Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
rosignol

Default Re: GURPS Assassin's Creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
That they are. How annoying is that, by the way? This game would look so much cooler if the fight choreography didn't look so staged.
Unfortunately, the way the combat system works in-game involves pulling a trigger to designate a mook, and then doing [stuff] to the mook. There isn't a way to designate multiple targets, so the 'stand in a circle waiting your turn to die' thing really is what happens.

Altho occasionally a mook will turn and run- a refreshing dash of realism that should happen much more often in the game, IMO...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Unfortunately, the way the combat system works in-game involves pulling a trigger to designate a mook, and then doing [stuff] to the mook. There isn't a way to designate multiple targets, so the 'stand in a circle waiting your turn to die' thing really is what happens.
The game is under no obligation to have the AI stand still just because you haven't asked it to dance yet.

If the enemies would attack you regardless of whether you had designated them or not, there would be a significant challenge even if there were fewer enemies and fight scenes would look much cooler.

Unfortunately, a reigning school of thought among consumers is that more is always better. Killing a thousand obligingly dumb enemies is apparently preferable to killing several hundred better choreographed ones.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Unfortunately, a reigning school of thought among consumers is that more is always better. Killing a thousand obligingly dumb enemies is apparently preferable to killing several hundred better choreographed ones.
I'm prone to launch into rants about how there were only 12 terrorists in Die Hard whenever I'm playing some purportedly "realistic" first person shooter and my 3-man team is expected to whack several hundred mooks.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #34
Icelander

I've changed the write-up a bit, after adding 25 points to the concept (and giving a corresponding extra to the other new player, as well as giving an in-play bonus to the two lowest valued PCs). I just couldn't fit it in with 625 points.

Now I'm reasonably happy with the capabilities and I'll present the character like this for approval. Unless someone has awesome suggestions or sees something very wrong.

Are there some things that Ezio does in the game that this character absolutely cannot do?

I'm not crazy about the lack of Danger Sense and Peripheral Vision, concept-wise, and I'm not happy with the lack of Luck for any powerful adventurer, but I guess those are things to work toward. Or is there anything here that should be dropped in favour of them? Any more disadvantages that would suit a heroic spy/covert operative whose cover in his home city was blown, forcing him to go abroad for a time?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #35
zoncxs

your ER(magical) should cost 30 not 27, ER doesn't get the power modifier. :)
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #36
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
This youtube video and the next two in the series do a pretty good job of showing Ezzio being a badass. I'd be more concerned with the hand-to-hand, knife, assassin's blade, and sword stuff, as that feels more "core" to me.
Very nice video :)

Most of the dialogues I've heard are either in English, with a thick Italian accent; or in Italian, with a thick American accent. I am wondering: in Assassin's Creed world, nobody speaks his own mother tongue? :P
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #37
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
your ER(magical) should cost 30 not 27, ER doesn't get the power modifier. :)
It does if it's affected by setting metaphysics in adverse ways, doesn't it?

If certain areas can wipe out your store of ER, for example. And certain monsters are drawn to it. So on.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #38
Opellulo

[SPOILER] Bear in mind that Ezio, Altair, Desmond and all the "Eagle Vision Capable" Assassins are not entirely human: in the Lore the humans are artificially evolved and the "Assassins" are the fruit of breeding with a more techologically advanced "first born" race (This in AC2, I'm going to play AC3 very soon).

For a full "Assassin's Creed" character you need to build first a racial template with higher phisical stats, Eagle Vision (a form of visual based Empahty), over the top Agility and Flexibility and some kind of racial memory.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #39
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
[SPOILER] Bear in mind that Ezio, Altair, Desmond and all the "Eagle Vision Capable" Assassins are not entirely human: in the Lore the humans are artificially evolved and the "Assassins" are the fruit of breeding with a more techologically advanced "first born" race (This in AC2, I'm going to play AC3 very soon).

For a full "Assassin's Creed" character you need to build first a racial template with higher phisical stats, Eagle Vision (a form of visual based Empahty), over the top Agility and Flexibility and some kind of racial memory.
All true, but not my goal here.

I just want to emulate the moves that Ezio can do, not the origin or the specific supernatural powers he is granted (Eagle Vision, etc.).

I really would like to fit Danger Sense and Peripheral Vision in there, though. See any potential for point savings of 30 points or so?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #40
rosignol

Quote:
The game is under no obligation to have the AI stand still just because you haven't asked it to dance yet.

If the enemies would attack you regardless of whether you had designated them or not, there would be a significant challenge even if there were fewer enemies and fight scenes would look much cooler.
Oh, they do, it's just not at the frantic 'swing per second' that you would expect to happen in a GURPS game. If you were trying to simulate AC2 in GURPS, the mooks should spend a lot of time Evaluating before they take a swing, and might be mentally stunned every so often on account of failing a fright check after seeing Ezio brutally kill their buddies.

Quote:
You may want to go out and pick the game up. AC2 is pretty reasonably priced (~$30ish) now that AC2:B is out.

Tags
assassin, assassin's creed, dungeon fantasy, forgotten realms, ninja