Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
Daigoro

Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I have 10 km radius here, and period 200 seconds. My reading suggests that that is ample to avoid dizziness, disorientation, and sickness. But there will be some noticeable Coriolis effects. A person running fast (10 ms^1) to the east will feel a 6% increase in "gravity", and a person running fast to the west a 6% decrease. The difference in long-jump distances will be the same. Rising in a high-speed lift (1 storey per second) you will feel a force of a 0.9% of a gee pushing you east.

I don't think it will affect anyone's Rugby skills.
5-6%, or a 10-12% range in ability, would be quite significant in many situations. With guns, having to shoot higher or lower by that much (and it would be more at bullet velocities) would give a huge penalty to skill.

I think Rotating Frame G-Experience would be a valid enhancement if you want to go for realism.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #32
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I think Rotating Frame G-Experience would be a valid enhancement if you want to go for realism.
Good point.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #33
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
I'm foreign. You can't expect me to recognise such oblique references to Disney World.
But it's right there by the spaceport!

Blown up or no, my point is that they don't necessarily have to go far afield to have those environments available for training, especially if there's a place purpose-built for high-budget, short-time-span tourism/dversion. Like the luxurious capital space habitat described.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 03-19-2011 at 01:28 AM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #34
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Blown up or no, my point is that they don't necessarily have to go far afield to have those environments available for training, especially if there's a place purpose-built for high-budget, short-time-span tourism/dversion. Like the luxurious capital space habitat described.
Sure. I don't go in for single-biome planets, and even if I did you would be dead right about the possibility of building different sorts of environments as training ranges at a single campus. It is the gravity issue that binds. I think I need free-fall, asteroidal gravity, light, medium, and heavy. So I can get away with a light planet, a heavy planet, and multiple locations in this solar system.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #35
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Sure. I don't go in for single-biome planets, and even if I did you would be dead right about the possibility of building different sorts of environments as training ranges at a single campus. It is the gravity issue that binds. I think I need free-fall, asteroidal gravity, light, medium, and heavy. So I can get away with a light planet, a heavy planet, and multiple locations in this solar system.
The habitat is superior to Disneyworld in that lower gravity levels are available at locations closer to the axis, and if you have those pods I mentioned a while back extending further from the axis, then you've got heavier gravities, though they might not be roomy enough for operations there to count as field exercises.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #36
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
What about also training in rotational gravities?

For slow RPM rotations, like in an O'Neill size habitat, the coriolis(sp?) effect should be neglible, but for much smaller habitats it will be an issue.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #37
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What about also training in rotational gravities?

For slow RPM rotations, like in an O'Neill size habitat, the coriolis(sp?) effect should be neglible, but for much smaller habitats it will be an issue.
There are rotating habitats in the Solar System, others besides the Capitol.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #38
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
There are rotating habitats in the Solar System, others besides the Capitol.
But is it part of the training regimen? If not, should it be?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #39
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
But is it part of the training regimen? If not, should it be?
Certainly it should. The Fleet Protection deployment involves a lot of boarding and inspection on smaller-sized colonial habitats. (Besides ships and asteroids.)

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The habitat is superior to Disneyworld in that lower gravity levels are available at locations closer to the axis, and if you have those pods I mentioned a while back extending further from the axis, then you've got heavier gravities, though they might not be roomy enough for operations there to count as field exercises.
Also, unlike Disneyworld, the O'Neill Habitat probably doesn't have that pernicious rodent problem.

:)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, o'neill cylinder, oberth cylinder, orbital habitat, space