Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Chromemagnus
Banned

Default Now this is too easy...

Cancelled.

Last edited by Chromemagnus; 04-20-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Chromemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Now this is too easy...

CP /= CR.

An NPC's CP cost is, in no way, related to how powerful they are in combat. Others will wax eloquent about this, but a 300 point Chemist would be pwned by a 50 point soldier.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

So you want to reward your players for slaughtering movie stars and rock gods?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
DreadPirateLynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
CP /= CR.

An NPC's CP cost is, in no way, related to how powerful they are in combat. Others will wax eloquent about this, but a 300 point Chemist would be pwned by a 50 point soldier.
Not to mention that this actually requires the GM to completely write up all NPCs/Monsters that the characters come into contact with. Not a very good use of the GMs time IMHO.

On top of everything else, this would result in the PCs gaining CPs way too fast (unless of course the idea is to use this with the D&D XP table and give the PCs a set number of CPs when they get enough XP).
DreadPirateLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromemagnus View Post
Remember my question about DnD XP being converted to GURPS? Apparently for my brother, it's this easy.

XP = Defeated enemy's point total divided by #/ characters that participated (PC's + NPC's)

Any thoughts/comments/concerns?
Yeah, that's not a good idea for several reasons:

1) Points total of NPCs does not give any good measure of the NPC's combat abilities.

2) It forces the GM to calculate the exact prize of all NPC's, a lot of time wil be wasted with this.

3) It doesn't allow for custom monster rules such as "minions" or "bosses".

4) It's going to give rediculous amount of XP's per session. Well over 100 pts per session for a typical DF game.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Remember my question about DnD XP being converted to GURPS? Apparently for my brother, it's this easy.

XP = Defeated enemy's point total divided by #/ characters that participated (PC's + NPC's)

So if half a dozen people go up against a master villain built on 500 points and a shipload of 20 50-point thugs, they get 1,500/6 = 250 eeps apiece? That can't be right. Normal GURPS play would give 1/100 as much. Am I misunderstanding you in some way?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Chromemagnus
Banned

Cancelled.

Last edited by Chromemagnus; 04-20-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Chromemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
RyanW

I had a longer post written up, but realized that a) it could be taken as a little more confrontational than I intended (I intended friendly snarkiness, but may have missed the mark), and b) most of the points have already been made. I will add one point, though.

GURPS philosophy tends to reward roleplaying first, success second, and victory last. Basing experience primarily on defeated foes turns that upside down. PCs may become little more than muggers, corning people in dark allies and beating them up for loose XP.

While you can do that if that's the kind of game you want, it runs counter to the way GURPS was intended to work. Steve Jackson does not have an army of minions that will force you to play the game in any specific way (and if he had a army of minions, I'm sure he'd have better things for them to do), and if you have fun, more power to you. However, be aware that it may interfere with what GURPS does best: making three dimensional characters.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
GURPS philosophy tends to reward roleplaying first, success second, and victory last. Basing experience primarily on defeated foes turns that upside down. PCs may become little more than muggers, corning people in dark allies and beating them up for loose XP.
Given they way GURPS CPs work it means it's vastly more effective to kill high point value non-combatants then fight other fighters. Eat the Rich!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
thedot

Quote:

Memory rarely serves me, but IIRC what you are looking for is a way to emulate 3e D&D leveling in GURPS 4e.

I think what others are reading into this is that the XP you're talking about = GURPS CP. But I don't recall that as being the case in your previous thread. So, I don't forsee PC's necessarily spiraling out of control, gorged on hundreds of CP/session.

I do, however, share the concern others have posted about GURPS CP totals not being necessarily (or in some cases at all) reflective of combat capability. D&D, from what I remember, was largely designed around characters, regardlesss of class, becoming more of a combat threat in one or more ways as they increase in levels.

That's just not the case in GURPS. Of course, the GM could design all of the characters that way. In particular, if you & your group want to run a GURPS game in the style of D&D, you probably should all design characters that way. But it is perfectly feasable in GURPS to have a character with a high CP total who folds on the first hit in combat.

It wouldn't make sense, FREX, for a party of 4 adventurers to gain 50 XP a piece by busting open the head of the 200 CP elder statesman, who has zero CP invested in combat skills, and also gain 50 XP for defeating the 200 CP bloodthirsty barbarian, who has 150 of his CP invested in combat skills.

IIRC, you are the GM for this campaign. So my main advice is if D&D is the style, you ought to design the NPCs so they increase in combat capability the higher their CP total. That way, if you are granting XP toward some "level up" number based on defeating them in combat, it will be a reasonable reward.

I hope that helps.
thedot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dnd, exp, formula, gurps, level up