Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #181
Bruno

Default Re: New and Custom Quirks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Well, there was one time when laying out snacks for the gaming group I had bowls of potato chips, dip, pretzels, Chex mix, and Coco Puffs. o/‹ Got some odd "what is this?" looks from those not used to my personal quirks.
*brofist*

The sugary breakfast cereals in particular are (IME) crunchy cookie-like confections. I love crunchy food, so it really doesn't take much in the way of flavor enhancement before I can just eat it by the handful.

I'm not against putting milk-oid substances on top, but I'm lactose intolerant so it's a dairy substitute like almond or coconut milk, and I really want to eat it while it's still crunchy.

*munch crunch crunch crunch* - actually, depending on how reliably you do it, this is a quirk level of Noisy. Between rustling around in a crinkly bag and the crunching...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #182
jason taylor

Fiddles with ball bearings(Caine Mutiny)

Speaks in flowery language, ashamed of red hair(Anne of Green Gables)

Wears purple robes(Babylon 5)

Fond of his attack dogs(Magnum PI)

Likes Ferengi Card Games, likes Klingon martial sports(DS9)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #183
jason taylor

One I had was a starship captain who regularly carved fuzz sticks while sitting at his workstation to pass the time and keep himself disciplined. He would buy twigs at each port and keep a bucket beside him to pile finished work.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #184
edk926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Some of my own ideas, and a few I've seen on other threads:

Dislikes Change
You really don't like changes to your life or surroundings. It's not just changes that anyone would dislike (i.e. your village burning to the ground, your best friend dying, your parents disowning you), it's nearly any change, even if many people would think it for the better. Of course you still welcome some changes (i.e. the birth of a grandchild, the overthrow of a hated enemy), but for the most part you want things to stay just the way they are, and all else being equal, you try to keep them that way.
As someone that very much has this, it really can become more than a mere Quirk level issue sometimes. It holds me back from new experiences.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #185
WaterAndWindSpirit

Martial Pacifist: A quirk version of Pacifism. You dislike violence and try to solve problems with words rather than blows if it is reasonably possible. If your opponent gives you no choice though, you do not hesitate to come to blows. This quirk is often found on martial artists, real or fictional.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #186
WaterAndWindSpirit

Unusual Body Temperature: Maybe you come from an alternate dimension, or you are not quite human, or a mutant, or you have been affected by a supernatural phenomenon. Either way, your body temperature is slightly higher or lower than that of a baseline human, giving anyone who hasn't been informed about it a -2 to use the Diagnosis skill on you to identify sicknesses affecting you, as well as a -1 familiarity penalty to anyone who is not used to dealing with your medical issues. Anyone using infrared or other heat-based sensors who knows about this metabolic oddity of yours gets a +2 to any skill to identify and/or track you.

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 10-25-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #187
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Either way, your body temperature is slightly higher or lower than that of a baseline human . . .
I'd change that to "outside the normal human body temperature range." There is significant variation during the day-night cycle, and different people have slightly different baselines.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #188
Black Leviathan

I know I'm coming t this late but I don't see anything about Atheism that would be a quirk. It's no less of a worldview and it could potentially drive a character decision but it's not something that would form an obstacle or a visible characterization. You don't have any observed ritual or any specific codified behaviors. You just don't believe. You could be a preachy Atheist, having to constantly criticize people for taking things on faith or believing in the supernatural, but that's another animal.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #189
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I know I'm coming t this late but I don't see anything about Atheism that would be a quirk. It's no less of a worldview and it could potentially drive a character decision but it's not something that would form an obstacle or a visible characterization. You don't have any observed ritual or any specific codified behaviors. You just don't believe. You could be a preachy Atheist, having to constantly criticize people for taking things on faith or believing in the supernatural, but that's another animal.
In a highly religious society, atheists are gonna be considered weird. In a fundamentalist society, it would be a full-on Secret.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #190
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
The quirk would be "Outspoken Atheist" or "Doesn't attend church". And either way it would only qualify in a reference society where religiosity is standard.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quirks