Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Whats it like for WordBound of 'Completed' Words?

What do you think it was like for wordbound of The Abolitionist movement, the Underground Railroad, the Liberator Newspaper, etc when Slavery was abolished?

On one hand they must have been giddy but also feel pained because their word would soon die without something to oppose.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Whats it like for WordBound of 'Completed' Words?

This is why having a Word for something that is likely to end is a poor idea, and having too many Word-bound on related subjects is a poor planning by the Seraphim Council.

The way out of that trap for an individual celestial is to expand their Word to a more abstract concept that includes the old Word. If there are several Word-bound on closely related subjects, they'll be competing for fewer expanded Words, and some will lose out, and then die.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #3
Methariel

Hi everybody,

like johndallman said, I doubt, that the Seraphim Council would have bestowed Words, that - on the temporal axis - had a very good chance to become obsolete in the foreseeable future. And if it had, I assume john's explanation about what would have happened is valid, in my opinion.

That left aside, I think, that the Seraphim Council would have rather bestowed the - more broad - Word of Liberation, or, perhaps, Abolition of Slavery in a wider context, whose holder would have been and probably still is closely watched by Judgement, because of being conceptually dangerously close to Freedom. I think, it is good to keep in mind, that the Seraphim Council usually tries to bestow Words that apply, as much as possible, globally.

In that view, the Seraphim Council might very probably even have refrained to bestow any Words in this particular venue at all, because of that very reason, leaving it to angels of the Wind, Fire, Destiny, and the occasional angel of Judgement, to combat slavery and all that it entails.

Best regards,

M.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
That left aside, I think, that the Seraphim Council would have rather bestowed the - more broad - Word of Liberation, or, perhaps, Abolition of Slavery in a wider context, whose holder would have been and probably still is closely watched by Judgement, because of being conceptually dangerously close to Freedom. I think, it is good to keep in mind, that the Seraphim Council usually tries to bestow Words that apply, as much as possible, globally.
I think I'd go with Emancipation. Even in its original Latin it already expanded to cases other than strict slavery, and as long as there are humans there will be people deserving release from unjust bonds of some sort.

For the Underground Railroad, I dunno, I suppose there might be an angel of Wind with the word of Moral Smuggling.

But honestly it's a bit of modernist thinking that Heaven opposes slavery as slavery. The abuses it commonly leads to yes, but all the Abrahamic religions depict a God who seems OK with the general concept. There could perfectly well be an Angel of Slavery working to promote it's proper forms. Doubtless opposed by demons in the service of the Prince of Democracy.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think I'd go with Emancipation. Even in its original Latin it already expanded to cases other than strict slavery, and as long as there are humans there will be people deserving release from unjust bonds of some sort.
I would agree. Given the time of year, I should note that the English-language version of "O, Holy Night" contains a verse that was quite topical when it was written, but reminds relevant in a larger sense even after the 13th Amendment:

Chains shall He break,
For the slave is our brother,
And in His name, all oppression shall cease.

A statement like this would be at the core of an Angel of Emancipation, whatever the time and place.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
PenitentDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But honestly it's a bit of modernist thinking that Heaven opposes slavery as slavery. The abuses it commonly leads to yes, but all the Abrahamic religions depict a God who seems OK with the general concept. There could perfectly well be an Angel of Slavery working to promote it's proper forms. Doubtless opposed by demons in the service of the Prince of Democracy.
On this id agree somewhat but ask how would the Angel of slavery feel about the Angel of Liberation or Demon of Slavery?

Probaly not really like either one, but empathize a bit more with the first?

Or how would the Angel of Traditional Gender Roles Feel about say Lilith, or Angels of the Wind or Creationers?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
On this id agree somewhat but ask how would the Angel of slavery feel about the Angel of Liberation or Demon of Slavery?

Probaly not really like either one, but empathize a bit more with the first?

Or how would the Angel of Traditional Gender Roles Feel about say Lilith, or Angels of the Wind or Creationers?
I think one of the things that distinguishes Angelic words from Demonic ones is that angels have a sense of how important their word is supposed to be in the symphony. The Demon of Slavery would think it's great if everyone on Earth was enslaved. The Angel of Slavery knows better. Conversely the Princess of Freedom thinks everyone should be free of everything all the time, while the Angel of Liberation though knows there are some bonds that shouldn't be broken, and perhaps some slaves who shouldn't be freed, though he might be less inclined to admit to that second bit. I can imagine Angels realizing their word has gotten *too loud* and actively working with the Angel with an opposing word to make their own weaker. Demons are not going to do that.

The Angel of Slavery may very well work with the Angel of Liberation all the time, for just that reason. It's not his job to promote his word, but to make it work *as God intended*. If too many slaves on Earth are stuck in forms God doesn't approve of and which can't be reformed into proper ones, he's all for liberating them.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
like johndallman said, I doubt, that the Seraphim Council would have bestowed Words, that - on the temporal axis - had a very good chance to become obsolete in the foreseeable future. And if it had, I assume john's explanation about what would have happened is valid, in my opinion.
This is well for Angels. But demons are more unfortunate in their oversight, and if they catch the big guy on a bad day they get a bad word. What about the unfortunate demon of Disestablismentarianism? Or... The demon of stuck chariot wheels? Or the demon of thrown horseshoes? or of tangled togas? The book example was stale bong water, but surely there were some in the past equally unfortunate.

I would imagine they haunt reenactments and historians. Maybe this is why we think bone corsets and hoop skirts are so bad? The remaining demons take every possible chance to inflict their pain. Expanding their word philosophically is a good idea, but sometimes difficult.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
This is well for Angels. But demons are more unfortunate in their oversight, and if they catch the big guy on a bad day they get a bad word. What about the unfortunate demon of Disestablismentarianism?
Well, the word isn't as big as it was in its heyday, but there's still work for him. Disestablishments of state churches in the last half-century include Norway in 2017, Bolivia in 2009, Sweden in 2000, Paraguay in 1992, Haiti in 1987, Italy in 1985, Spain in 1978, Cyprus in 1977, and Ethiopia in 1974. Denmark (including the Faeroes and Greenland), England, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, and Tuvalu all have state churches, and at least some face disestablishment movements.

And there are things short of a classic established church that resemble one in a wide variety of other countries (e.g. cases of religions other than Christianity, state financial support without official status, official status without state financial support, various specific privileges, various ceremonial and symbolic supports). It seems likely that the Word of Disestablismentarianism would conceptually cover efforts to eliminate those things, too, and the the demon is a fan of, for example, the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Or... The demon of stuck chariot wheels? Or the demon of thrown horseshoes? or of tangled togas? The book example was stale bong water, but surely there were some in the past equally unfortunate.
The real by-the-book example isn't Stale Bong Water (he's just trivial), but the Demon of Buggy Whips -- who died from Word decay, per the GMG, p.31. Per p.29 of the same book, celestials who are dying because their words are dying are sometimes saved by their Superior taking them to the Seraphim Council/Lucifer to get them unbound.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #10
dstar

I'm going to be a bit NSFW here, but, well, I'm also going to speak from personal experience.

Not all slaves are involuntary. I can testify to this from personal experience. Sadly, I lost her four years ago to throat cancer. You don't _get_ throat cancer at 44, but she did.

And unfortunately, not all voluntary slaves remain so, because this world sucks.

There will always be something for the Angel of Emancipation to do... even if it's only parceling out people who need to be slaves to the people who will support them best, even if said slaves won't help themselves.

Ironic, no?
dstar is offline   Reply With Quote