Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Dammann

Default Statting a magic item ability as Power, Enchantment, or Sorcerous Enchantment

I have an idea for a magic item, and I'd like to compare builds using a few systems. If someone wants to offer another build or critique any of my builds, I welcome that.

The item is an arrow. Shooting the arrow and hitting one's target instantly teleports the archer to the spot where the arrow strikes, with his/her hand on the arrow, ready to pull the arrow from the target. So aiming at a hex would teleport the archer to that hex (the main use I see for this item). Aiming at a creature teleports the archer to the creature. I would like the arrow to do no damage, however, if it strikes a creature. A failed or dodged shot should not teleport the archer, so intent is important.

As a Power
Warp (requires skill roll, -10%; gadget, easily snatched (from quiver or on a missed shot) -40%; missing damage effect, -20%; magic -10%) [20]

Notes: I think I have a handle on Powers, and this seems about right although I may have forgotten something. Still, since it has -80% in limitations, that is probably academic.

As a Magic Enchantment
Spell Arrow & Teleport, for a net 90,000 energy!

Notes: requires a roll against Body Sense, and there is a danger of injury. Also, this one still damages the target, which is a failure to meet a design specification. This seems like it would be very costly, whatever enchanters get paid in your campaign.

As a Sorcerous Enchantment
Affliction (Advantage: Warp (requires skill roll, -10%; missing damage effect, -20%; magic -10%) +600%) [70]x 0.12 = 9 Enchantment Points

Notes: I am not at all sure I'm doing this right. If you cast a spell on an object, there is no gadget limitation, I assume. I'm not sure if casting the spell on the arrow to enchant it would teleport the archer, here.

I welcome comments and different takes on this idea.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Statting a magic item ability as Power, Enchantment, or Sorcerous Enchantment

Impaling attack with no wounding and warp with the limitations for it being only triggered on a hit vs intended target.

Or

Warp with follow up +50% and limitations for only to trigger on a hit vs intended target. This can then be put into the affliction to make it into a weapon buff.

Or

Plot item.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, powers, sorcery