Wish) although I awarded it differently.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
larsdangly

I've done this quite a bit. I never created a conversion document because I felt like I could do a good job with the necessary decisions on the fly. Regarding spells, I did not limit the spell list. Instead I simply don't have that many magicians in the game. They appear as heavies and in theory a PC wizard is fine, but in practice all my players chose to run various kinds of non-magical characters. Otherwise it is an obvious case of just omitting creatures and races and technologies that don't belong. The setting is full of goofy anachronisms; like full plate armor but no guns (which co-existed on the battle field throughout the middle ages). But if you know the primary material it isn't hard to make these calls.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
Skarg

GURPS Conan is mostly a "world book", meaning it's mostly information about the setting that isn't very specific to GURPS, which is a generic game system anyway, and GURPS' details are not all that different from TFT, so it's pretty easy to use GURPS Conan as a setting book for TFT.

While GURPS Conan is a really nice world book, like most GURPS world books, it gives you mainly an overview of the setting, with a few but not many details. It is not a complete ready-to-run campaign by any means, but more of a starting point and a reference to understand the setting.

It does have some specific spells representing some high-powered magic from the Conan books, which could be adapted to TFT spells.

There are also some quite nice programmed adventures for GURPS Conan, although converting those to TFT might be a bit of a problem unless you have a GM who knows both systems well and is comfortable converting things, since those are full of character details and challenges designed for high-powered GURPS characters.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Shostak

I give some guidance on converting GURPS Conan materials for use in TFT games over on my occasional blog.

Last edited by Shostak; 07-26-2022 at 07:59 PM. Reason: fixed link
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #6
JohnPaulB

I created characters for Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior, which is close to Conan style.

https://gamestercrafter.com/the-fant...stercrafte.pdf

If you watch the movie, you'll be able to identify the Abilities and Character traits of each one, including the Wendol.

I have read GURPS Conan many times throughout the years and its absolutely wonderful to get an idea of the whole realm.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #7
JohnPaulB

This is a very good post about GURPS Conan, but also a great post about how to convert GURPS to TFT.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
Skipper2921

Thanks for this thread. With the guidance here, I decided to get GURPS Conan. The conversions don't look too difficult and now I'll have four more solo adventures. Plus, maybe a little dabbling in GURPS. I hope to give it a solo run this weekend. Thanks all!

Last edited by Skipper2921; 09-28-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Skipper2921 is offline   Reply With Quote