Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Req Squig stats for GURPS

This is going to sound really dumb but one day about ten years ago I grabbed a random fist full of minis for a pick up game. It was mostly squigs.
I have an unabiding hate for GW so I have no interest in their materials but when I looked at the little death balls with legs and dagger teeth and no possible way they could have naturally evolved, I decided to run them like Rust Monsters but they go after magic and magic items, not metal.

(For full disclosure, to make them a tiny bit more plausible I'm using the Reaper 'Razormouth' as my design model. The old batch of minis went to a friend long ago who did GW.)

I'd be interested in people's ideas what the stats would be for squigs. I had them 3e stated but lost those notes.
I appreciate any thoughts folks may care to share.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Req Squig stats for GURPS

A squig would probably have Crushing Attack 4d (Armor Piercing, /10, +200%; Melee, C-1, -20%) [56], representing their ability to threaten even heavily armored humans. Any form of ork life should also probably have DR 10 (Tough Skin, -40%) [25], Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous) [40], Recovery [10], and Regeneration (Regular) [25]. DR and Homogeneous would represent the multiple redundant organs of ork life while Recovery and Regeneration would represent the ability of ork life to recover from almost any injury.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:09 AM   #3
Hyrneson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A squig would probably have Crushing Attack 4d (Armor Piercing, /10, +200%; Melee, C-1, -20%) [56], representing their ability to threaten even heavily armored humans.
Crushing, not piercing? Those dagger like teeth?
Old 02-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Gnashing and tearing have always been terms that I have associated with Squigs, which suggests crushing instead of piercing to me. Piercing would be a possibility, but a lot of flexible armor is more resistant to piercing damage than crushing damage, though that may not be a concern with the Armor Divisor.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Piercing is about a single deep hole. Its reserved almost exclusively for guns, and suffers substantial losses in effectiveness against machines, undead, and inanimate objects.

Cutting could actually be a candidate for the bite, if you want to emphasize the sharp nature of the teeth and their ability to rip and shred.

Crushing does look like a good fit for them though. They have massive mouths that look like they can bring enormous bite force to bear. Crushing in gurps doesn't preclude the absence of sharp points as part of the damage. So I think crushing really is the best choice.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Daigoro

What damage type does GURPS give to crocodile bites?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:30 AM   #7
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A squig would probably have Crushing Attack 4d (Armor Piercing, /10, +200%; Melee, C-1, -20%) [56], representing their ability to threaten even heavily armored humans. Any form of ork life should also probably have DR 10 (Tough Skin, -40%) [25], Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous) [40], Recovery [10], and Regeneration (Regular) [25]. DR and Homogeneous would represent the multiple redundant organs of ork life while Recovery and Regeneration would represent the ability of ork life to recover from almost any injury.
Are orks still fungi in the GW continuum? They were at one stage but I lose track.
Some kind of high pain threshold would also be appropriate - I seem to recall that orks don't really do pain.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
borithan

Pretty sure they are, at least in 40k (less sure they ever were in Warhammer Fantasy, which didn't really go into their origins much). At least there are still references to them reproducing via spore etc. There was also a point where Squigs were the result of Tyranid engineering with Ork genetic material (pretty sure *that* is no longer canon).

Looking at the Razormouth model, I would probably lean towards crushing for it's teeth. They don't actually seem that sharp, and (possibly more importantly) it doesn't look like that mouth would close in such a way to really drive the teeth into the target.

Last edited by borithan; 02-17-2021 at 10:20 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
Racer

Squigs & Orkoids /Goblinoids are symbiotic animals/fungi now , I think ? It seems to change with each new edition or novel .

Players also seem to forget that many CAN BOUNCE , and be ridden by small - Goblin , Halfling , Gnome - sized beings . Like living Space Hoppers ... ( no idea what Space Hoppers are called in North America - they were ubiquitous in my Childhood . )

Last edited by Racer; 02-24-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #10
Hyrneson

THANK YOU ALL for the great insights and evaluations. I didn't abandon the thread nor expect someone to stat out the critter for me.
I have moved from the initial inspiration to the Reaper Razormouth as they seem more biologically viable that the 40K Squig.
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.p...26-razormouth/

I got pulled under in the tide of life for a week or so but I have been working on the idea. Taking what has been discussed here and also blending the Dire Boar from the GURPS repository has given me a good base to work from.
http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/m:dire-boar

I'm researching the books how to do the 'eats magic items' similar to how Rust Monster eat metal.
Also I'd like the group's thoughts on if I should give it some magic resistance.
I hope to post the first draft stats Friday.

Again, I appreciate the master mind help!

Tags
homebrew, monsters, squig, stats