Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Gwythaint

Default polearm mechanic for hooking/entangling

I am trying to determine a mechanic for using a hooked polearm to dismount a mounted opponent. I know thst this was a primary function of thos type of weapon, but as I have yet to pick up a copy of Low Tech, I am not sure if this has been covered.
My guess is that after a successful hit with the hook end of the weapon, with maybe a -4 penalty, it would become a quick contest of ST (for the attacker) vs
The riding skill of the horseman, modified by saddle type, and that once hooked, more attackers could grab the weapon and combine ST as for raising a porticullis.
Gwythaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
dripton

Default Re: polearm mechanic for hooking/entangling

The rules for a Hook are on page 54 of Low Tech. One of the options is to force an opponent to change position -- from feet to knees, or from knees to the ground. But it doesn't actually mention what happens if the opponent is mounted.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
chandley

Martial Arts also has rules for entangling and hooking weapons, and of course Technical Grappling has a more effects based, less binary option for entangling and hooking weapons.

I really recommend TG actually. I had a few questions when I started using it, but DouglasCole is very active on these boards and on his own blog, and once you sit down and use TG a bit, it is really hard to go back to the standard way. It is just more fun the TG way.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Gwythaint

I appreciate the referenes, and Low tech is definitely on my wish list, but at the
Moment, I don't have it, and was wondering if anyone could direct me in short form.
Gwythaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Varyon

Low-Tech has them using the Hook technique to force a Change Posture, and I'd say going from sitting to prone/supine would be sufficient to pull someone off their horse. In that, it's just a Quick Contest of ST.

Going with the more detailed Technical Grappling, you're grappling with your weapon and using Force Posture Change, again to go from sitting to prone/supine. This is similar, but now uses Trained ST - for the target, this is going to be based on Riding, which probably has a Fast progression for things like this (staying in the saddle tends to be emphasized). The height difference probably allows the attacker to make better use of his weight, either doubling the effect of changing his own posture or allowing him to penalize his target based on some fraction (say, 50%) of his weight, based on Weight and Grappling (TG8).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
df combat, entangling, polearm