Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: GURPS 4th Campaign Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromemagnus View Post
I've actually already had the PCs make their characters and I know how they'll meet and interact with each other (possibly a couple family related characters) and I'm just looking for the campaign idea for now.
What kind of characters have they made? That's often the best sign of what style of campaign they want to play in.

Edit: That'll teach me to post slow.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
trooper6

Can you tell us something more about them? What are their backgrounds? What sort of disadvantages and advantages do they have? Do they have any goals? Enemies? Do they have any interesting hobby or job skills?

In short is there anything on the character sheet that might be a place to create a plot hook?

Last edited by trooper6; 02-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #13
Wicked Lurker

Quote:
We have a Warrior/Paladin, a Ranger, and a Mage.

I was thinking about a campaign starting out with the mages father/teacher (the father being the King of the Kingdom) and having him kidnapped, and the mage would seek out an amazing fighter (the paladin) to accompany him on his journey of finding his father. The paladin would suggest his brother (the ranger) as a navigator.

Good idea?
Hi,
Sounds good to me - I think that could work well.

Since you asked what others are playing: I am currently GMing/playing a campaign together with another GM (we take turns) in a world where a great catastrophe happened many ages ago that left most of the high-powered magic useless. Only recently some of the artefacts (teleporters mostly) started working and it seems something is going on. Basically we run Dungeon Fantasy with various classic adventures and every now and then throw in a little bit of "bigger picture" things.

☼Online courses and free stuff on GM-ing☼
Wicked Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
capnq

Quote:
About TL4 (Age of Sail 1450 A.D.+)
If you're interested in GURPS Banestorm, the nation of Araterre is TL 4 in some fields, notably shipbuilding and fencing weapons.

The rest of Yrth is predominantly TL3, though, so Banestorm may not be quite what you're looking for. GURPS Fantasy has a lot of good advice about designing your own fantasy campaign.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Well, all my PCs are Humans, and it's a pretty general setup.

We have a Warrior/Paladin, a Ranger, and a Mage.

I was thinking about a campaign starting out with the mages father/teacher (the father being the King of the Kingdom)
Does the mage have the social status to be the son of a king?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Chromemagnus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Does the mage have the social status to be the son of a king?
Yes, he does.
Chromemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
whswhs

Here are the GURPS campaigns I proposed the last time I circulated a list of possible new campaigns:

___Fixers: Player characters will be, not consulting detectives, but consulting criminals: highly skilled professionals for hire by organized crime groups that need their special skills. They can have professional standards but can’t have any objection to breaking the law. We might have each player running two characters, to increase the number of options for skill sets. Characters will have enough points to be good at a wide range of skills, but not at everything! Emphasis on skill use and problem solving.
___Heartland: During the era of Prohibition, the United States sees a secret war between two factions: the Mafia, covertly allied with the Roman Catholic Church, and the vampire-dominated nativists of the Ku Klux Klan. Player characters will be anti-vampire agents of the Mafia. High combat with lots of blood shed, in more senses than one.
___Lögreglusaga: A Viking police procedural, set in an alternate history where Viking raiders have conquered Constantinople and circumnavigated the world. Sworn men of a chieftain in the trading town of Vindaborg, located in the interior of Vinland, keep the peace and investigate crimes. Technology is comparatively low, about equal to the English Civil War, and forensics is limited to naked-eye observation; most criminal investigations depend mainly on asking the right questions. The main focus will be on legal conflicts and procedures, but this is a Viking campaign and there will be fighting as well. Rules system: GURPS.
___Mentat: Immediately after World War II, but with a historical divergence: effective mind-control drugs were developed before and during the war, making possible most of the effects attributed to hypnosis, telepathy, and brainwashing in popular fiction. Induced autism drugs made digital computers unnecessary for codebreaking and no one has them. Can the United States use this technology to preserve world freedom, or will it be corrupted by the use of these methods? And how long can they be kept secret, or is the secret already out? Agents of the United States’s most secret organization confront these issues.
–––Water Margin: An alternate history campaign set in a world ruled by the Ming Dynasty, in the Middle Kingdom’s English province. Swashbuckling adventurers deal with the problems of an empire losing the favor of Heaven, including scheming Chinese officials, ambitious English gentry, pirates, the Irish triads, and the threat of intervention by the elite Eyes of Heaven. Characters will be larger than life; action will be cinematic, with both Western and Asian martial arts available, but no overt supernatural elements.
___Xenophobia: Humanity has gone to the stars, encountered new life and new civilizations, and set up trade with some of them—but it’s neither easy nor safe. Aliens in this setting are really alien. At one of the main ports, the personnel of a special agency work to facilitate trade, resolve conflicts, and limit humanity’s exposure to unknown dangers, while trying to build up humanity’s credit as trustworthy business partners. Characters will be human but may have unusual abilities. Play will be realistic, with emphasis on mysteries and negotiations.

And, yes, I'm confident that GURPS really could handle all of those.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
nik1979

Quote:
Thank you Nik, I've just uploaded the character sheet (named CharacterSheetAndrew) I hope people will get some use out of it

Heres the link

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...FQlN2Z0E&hl=en

To get the right size go to File, Download as, Excel
Great Character sheet
:D thanks for sharing
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
I want to start a campaign with some of my friends in the Medieval Fantasy setting, but I want to hear some other ideas before I incorporate my own.
Medieval fantasy is a very good place to start, so just go ahead. If you have specific questions about any aspect of GURPS, except fixing that which is broken, you can almost always get a lot of help in here.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
Chromemagnus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Medieval fantasy is a very good place to start, so just go ahead. If you have specific questions about any aspect of GURPS, except fixing that which is broken, you can almost always get a lot of help in here.
Honestly, I just want some other Campaign ideas for A medieval fantasy (TL4) setting, before i use my own
Chromemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th edition, campaign ideas, campaign types, gurps