Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #41
munin

Default Re: Giving Allies damage bonuses (power review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
... The quoted sentence only means that if you take area effect and force field, the affects others enhancement will only cost 50%, no matter how big the area, or how many people can get inside. ...
My interpretation is that the third paragraph (top of p. P108) states which abilities can take Affects Others -- movement and physical transformations. The fourth paragraph then offers an exception/option for defensive abilities -- but only if you also add Force Field and Area Effect. I don't see anywhere that the description for Affects Others allows it for defensive abilities without requiring those two as well.
Quote:
Why is it so hard to model that for granting extra damage?
It's not hard at all. It's just Affliction (Aura of Power). We're just discussing the benefits and drawbacks of Aura of Power vs. Affects Others.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #42
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I disagree with the folks that have been saying you can only take affects others on DR if you also take area effect and force field. The quoted sentence only means that if you take area effect and force field, the affects others enhancement will only cost 50%, no matter how big the area, or how many people can get inside. By default, the Affects Others enhancement is a leveled enhancement that you take for each additional person you want a given advantage to be able to affect. I think if you wanted to, by the RAW, you could apply affects others to DR, and each level you buy would mean being able to provide for each person touching you.

Slight tangent... this seems like a pretty straightforward thing... making an aura that's basically like the auras in Diablo 2 for the paladin class. It's an area that grants allies a benefit like extra damage, extra protection, and so on. Why is it so hard to model that for granting extra damage?
Reread The third paragraph of Affects Others again. It specifies Affects Others is for Movement or Transformations to keep the party together, and can go on other abilities that do the same thing.

It IS a very straight forward thing.

Q:"I want to buff my friends, what advantage is that?"
A: "Affliction with Added Advantage"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #43
kdtipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Reread The third paragraph of Affects Others again. It specifies Affects Others is for Movement or Transformations to keep the party together, and can go on other abilities that do the same thing.

It IS a very straight forward thing.

Q:"I want to buff my friends, what advantage is that?"
A: "Affliction with Added Advantage"
Huh... I re-read it. I'll agree with the interpretation, though not the logic. Why limit the enhancement to transformations and travel? How awesome would it be to grant dark vision or regeneration? And the cost for affects others seems about right to me for something like that.

As for how easy it is to represent, Affliction has to be heavily modified to come close. And the fact that there's a long discussion about it indicates to me that it's not simple.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
JCurwen3

Quote:
Huh... I re-read it. I'll agree with the interpretation, though not the logic. Why limit the enhancement to transformations and travel? How awesome would it be to grant dark vision or regeneration? And the cost for affects others seems about right to me for something like that.

As for how easy it is to represent, Affliction has to be heavily modified to come close. And the fact that there's a long discussion about it indicates to me that it's not simple.
Wasn't it also applied to FP? There was an article in Pyramid that gave zombies FP (or ER, I forget) with Affects Others so that their necromancer controller could tap them for spell casting, I think.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #45
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Wasn't it also applied to FP? There was an article in Pyramid that gave zombies FP (or ER, I forget) with Affects Others so that their necromancer controller could tap them for spell casting, I think.
Normally a necromancer, summoner or wizard would purchase FP with the Granted by Familiar / Minion limitation. Do you recall which Pyramid issue this alternative showed up in?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #46
the_matrix_walker

Quote:

The length of a discussion should not be fuel in and of itself to the question of doubt. Arguing that the world is flat for centuries will not make it so. /fnord]

That said, it's not super munchkinny or anything, it's just that the intent of the Enhancement is a little different. I don't see a big problem with a GM using it for his game that way, it wouldn't be a game breaker or anything. When discussing things on the board, I assume the desired result should be RAW, unless otherwise stated.

The Affliction isn't very heavily modified to start with, it just get's that way as you add more features and details... the DR was similarly dense with modifiers. The only enhancement on Affliction you need to turn it into a "buffing Power" is Added Advantage.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 09-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I don't generally get Pyramid.... tight budget.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #48
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Normally a necromancer, summoner or wizard would purchase FP with the Granted by Familiar / Minion limitation. Do you recall which Pyramid issue this alternative showed up in?
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy offer as -50% vairent of Granted by Familiar for Energy Reserves called Drains Familiar.

However Kromm as posted to the forums that Affect Others is a way for you to Share your Energy Reserves with someone you touch.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #49
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
From the Improved Zombie template from Pyramid #3/1: Tools of the Trade - Wizards, in the article Necromantic Tools by Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch himself:
Energy Reserve 3 (Magical; Affects Others, 1 person, +50%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%) [18];
Special notes in the article were:
The ability to generate three points of magical energy to share with a wizard within two yards. In battle, the necromancer could draw energy from any of 18 undead arranged in two concentric rings around him and still have room to maneuver. The zombie lending him energy must take a Ready maneuver (not fight!) to do so. He can only draw on one zombie's energy at a time – so he gets 3 energy per turn, once per zombie, and not (3 x number of zombies) all at once.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #50
the_matrix_walker

It is interesting to note that all usage with an Affects Others Energy Reserve comes off the same pool, and not everyone benefits from the full benefits of their own reserve (like an Affliction would grant) which is consistent with the force field variant that uses one field to affect everyone.

It is a consistency worth noting.

Tags
aura of power