Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
oblate_x

Default GURPS Gameplay Video Series

I'm a big fan of Robot Chicken, and as I was looking at some RC-related stuff on YouTube, I stumbled upon a three-hour-long session of DnD posted in 10-minute intervals (first vid in the series is here ). This was several members of the writing/performing staff of Robot Chicken playing with someone from the DnD main offices. As I understand it, these videos were on the DnD website as well, to serve as an entertaining introduction to 4e for prospective players to watch.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for SJGames to do something similar? I mean, not with the Robot Chicken folks, not necessarily with anyone famous (unless there's some otherwise-famous famous GURPS enthusiast out there who would want to), but just a video or series of videos of a really well-run and entertaining session or series of sessions. Do you think this could be used as a promotion for GURPS? I know it would come in handy for me, because I have some friends on the fence about trying RPGing, and might enjoy being able to spectate one of these things in comfortable privacy to see if it's something they'd like.

What does the rest of the GURPS-o-sphere think?

Last edited by oblate_x; 04-03-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: URL problem
oblate_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
lachimba

Default Re: GURPS Gameplay Video Series

Podcasts work well too.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Ragitsu
Banned

Isn't that just a fancy term for MP3?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
DreadPirateLynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Isn't that just a fancy term for MP3?
There's video podcasts too.

Back on topic though: I think this would be a good idea. If done properly I'd use it to introduce new players to GURPS, or even RPing in general
DreadPirateLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
lachimba

Penny Arcade did it this for D&D and it seems like a pretty good way of promoting the system.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
panton41

I've considered this, but my worry is that even with good editing it would come off as boring, so amateurish as to be embarrassing and distracting during the actual game.

The amateurish part is arguably a part of the experience and properly done could have the appeal of a cable access video, but there comes a point where it would just get painful to watch.

And the distraction is pretty bad, too. I have enough "stage fright" some nights as it is, much less if I knew I was being recorded.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
oblate_x

A) To those who celebrate it, Happy Easter.

B) As far as the amateurishness goes: Check out the Robot Chicken videos on YouTube. They got someone who actually works for Wizards of the Coast and does a whiz-bang job. (Also, he made a voice-over series using the same video, called the DM's Commentary, in which he talked about game mechanics and so forth). They invested a little time and money in proper video editing, with multiple angles and so forth. This was a professionally done thing.

Now here's the thing: I have only ever participated in GURPS, since I got into this hobby in 2003/4. Never had any interest in DnD, found the multiple types of dice thing very offputting. After watching the video, I actually had an interest.

That's what I'd like to see happen for GURPS.
oblate_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
chimchim

i appologise in advance for a slight thread drift here but did anyone else have a problem with the description of the awsomely armoured dwarf? D&D dwarfs are what 4 feet tall? this one had a great sword on its back! ok some serious amount of blade plus handle over his shoulder which should make drawing it dificult to say the least lol. Then there was the 6 swords/daggers in his boots. A sword in your boots? my mind screamed abuse at me for just trying to imagine that lol.

back on subject however these videos may actually prove usefull to me as i have a small number of people who have expressed curiousity about RPG's but cant seem to get them based on my descriptions. I will show them the videos instead and see what happens.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
PPoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
i appologise in advance for a slight thread drift here but did anyone else have a problem with the description of the awsomely armoured dwarf? D&D dwarfs are what 4 feet tall? this one had a great sword on its back! ok some serious amount of blade plus handle over his shoulder which should make drawing it dificult to say the least lol. Then there was the 6 swords/daggers in his boots. A sword in your boots? my mind screamed abuse at me for just trying to imagine that lol.
Nah, if you watch the DM's commentary you will learn that the dwarf actually was just looking "bad ass", while in fact he was a "minion", going down on any one hit that would have damaged him.

Anyway, the video series was amusing to say the least. You could learn much from watching other people play.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I've considered this, but my worry is that even with good editing it would come off as boring
don't underestimate what a good video-editing with post-processing and supporting background-music can do! ;-)
IMO in most times you'll get something like a "better" reality, if done right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
And the distraction is pretty bad, too. I have enough "stage fright" some nights as it is, much less if I knew I was being recorded.
usually this effect is primarily limited to the early stage of a recording... also it's not that much a problem, if it is clear that only the good scenes stay in... =)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, video